IBM

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interview Details – Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Question – Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   Answer Question

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Standardized test with battery of questions.

Interview Question – Not any   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview Details – My interview was 1:1 for the first round and a panel for the second. The interview was pretty straightforward. We went through my resume and she asked about projects that I did for school. The panel interview was one of the technical guys asking about 3 tech questions.

Interview Question – I didn't have any unexpected questions, I went through extensive interview training prior   Answer Question

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Was quite simple for me in that I was a contractor on a small team of contractors. Which is a good way for both potential employee to learn about IBM and also for IBM to learn about you, sort of a test drive. Key things are about execution, being thorough and thinking both big and long-term.

Interview Question – Was some time ago and really didn't do much of an interview, more of a trial. Most difficult thing was learning and programming on OS/2.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty quick and simple, I had another offer at the same time. I came back with a few things I would like better, which they adjusted the salary but didn't change the vacation time.

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied online and several months later scheduled two phone calls. The first phone call was simply preliminary background information such as what they department does and Q&A about my resume. The second phone call was a brief technical interview. This can vary depending on the department and position you apply. The last thing I had to do was to take IBM's IPAT test which is basically a skills/IQ test to determine how well you solve problems.

Interview Question – The IPAT test was strange but not too difficult so make sure you practice number series/patterns (ie: 2 4 6 8 .... what is the next number ) and converting word problems to algebra equations.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with project manager, 1 phone interview with team member, IQ test

Negotiation Details – IBM uses band system to determine your salary range. There is a lower and higher bound of the band you are in. Definitely negotiate if you feel underpaid

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Two rounds of interview, first technical and second managerial round. Technical is difficult to get through but after that Managerial round is easy one. Most of the times they negotiation on salary part but I heard asking technical or case study types questions as well.

Interview Question – They will ask you more technical questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Had an interview on campus and then went to the rtp office to meet with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Just questions on stuff on my resume, nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Met with 6 folks (some managers and tech leads) in a single day that began at 9am and ended at 4:30pm. Managers tended to describe the products and gauge how my personality might fit within the team. Technical leads grilled me on some of the finer points of Java development, heap/stack questions, and JEE. I was also asked brainteaser / riddle style questions. While in the presence of the interviewer, I was asked to draw on the whiteboard and talk my way through solving the riddle.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Question – The brainteaser was quite tricky. I was not told whether my answer was correct or acceptable, however there was plenty of room within the context of the question to be creative.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 114 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.