IBM Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview about 1 hours long. Only one person interviewed me. He asked me technical questions, questions about my research, courses I have taken, what all interests me, demonstrated leadership experience (co-curricular activities). Technical questions were on database, data structures, distributed computing and networks. He asked a lot about my research (even undergrad) and what all I learned from my courses. He also asked whether I am comfortable with giving presentations etc.

After the long phone round I also had to take their online aptitude test IPATO. It was quiet easy and not long (45 min in all). After 3 weeks of waiting I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you serve hundreds/thousands of clients requesting server/database resources when you have only one server? What algorithm, technique and points to keep in mind.   Answer Question
  • How to check stack overflows?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in March 2010.

Interview

I was asked initially the basics programming questions related to kernel lever device driver programming. Later on they shifted to asking questions pertaining to problem solving and puzzles like finding an easy way to tell whether a point lies within a n sided polygon.

Interview Questions

• Write code to tell how you would seperate decimal digits from an integer.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would tell whether a point is within a n sided polygon?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2011.

Interview

I was applying for a student position in IBM Israel. I had 3 meetings. The first meeting was half background check and half Algorithm test. The second meeting was a pen and paper C++ Test for about 1.5 hour. The last meeting was to program a simple calculator (input example : " 2+3*(4-2) ..") in c# using visual studio, about 1.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• How to design a spreadsheet program? How do you know to update a field after another field was changed that it depended on?   2 Answers
    • How to create a calculator that gets a string as an input. for example "2+3*4-(4+5)*3"?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied via university recruiting, they got back to me within a month and brought me into an office in Toronto for a one on one interview with the team leader, and then a test with one of developers on the team. The interview consisted of some standard data structure and algorithm questions, and then some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• A situational questions about what should be done if something ambiguous was assigned to you, and nobody (either the manager, client or anyone else on the team) was available.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM (Winchester, England (UK)).

Interview

After sending in an application for the graduate program, received an email to complete the IPAT two weeks later. On passing the IPAT, was called to an assessment centre ( a couple of months later).
    Assessment centre:
    A written test to assess your ability to think analytically and logically. No actual specific coding knowledge required although if you have done programming it will definitely help you to think in the right way for the test.
    Two group exercises, one interview, one presentation, One communications exercise - tests IBM competencies

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate your passion for technology outside of work   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online after finishing my undergrad. They did not reply me for more than a month, so I asked my friend to refer me and then things moved quickly. I was contacted directly by hiring manager. I gave IBM's IQ test and then decided the date to do a phone interview with hiring manager. In phone interview, I was asked bit manipulation question, reverse a single linked list and anagram questions. It was about 45 mins interview with all tech question. I knew all the questions and had them practiced before hand so I did pretty well. During the phone interview, I was told that I'm selected for on-site interview. I choose to give on-site interview monday of next week. I had about 3 days to prepare, I did not choose to wait longer because I did not have job that time. It was 5.5 hours of on-site interview which included 4 interviews and 1 lunch interview. lunch interview was not counted in selection process. There were 3 tech interviews and 1 manager interview. Each 1 hour long, in manager interview I was asked behavior questions and other standard easy HR questions. Job was related to compiler so they asked me lot of low level questions including reduce the cache contention in matrix multiplication and etc. Some of the coding question were:

1. Find 2^n without using any airthemetic operator. 1 >> n
    2. Find double of a number without using airthmetic and lots lots of bit manipulation questions.
    2. Reduce cache contention in given code. Code was matrix multiplication algorithm.
    3. Explain in pseudo code, how overriding a functions in OOO languages work. And is overriding function resolved at compile time? And how about function overloading?
    4. Write a function that takes two unsigned int and returns true if multiplication of these two integers will be overflow (means number exceed limit of sizeof(unsigned int) bytes) otherwise returns false.
    5. Design stack using single linked list.
    6. Given an array of positive and negative ints , find an continuous subarray with maximum sum. On first try I was able to write an algorithm with o(1) space and o(n) time complexity so he was happy.
    7. Write a basic hashing algorithm (then he asked my why I did this way and how can I improve). And some theory about has functions.

If you applying in compiler department be sure to prepare bit manip questions and know some basic things of compilers like parsing, linking, how compiled languages different from interpreted ones, how 32 bit compiled program diff from 64 bit and other basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Reduce cache contention on given code. Code was multiple multiplication algorithm. I did not have slightest clue of how to do that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good salary already as new graduate.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

first round of interview is the technical test. i get one hour to answer alot of technical question. then , it is the oral interview. A brief self introduction and tell the interviewer why you want to join the company. after that, wait for second interview.

Interview Questions

• delete a node for linkedlist. then reverse the string.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

After the phone screening and coding challenge there is the on site interview. It takes 3-4 hours during which you meet the entire project team. Some may ask technical questions, but generally they ask behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Social/Behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM (Miami, FL).

Interview

Long tedious and boring The process seemed like it was going to be easy because the Xbase equestrians on the online application but the phone if you was quite difficult I didn't know what to say.

Interview Questions

• Okay benefit the company what skills do you have that will bring value to the entity   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hortolândia (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Hortolândia (Brazil)) in June 2015.

Interview

I have found the job on LinkedIn and submitted my résumé on IBM jobs site. After that I received a phone call to validate some of my informations and then started to take part into the selection process which consists of a logic test, a language proficiency test and an interview. This last one was to double check my skills with some background experience check and another language proficiency test this time by conversation during part of the interview to check my english.