IBM

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Interview Question – basic algorithms and data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Interview Question – how you test GUI   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Question – I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Foster City, CA

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Question – General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Interview Details – Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Question – Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   Answer Question

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Standardized test with battery of questions.

Interview Question – Not any   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview Details – My interview was 1:1 for the first round and a panel for the second. The interview was pretty straightforward. We went through my resume and she asked about projects that I did for school. The panel interview was one of the technical guys asking about 3 tech questions.

Interview Question – I didn't have any unexpected questions, I went through extensive interview training prior   Answer Question

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Was quite simple for me in that I was a contractor on a small team of contractors. Which is a good way for both potential employee to learn about IBM and also for IBM to learn about you, sort of a test drive. Key things are about execution, being thorough and thinking both big and long-term.

Interview Question – Was some time ago and really didn't do much of an interview, more of a trial. Most difficult thing was learning and programming on OS/2.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty quick and simple, I had another offer at the same time. I came back with a few things I would like better, which they adjusted the salary but didn't change the vacation time.

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied online and several months later scheduled two phone calls. The first phone call was simply preliminary background information such as what they department does and Q&A about my resume. The second phone call was a brief technical interview. This can vary depending on the department and position you apply. The last thing I had to do was to take IBM's IPAT test which is basically a skills/IQ test to determine how well you solve problems.

Interview Question – The IPAT test was strange but not too difficult so make sure you practice number series/patterns (ie: 2 4 6 8 .... what is the next number ) and converting word problems to algebra equations.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with project manager, 1 phone interview with team member, IQ test

Negotiation Details – IBM uses band system to determine your salary range. There is a lower and higher bound of the band you are in. Definitely negotiate if you feel underpaid

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!