IBM

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Technical round was pretty simple. Basically a phone call interview with a website where they could see what code i was writing. The program they told me to write was pretty simple.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineering Interview

On Campus screening. Then there was an Interview with a hiring manager. After speaking with a hiring manager, if there was chemistry and an interest between both parties, an offer letter was sent out within the week. All interviews were technical. Two on campus interviews and one phone interview with the hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Given a level of a tree (level k) , print all of nodes at that level.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2015.

It gave me a technical phone interview first. They just asked one basic algorithm question. After that, they gave me an on-site. It took 4.5 hours and interviewed with 4 engineer and one manager. Every engineer asked me 2~4 algorithm questions. I had answered all the questions very well. However, they felt my explanation was not good since my English was not good. They still rejected me at end.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked me what I know about the company. Also, one engineer asked about the rotation of the BST. I have done it before, but it is hard to solve this quickly since it has many case needing to consider about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2014.

I applied through an employee referral for an entry level software engineer as I am a new BS graduate. I interviewed with IBM tea leaf in SFO after an initial phone interview for about 20 mins. The phone interview was very casual asking questions about your background and some OOP concepts. A week later I was invited onsite scheduled to interview with 6 people - developers, QA and director. Some of my interviewers didn't show up to work and in order to replace them some other random people interviewed me and it was a little disorganized.
     Questions were mainly about my background, resume, and projects etc. They grilled me on each and every project/work experience on my resume and asked me questions on how I did whatever I did. I was asked a few technical questions here and there but no extensive whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • write pseudo code to add a node to a singly linked list   Answer Question
    • have you ever used exception handling in your projects? any OOP concepts?   Answer Question
    • how did the frontend connect with your backend in your project? How do you parse a JSON object?   Answer Question
    • What is the most efficient sorting algorithm? What is its runtime?   View Answer
    • how do you check if a number is odd or even?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Meet with about 5 managers and teams, it's a day long. They do more speaking than you have too. Be honest and tell them your interests. The managers go over what they do and sometimes they describe the entire organization. The questions they generally have are not too difficult, but you should be on top of things just in case. This didn't happen to me, but someone had to write a small circuit example for an engineering job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

No Technical Questions. Mostly common scenario questions. Initially had a phone call from recruiter. Then invited for hiring event. You get to talk to more than one division. You will then be invited for on-site. Offer arrives in 3 weeks or less.

Offer came late

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2014.

I submitted my resume to the career fair for IBM. A few weeks later, I was contacted by a manager that they were interested in doing a phone interview. I did the phone screen and then was followed up with another technical phone interview a week later. Both went well so later on I then took the IPAT test and submitted more details on my application. I later then received an offer. I asked for an extension to decide after some interviews with other companies. For now, I will say that I "declined" the offer, but it is still on the table and who knows if I will accept it in the coming month.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the printf statement take so long to print from the Arduino in one of my projects?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

I applied online, got an email saying they were interested, and had two phone interviews (first personality, second technical) followed by a three hour online skills and logic test that made my brain hurt but that I apparently passed. Got the offer and was very excited, but decided on another position.

Interview Questions

I took another offer at a financial firm.