IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.8

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IBM (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I contacted a manager who had sent out an email to our school's mailing list about a software development internship. I emailed him and he contacted me with a time for a phone interview. There was only one phone interview that was ~45 minutes. No coding technical questions, just questions about knowledge. There were no other rounds. They immediately made an offer a few days after the internship.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Originally, housing was not included in my salary. I asked about housing and a substantial stipend was given to me.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Columbus, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

one hour interview. tell us about yourself , technical questions and project based questions.
    aptitude problems need to completed in forty minutes. programming puzzles need to be solved agin in 40 min

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Incredibly prompt responses. Got an offer two days after the onsite interview. Wonderful interview experience. Very impressed by how they treated all of the candidates. This interview experience changed a lot of stereotypes I had about IBM.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your process if you are given 6 weeks to work on a project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred by my Uncle, who works for IBM. I would assume this allowed me to skip a step or two, but I know it at least short-listed me. I received an email from one of the managers who schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of two parts: the first was with a group of managers who talked about the me as a person, why I chose the school I did, some of my background, mostly just general personality questions. They then left the room and brought in a group of techs. The tech group asked more about my programming experience and some of the programs and projects I had listed on my resume. Overall the interview took about 1:30, and ended on good terms. I heard back quickly about moving on to the next part of the process, and I expect to have the official offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask any specific testing questions, just wanted to know what kind of experience I had and what I'd worked with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM (Costa Mesa, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

On arrival, was given a tour around the entire building.
    Interview was conducted inside one of the conference rooms.
    Casual conversation, not too many technical questions since technical aspect of the interview was done through email prior to the actual interview.
    After the interview was over, was taken around the office and shown the recruiters cubicle and introduced to other interns. Was shown where the managers office were and who would contact me if I was to move to the second phase of the interview

Interview Questions

• Name a goal that you set for yourself and how you achieved it.
      Tell me about a time you did not agree with the higher ups and how you dealt with it.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 weeks after sending resume, got a response for video-code exam. A link was sent by email. I am allowed to choose to start in 3 days.
    If click the link,the interview have to finished in 2-3 hours.
    Questions: introduce yourself;
    some behavior questions;
    2 code writing
    1 explanation on why you were doing the code in the way

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Technical round was pretty simple. Basically a phone call interview with a website where they could see what code i was writing. The program they told me to write was pretty simple.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

On Campus screening. Then there was an Interview with a hiring manager. After speaking with a hiring manager, if there was chemistry and an interest between both parties, an offer letter was sent out within the week. All interviews were technical. Two on campus interviews and one phone interview with the hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Given a level of a tree (level k) , print all of nodes at that level.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2015.

Interview

It gave me a technical phone interview first. They just asked one basic algorithm question. After that, they gave me an on-site. It took 4.5 hours and interviewed with 4 engineer and one manager. Every engineer asked me 2~4 algorithm questions. I had answered all the questions very well. However, they felt my explanation was not good since my English was not good. They still rejected me at end.

Interview Questions

• The manager asked me what I know about the company. Also, one engineer asked about the rotation of the BST. I have done it before, but it is hard to solve this quickly since it has many case needing to consider about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral for an entry level software engineer as I am a new BS graduate. I interviewed with IBM tea leaf in SFO after an initial phone interview for about 20 mins. The phone interview was very casual asking questions about your background and some OOP concepts. A week later I was invited onsite scheduled to interview with 6 people - developers, QA and director. Some of my interviewers didn't show up to work and in order to replace them some other random people interviewed me and it was a little disorganized.
     Questions were mainly about my background, resume, and projects etc. They grilled me on each and every project/work experience on my resume and asked me questions on how I did whatever I did. I was asked a few technical questions here and there but no extensive whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions

• write pseudo code to add a node to a singly linked list   Answer Question
    • have you ever used exception handling in your projects? any OOP concepts?   Answer Question
    • how did the frontend connect with your backend in your project? How do you parse a JSON object?   Answer Question
    • What is the most efficient sorting algorithm? What is its runtime?   1 Answer
    • how do you check if a number is odd or even?   3 Answers