IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I talked with one lady at a university career fair, and she had me talk to two other more technical people there before telling me that I was a pretty good candidate. They told me to apply online, which I did. The online application process isn't the most exciting thing. It asks you a lot of questions about how many years of experience you have in each language/technology, among other strange questions. I was contacted two days later to set up a meeting with the manager of the team that was interested in hiring me. He just gauged my interest and evaluated fit. It was a very non-technical interview. A week later, I got an email with another (more detailed) application. It was equally boring. I also got an invitation to take an online "CAT" employment test. Basically it was a mathematics test whose results are apparently correlated to how far you will progress within IBM when you are employed. There are a few sections in the test, basic algebra questions, proportions, and patterns. Patterns was the trickiest part. You don't get your results when you finish, and my possible results still haunt me to this day.. I guess I did good enough! After taking the test, I was also contacted by another manager who wanted to discuss employment with me. Both managers had new hires on their teams call me to talk to me about the team and their work, and they let me ask any questions that I had. The two managers planned a visit day where I could meet people on both teams and get a feel for the culture. The day was split 4 hours each with a lunch in the middle where I could talk to both managers at the same time. After this day, I was given a few weeks to make my decision. I decided the team and accepted the offer. There were no technical interviews the entire time. You just have to be well-spoken enough to rock the socks off the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• They really wanted to hear about your passion for software engineering. Bonus points for giving examples of doing it outside of school/work.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I submitted a resume through a current IBM employee. I had a brief phone interview that only briefly touched my technical experience. I then took an aptitude test and that was that. It turns out it was an easy interview because they were not looking for specific technical experience (certain programming languages or what have you) but instead looking to see if you would be able to pick up on whatever would be thrown at you once you arrived.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a past programming project you worked on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Very personable interview to get to know who I am and what I'm familiar with. General technical questions but no trick or challenging or brain-teaser type questions. They talked more about what I would be doing on a day to day basis. They let me ask them about the company, my responsibilities, and just had a nice chat in general.

Interview Questions

• Familiar with Linux/Unix environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied the job from HireTeamMate, which is posted by the hiring manager directly (HireTeamMate is called the Uber for Hiring). I got contacted a few hours after applied, and got phone interivew the 2nd day.

Interview Questions

• first check my background on design and system, and OOP case design. then write some simple code over the phone. then some general questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university's program. After about a week, they contacted me through email. We scheduled a phone screen to see if we would be a good fit for each other. The phone interview was with 2 members of the team and consisted of details of what the job was about, both technical and behavioral questions relating to Computer Science, and technical questions about the projects on my resume. They wanted someone with strong Java and Javascript skills, and I was looking to get away from Java and only into Javascript. We agreed we were not meant to be and parted ways. Overall, very nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Why IBM? What do you know about IBM? Why Computer Science? What interests you about the position?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IBM (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I contacted a manager who had sent out an email to our school's mailing list about a software development internship. I emailed him and he contacted me with a time for a phone interview. There was only one phone interview that was ~45 minutes. No coding technical questions, just questions about knowledge. There were no other rounds. They immediately made an offer a few days after the internship.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Originally, housing was not included in my salary. I asked about housing and a substantial stipend was given to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Columbus, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

one hour interview. tell us about yourself , technical questions and project based questions. aptitude problems need to completed in forty minutes. programming puzzles need to be solved agin in 40 min

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Incredibly prompt responses. Got an offer two days after the onsite interview. Wonderful interview experience. Very impressed by how they treated all of the candidates. This interview experience changed a lot of stereotypes I had about IBM.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your process if you are given 6 weeks to work on a project.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IBM in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred by my Uncle, who works for IBM. I would assume this allowed me to skip a step or two, but I know it at least short-listed me. I received an email from one of the managers who schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of two parts: the first was with a group of managers who talked about the me as a person, why I chose the school I did, some of my background, mostly just general personality questions. They then left the room and brought in a group of techs. The tech group asked more about my programming experience and some of the programs and projects I had listed on my resume. Overall the interview took about 1:30, and ended on good terms. I heard back quickly about moving on to the next part of the process, and I expect to have the official offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask any specific testing questions, just wanted to know what kind of experience I had and what I'd worked with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM (Costa Mesa, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

On arrival, was given a tour around the entire building. Interview was conducted inside one of the conference rooms. Casual conversation, not too many technical questions since technical aspect of the interview was done through email prior to the actual interview. After the interview was over, was taken around the office and shown the recruiters cubicle and introduced to other interns. Was shown where the managers office were and who would contact me if I was to move to the second phase of the interview

Interview Questions

• Name a goal that you set for yourself and how you achieved it. Tell me about a time you did not agree with the higher ups and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question