IBM Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in January 2010.

This year (2010) IBM India planned to hire about 10,000 new recruits (freshers + experienced personnels), so it was relatively easier (I strongly stress "relatively") to get counted in. We first had a 1-hr aptitude written test, followed by a group discussion of 15 mins. After that we had 1:1 personal technical interview. The final interview was the HR round. What bothers me is that the package they offered is below my expectation for such a strongly reputed company. The drift to more service-based work is another scare.

Interview Questions
  • Puzzle: How do you weight an elephant without using a weigh machine?   View Answers (28)

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Initially there was a written aptitude test. It consisted of 3 sections. No technical ques at all. Just checking your IQ. Questions were not difficult but time was very limited.
         1st section consisted of 20 ques on matrices. there were few matrices(5x5, 6x6 etc.), each of them consisted of some numbers and alphabates and few ques on them such as swapping the rows and columns, locating rows n columns satisfying certain conditions(time - 13 min). I attempted 12-13. NO Negative marking.
         2nd section consisted of 20 questions(time - 4 min). on number series (very simple). I attempted 18. It had negative marking.
         3rd section was mathematical quantitative aptitude. It consisted of 15 ques(time - 15 min).It was toughest among all sections. I attempted 6-8. It had negative marking.
         Then Group discussion and finally technical and HR interview. There may be 2-3 interviews depending upon the interviewer and your performance. They just ask your TE, BE project and some ques on data structures, C, C++ and database.
    Interview is not so difficult but you need good communication skills.
         This way I got selected...Best luck for you.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in January 2009.

It was very nice and comfortable. 10 of us were all seated in a row facing 3 judges. We were all asked to describe ourselves, our strengths and weaknesses, our motivation for the position. The company culture was very nice but I turned down the offer because there were sales quota to be met.

Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in October 2009.

-Why do u want to work for IBM?
    -Are you willing to relocate?
    -Are you willing to trave?
    -resume screen with technologies I know and I am confortable with?
    -SQlLstatements. select & update
    - interviewer gave me a scenario that on writing a jsp page with 20 fields that query the database and ask me how I will procede and how long it will take me to complete the task

Interview Questions
    • Object oriented questions: inheritance, overloading , overriding   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in June 2008.

Recrited as fresher from college, had a round of written test followed by Technical interview followed by Manager interview all in a day.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to explain about the project that i was working on at college   View Answer
    It being a fresher no negotiations encouraged

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in February 2009.

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager for an hour mostly technical skills, then i had an in person interview with 3 team members focused mostly on in different areas java, db etc and then i had an HR interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in December 2009.

3 rounds of interview
    round 1: aptitude test
    round 2: computer science objective test
    round 3: One on one PI

Interview Questions
    • Given a paragraph containing ( , {, [, ], }, ) and other ascii charcters.
      You need to find whether all the brackets are correcly placed aor not.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in February 2010.

Applied through internal University recruitment system, got a 1:1 interview.

Interviewer was very friendly. Asked a couple behavioral questions in addition to several technical questions. It was a good back and forth conversation. It looks like they were trying to gauge my interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others on my team just as much as they were trying to gauge my technical ability - good sign for their software engineering practices.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had trouble working with a team member on a software project and how you resolved the situation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in March 2008.

it's quite formal. firstly, with a basic skill test, then group interview, finally 1:1 interview

Interview Questions
    • why do you choose our company instead of other good local IT company in China?   Answer Question
    the career path in this company, and the annual salary increase rate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2009.

I applied online for a job at IBM. I heard from an IBM hiring manager and had a brief phone interview. Since there was a match, I was invited to come into the office for a formal interview. There were four people at the interview including myself. The interview was reasonable. I thought I did ok, but I did not hear anything for several weeks. I followed up, but they said the position had been filled. No hard feelings, however better communication on their part would have been nice.