IBM

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Met with 6 folks (some managers and tech leads) in a single day that began at 9am and ended at 4:30pm. Managers tended to describe the products and gauge how my personality might fit within the team. Technical leads grilled me on some of the finer points of Java development, heap/stack questions, and JEE. I was also asked brainteaser / riddle style questions. While in the presence of the interviewer, I was asked to draw on the whiteboard and talk my way through solving the riddle.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview Questions
    • The brainteaser was quite tricky. I was not told whether my answer was correct or acceptable, however there was plenty of room within the context of the question to be creative.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

1 round of telephone interview and another round of onsite interview with mixed behavioral and technical questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Technical interviews, technical/logic tests, not bad

No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Communication skills
    HP QC
    test automation
    test scenarios

Interview Questions
    Not much scope for negotiation

1) Phone interview with hiring manager
    2) On site interview => least technical and challenging out of all the other interviews I've had with other companies

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

The interview process was very easy and consisted of 3 phone interviews of about a half hour a piece. They asked no technical questions - only questions about my resume. I am still waiting to hear on an offer or denial.

Interview Questions
    • They only asked me questions about my resume. I supposed that was unexpected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM.

First, i received a call online

Interview Questions

Hiring process is not done yet ! i will update this later

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in March 2013.

*Please note that due to the size of the company this process may vary.

The interview came in three distinct phases. All were conducted over the phone. I was referred to the company by an employee so they seemed to be confident to not need an in person interview before making the decision.

Phase 1 was speaking with someone from the skills management department. She was a neutral party unaffialited with the department I would be interviewing with. She gave a breif overview of the company and what the position would be. After confirming I was still interested I continued to phase 2.

Next was a discussion with the hiring manager. This was not technical at all; mostly a meet and greet for both parties. I was asked mostly about my background and what I why I wished to work for the company. The manager shared some details about how the department operates and what I would be doing if I were to accept the offer.

Phase 3 was the technical interview. I had expected a number of whiteboard style questions but there was a distinct lack of them. I had already sent in some code samples of a game that I had created previously. The most technical questions related to the reason why I had made certain design choices when designing the code for the game. After that, the questions become more about myself and why I was passionate about technology and to see if I really enjoyed working in this field. Once I believe the interviewer was satisfied with my ability the interview became less about one way questions and more about free flowing conversation to see if I would mesh well with the team. Shortly after this interview the hiring manager called to let me know that they would be extending an offer to me soon.

The experience was a very positive one.

Interview Questions
    • What was most unexpected was the lack of typical whiteboard style programming questions in favor of other topics.   Answer Question
    The neogotian phase was very pleasant. However, the division of HR being in India and my department being in the US caused the process to move quite slowly. After getting put in touch with the proper people to speak with in the US the process was much smoother. After receiving the initial offer I did my homework and came up with a very solid counter offer. The counter was accepted without issue.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in March 2013.

First, I was first brought in for a day long interview with three people. I was asked mainly behavioral questions and a few basic Java questions. Then after I was initially turned down, they contacted me for another interview during a second hiring phase. This was just a phone interview about my interests and to explain the opportunities available. Afterward, I was given a project to complete and present to a technical lead. Finally, they had me take an online intelligence test. I was offered the job shortly after that. It was a long process that began in March and ended in July, but there is an excellent job at the end of the road if you can stick with it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I thought the initial offer was fair.