IBM

Average Difficulty
121 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2013.

Interview Details – I have been with IBM since 2011. While it may be the workplace for some it is not fitting towards the environment that I wish to be in. Their learning resources are very limited due to the age gap of employees. Well seasoned employees retire before completing the training of new employees which leads to inadequate skill levels. The technology is very old and out dated, and as a developer you do not feel like you are contributing since the components are so separate from each other.

Interview Question – You have a dog?   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interview - one written test followed by a one on one interview with an existing full time employee. This is then concluded by an onsite interview with a panel of interviewers. Interviews were technical with the exception of the group were a few general questions were asked. Hiring was a simple phone call and email followed by a one day on-boarding process which took care of legal details and company pollicies.

Interview Question – The most difficult question started of with a recursion of the fibonacci series. Then it progressed into obtaining algorithms that fit a use case eg. create a recursion that generates this subset of the sequence represented by a binary tree but has to execute in (n*logn)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable salary, timings were relaxed.

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview Details – I found their job post in a Job Board (glassdoor.com) and applied to their site directly. Few days later or a week after they called me and invited me for an interview. I was not informed of the written exam.

Interview Question – There were lots of coding items in the written test for 1 hr. First part is multiple choice. About Java threading and memory management. Second part is the coding. Most items are using arraylist. I was not able to finish the exam so during the interview they asked me how did I arrived with my answers. I felt I was able to answer them well or convinced them with my answers but I was wrong to assume on that.
I made a follow up if I passed. Unfortunately, I receive the confirmation that they will not proceed further with my application.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lenexa, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2013.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter at the Spring Engineering Career Fair at the University of Iowa and he took my resume and we talked a little. Shortly afterward I received an e-mail from IBM asking to set up a phone interview. A couple hours after the phone interview I received an email from a hiring manager asking me what I would expect as a salary. Finally, over the course of about 2 weeks I had to fill out an application and take an aptitude test.

Interview Question – The question was "How do you swap two values without creating a new variable?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I'll be right out of college and the offer was good, so I did not haggle with them. They offered $65,000 with relocation assistance and a $2,000 lump-sum check for miscellaneous moving expenses.

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview Details – University Campus recruiting. Required to put in online application to apply for the job. Had to wait about a month to get interview. Interview was over the phone and took about 75 minutes.

Interview Question – Do you like hot weather?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – IBM offer is quite competitive.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

Interview Details – First, I was first brought in for a day long interview with three people. I was asked mainly behavioral questions and a few basic Java questions. Then after I was initially turned down, they contacted me for another interview during a second hiring phase. This was just a phone interview about my interests and to explain the opportunities available. Afterward, I was given a project to complete and present to a technical lead. Finally, they had me take an online intelligence test. I was offered the job shortly after that. It was a long process that began in March and ended in July, but there is an excellent job at the end of the road if you can stick with it.

Interview Question – Why would one use pass by reference instead of pass by value?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I thought the initial offer was fair.

Ha Che (Hong Kong)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in February 2010.

Interview Details – The test is of group basis. A group of candidates are required to finish a set of questions printed on the paper. The paper covers 3 aspects: Technical, English and Ap. Test. For the technical part, candidate can choose either answer in C++ or Java. I chose Java an the questions mainly focus on OO concepts like what is polymorphism...etc. The English part asked some simple English questions while the Ap. Test is a very demanding one. It requires candidates to finish 30 logical questions within 5 mins.

Interview Question – What is Polymorphism?   Answer Question

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in May 2010.

Interview Details – An online written, followed by telephonice interview, then a written test. Two technical rounds, a manger round with two people.

The HR is super slow, the worst I have seen keep calling or they would never process it :), and even after you are selected you may not get the offer for a month, be careful.

Interview Question – Core java dn design questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at IBM in July 2008.

Interview Details – i b m

Interview Question – Why do you think,"You are suitable for this job"   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in February 2011.

Interview Details – Write C++ code & review another.

Interview Question – Write in C++ a parser for a string that clean more then 1 occurrence of a given char.   View Answer

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!