IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.8

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Foster City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Questions
    • General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question
    It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Questions
    • Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Standardized test with battery of questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Was quite simple for me in that I was a contractor on a small team of contractors. Which is a good way for both potential employee to learn about IBM and also for IBM to learn about you, sort of a test drive. Key things are about execution, being thorough and thinking both big and long-term.

Interview Questions
    • Was some time ago and really didn't do much of an interview, more of a trial. Most difficult thing was learning and programming on OS/2.   Answer Question
    Pretty quick and simple, I had another offer at the same time. I came back with a few things I would like better, which they adjusted the salary but didn't change the vacation time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Littleton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, MA

interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Questions
    • There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!