IBM Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2014

2.7

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM.

I applied online, got an email saying they were interested, and had two phone interviews (first personality, second technical) followed by a three hour online skills and logic test that made my brain hurt but that I apparently passed. Got the offer and was very excited, but decided on another position.

Interview Questions

I took another offer at a financial firm.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Kind of disappointing process to be honest. Applied through my school job board, got an email about an interview. When they called me, it was a call conference with about 5 members of the team, they asked no technical questions, just stuff about my background and offered information about the position.

After that, I just got an email and a call from a manager with a job offer. I think this approach lets incompetent interns to get onboard.

Salary based on credit hours

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM.

The first interview I had was a 30 minute purely technical interview done via telephone. Asked questions mostly pertaining to Java and OO programming. Not too hard. Called back for a second interview that was not planned at all. He called me and it was an hour and half long. Many more java and OO questions. Asked about some Big-O notation and sorting algorithms. Some more obscure stuff. Asked about SQL knowledge.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

I submitted an application on my school's career website and got an on campus interview. Was not asked many technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I knew a lot of technologies that were on my resume. Seemed pointless.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Set up a phone interview after on campus career fair

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Met at a career fair, was contacted by a recruiter to schedule on-site interview. I had two interviews one with the managers of the team and one with the technical team. Managers interview was mostly about my background and how I would handle behavioral situations. Technical team just asked me about my technical background and different challenges I have had in my classes. I thought there would be coding or programming based questions but there weren't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM.

I was recruited by a professor who had connections within IBM and a division was looking for a software developer intern. I had a phone interview and was hired. The technical questions were very simple (if you know the CLR Algorithm book).

As an intern / co-op there isn't much negotiation, the salary is based on % completion toward your degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Littleton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2011.

I received an email that said they wanted to set up an initial phone screening. The initial phone screening was normal HR questions (i.e. Why IBM? Where do you see yourself in five years?). Then about 2 days later I had a phone interview with several different teams asking questions like how to update an immutable string in JAVA. Basically they wanted to know how JAVA dealt with Strings. What was a closure and why is it useful in JavaScript? Then they did an IQ test online.

Interview Questions
    • What is a closure and how is it useful?   Answer Question
    • If you had no measuring tools how would you estimate how many ping pong balls would fit in a school bus?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

I got a message from a hiring manager in IBM that he selected me from thousands of resume and would like to talk to me in phone. Then we set up a phone interview about half week later.

Then the manage came and chatted with me about half an hour. The talk was mainly about my past project experience on my resume. After that, he asked me to go to IBM SVL to see their lead.

In SVL I met their project lead and talk about half hour. He introduced their project and ask me some questions about my experience that matched their project technology. what I can remember is some technilogy about JAVA, Jboss and JMS. My answer of Jboss part was bad, I guess that's the reason why I was rejected.

Then about half week later I got a rejection letter. I felt a little surprise since I talked happily with IBM guys and I haven't been asked to a technical interview yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beaver, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaver, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in March 2010.

They ask about reserve a linked list, some basic C questions including inline functions, static and non static, difference between new and allocate in C

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!