IBM Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

2.6

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Kind of disappointing process to be honest. Applied through my school job board, got an email about an interview. When they called me, it was a call conference with about 5 members of the team, they asked no technical questions, just stuff about my background and offered information about the position. After that, I just got an email and a call from a manager with a job offer. I think this approach lets incompetent interns to get onboard.

Negotiation

Salary based on credit hours

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The first interview I had was a 30 minute purely technical interview done via telephone. Asked questions mostly pertaining to Java and OO programming. Not too hard. Called back for a second interview that was not planned at all. He called me and it was an hour and half long. Many more java and OO questions. Asked about some Big-O notation and sorting algorithms. Some more obscure stuff. Asked about SQL knowledge.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I submitted an application on my school's career website and got an on campus interview. Was not asked many technical questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I knew a lot of technologies that were on my resume. Seemed pointless.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview

Set up a phone interview after on campus career fair

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Interview

Met at a career fair, was contacted by a recruiter to schedule on-site interview. I had two interviews one with the managers of the team and one with the technical team. Managers interview was mostly about my background and how I would handle behavioral situations. Technical team just asked me about my technical background and different challenges I have had in my classes. I thought there would be coding or programming based questions but there weren't.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was recruited by a professor who had connections within IBM and a division was looking for a software developer intern. I had a phone interview and was hired. The technical questions were very simple (if you know the CLR Algorithm book).

Negotiation

As an intern / co-op there isn't much negotiation, the salary is based on % completion toward your degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

I got a message from a hiring manager in IBM that he selected me from thousands of resume and would like to talk to me in phone. Then we set up a phone interview about half week later. Then the manage came and chatted with me about half an hour. The talk was mainly about my past project experience on my resume. After that, he asked me to go to IBM SVL to see their lead. In SVL I met their project lead and talk about half hour. He introduced their project and ask me some questions about my experience that matched their project technology. what I can remember is some technilogy about JAVA, Jboss and JMS. My answer of Jboss part was bad, I guess that's the reason why I was rejected. Then about half week later I got a rejection letter. I felt a little surprise since I talked happily with IBM guys and I haven't been asked to a technical interview yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaver, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Beaver, OR) in March 2010.

Interview

They ask about reserve a linked list, some basic C questions including inline functions, static and non static, difference between new and allocate in C

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

Contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The first was an HR interview, asked general problem solving questions and some personality questions. The next day I heard back, set up a second technical interview (phone) with an HR manager and 3 members of different teams. Did a IQ test of sorts which involved mainly number sequences and math, but was told this would not affect my results; it was only for IBM records (they do not inform you of your results). Got an answer after a week.

Interview Questions

• HR interview: Without using a scale or any weight measuring instrument, calculate the weight of a Boeing 777.   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview: Question regarding data structures, more specifically trees.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

It was fairly simple and professional. Interviewer asked me about my previous projects, things I know, and some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Since this job was fairly junior, not too much problem solving mostly just definitions and such. What is heapsort? What is a binary tree?   Answer Question