IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.8

124 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

*Please note that due to the size of the company this process may vary.

The interview came in three distinct phases. All were conducted over the phone. I was referred to the company by an employee so they seemed to be confident to not need an in person interview before making the decision.

Phase 1 was speaking with someone from the skills management department. She was a neutral party unaffialited with the department I would be interviewing with. She gave a breif overview of the company and what the position would be. After confirming I was still interested I continued to phase 2.

Next was a discussion with the hiring manager. This was not technical at all; mostly a meet and greet for both parties. I was asked mostly about my background and what I why I wished to work for the company. The manager shared some details about how the department operates and what I would be doing if I were to accept the offer.

Phase 3 was the technical interview. I had expected a number of whiteboard style questions but there was a distinct lack of them. I had already sent in some code samples of a game that I had created previously. The most technical questions related to the reason why I had made certain design choices when designing the code for the game. After that, the questions become more about myself and why I was passionate about technology and to see if I really enjoyed working in this field. Once I believe the interviewer was satisfied with my ability the interview became less about one way questions and more about free flowing conversation to see if I would mesh well with the team. Shortly after this interview the hiring manager called to let me know that they would be extending an offer to me soon.

The experience was a very positive one.

Interview Questions
  • What was most unexpected was the lack of typical whiteboard style programming questions in favor of other topics.   Answer Question
The neogotian phase was very pleasant. However, the division of HR being in India and my department being in the US caused the process to move quite slowly. After getting put in touch with the proper people to speak with in the US the process was much smoother. After receiving the initial offer I did my homework and came up with a very solid counter offer. The counter was accepted without issue.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Littleton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, MA

interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Questions
    • There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Questions
    • General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question
    It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Engineer Interview

Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Questions
    • Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Standardized test with battery of questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

My interview was 1:1 for the first round and a panel for the second. The interview was pretty straightforward. We went through my resume and she asked about projects that I did for school. The panel interview was one of the technical guys asking about 3 tech questions.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have any unexpected questions, I went through extensive interview training prior   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!