IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2012.

Interview

Straight forward, very friendly, multiple people in one day but a streamlined process. Lasted about 3 hours to meet with 4 people, very conversational. They just want to get a feel for how you are with the team, whether you're willing to learn and take initiative with the company and duties.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about being on the phone for hour-long meetings?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in August 2011.

Interview

High level questions, for the support role. Regarding the role software developer you need to pass a test in Java or C++, you can choose. In general depends the position and the band level.

Interview Questions

• Did you have have use a configuration file?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Durham, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

A manager contacted me after being forwarded my resume by a university recruiter. We had a phone interview and I was later hired. The questions were very standard technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: Explain a time you worked in a team to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied the job from HireTeamMate, which is posted by the hiring manager directly (HireTeamMate is called the Uber for Hiring). I got contacted a few hours after applied, and got phone interivew the 2nd day.

Interview Questions

• first check my background on design and system, and OOP case design. then write some simple code over the phone. then some general questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at IBM (Taipei (Taiwan)) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process was done by: first interview with the hiring manager who mostly asking about more soft skills to see if you fit with the company/team culture. Then the hiring manager invited the team leader who was focused on understanding your capability to excel the job requirements. Afterwards a second manager from the company walked in to have a casual chat. All the process was done within one day.

Interview Questions

• Past experiences related the job content (in my case was Linux operating system)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Mumbai (India)) in January 2011.

Interview

Easy and simple to understand process with 3 rounds including aptitude, technical and HR round. Team was helpful and supportive without any major issues. This make easier for team to do the process and going through the overall interview excessive was very helpful. This shows the credential and process capability of the interviewer and depth of the knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What was the Linux and OS parameters and how to tune database   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Atlanta, GA) in November 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with my school's IBM recruiter and went on to apply online to the job postings I thought would best fit me. The recruiter sent the hiring managers a personal note along with my resume and application. I received an email a few weeks later asking to schedule a phone interview and asking me to rank my software skills. Phone interview went well and I got invited to an in office interview a few weeks later. Office interview started with a technical interview with a current Software Engineer and ended with a standard interview with the Manager. Received a call a few weeks later from the Manager informing me of the offer I would be receiving later that week and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Name three different data structures.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to the career fair for IBM. A few weeks later, I was contacted by a manager that they were interested in doing a phone interview. I did the phone screen and then was followed up with another technical phone interview a week later. Both went well so later on I then took the IPAT test and submitted more details on my application. I later then received an offer. I asked for an extension to decide after some interviews with other companies. For now, I will say that I "declined" the offer, but it is still on the table and who knows if I will accept it in the coming month.

Interview Questions

• Why does the printf statement take so long to print from the Arduino in one of my projects?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I was called up, and asked about my former work experiences and told about the position they were trying to fill. They followed up with an online/ phone coding interview. I qualified to fly down to an onsite interview. Met the team, answered questions on my past work and commented on their existing work. Went through another code interview and a debugging interview. Had a meet and greet with employees and other applicants. Went to lunch with the team. and then was flown back home.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a series of CSS selectors and asked me to tell them which HTML elements were being referenced.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM in June 2015.

Interview

1 online round : it is online round which have 3 section apt , logical and verbal section which contain total 100 question . i did 95 ques i think 90+ ques of mine was correct :D 1 telephonic round is it basically data structure based . they asked you simple ques but dig in very deep so prepare with all corner case complexity etc..

Interview Questions

• round 1 : online Aptitude round (60 min) - it contain 100 apt , logical and verbal question round 2 : telephonic technical round -various algorithms and data structure question 1)working code for in order , pre order and post order binery search tree 2)reverse linked list iterative 3)avl tree insert and search algo and complexity for all ques 4)many c++ ,java, OS, DBMS and networking concept   1 Answer
    • Q design data structure which hold all word of dictionary ??   Answer Question