IBM

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dubuque, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, at IBM.com. I received an automated email telling me that i was being considered for the position. three weeks later I was called and had a brief phone conversation about general skills and availability. I was thanked and told that they would get back to me. two weeks after that i received another phone call inviting me to dubuque for a personal interview. this went well, however i never heard back from anyone. I called, left voicemail, and email, but never heard back. I finally gave up waiting.

Interview Question – The 5 levels of schema, their uses and the 7 layers of the OSI model and their uses... things you very seldom put into verbage.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Started with a phone screening then one day of about 6 interviews with members of the team.

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of a negotiation.

Dubuque, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Interview Details – Teams. IBM likes communication and ideas. Teams. Because of the large diversity of those employed by IBM those interested in a position should keep an open mind, be optimistic and welcome a strength of thoughts, processes and habits influenced a great deal through a team environment. Teams. Work together, think together, communicate together. Teams. Get the point ?

Interview Question – Lean Methodologies. Give an example of how which you may use Lean Methodologies on a day to day basis.   View Answer

East Fishkill, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in February 2008.

Interview Details – I received an email from one of the area recruiting agencies (CDI Corporation) who had received my resume from a search of careerbuilder.com. After sending them a current resume (Word format), they replied three days later asking if I would attend a face -to-face interview. After doing the interview, I was offered the position five days later.

Interview Question – No real surprises from the hiring director...no uncommon or unexpected questions. Very routine interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter was the first to make an offer of $32/hr. As I was currently only making $21/hr, I did not attempt to negotiate for a higher rate.

Very Easy Interview

Systems Administration Interview

Systems Administration
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at IBM in August 2008.

Interview Details – I received a call from an IBM recruiter to see if I was still interested in the position and able to interview. He said the hiring manager would call for an initial interview. When the manager called, it was very informal with no technical or job skills related questions aside from where I had worked in the past. He had me contact the outgoing system administrator to setup an interview the next interview. The second interview consisted of a facility tour and showing me my office -no interview questions. That person was under the impression that I had already accepted the position.

Interview Question – Did I know certain people or anyone working in state government?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The outgoing administrator expressed a high degree of frustration not being allowed to fix potential problems, just to respond to problems as they happened. On call 7X24 with a usual 55 hour work week.

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – the process was simple and easy consit of 1 face to face technical interview asking simple questions about linux and unix

Interview Question – why you choose IBM   Answer Question

Brno (Czech Republic)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in January 2010.

Interview Details – 3 Interviews over the phone, one with HR, one with TL for technical interview and another with Manager for personality test

Interview Question – What to expect from IBM   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy, over email and phone

Bucharest (Romania)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in August 2008.

Interview Details – Hired at first as contractor by Manpower, received written and language tests in Romania, before coming to Czech Republic.

Interview Question – They asked me to tell them about troubleshooting a Linux/UNIX cluster.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they told me it's the only offer I will get.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in June 2010.

Interview Details – It started with a General Aptitude test. I happened to clear it the first day. We were called for group discussion the following day. Here we were tested on our communication skills and ability to be as clear in a conversation as possible. It was followed by a personal interview where I was asked some very challenging questions. The results were out the third day and i was selected.

Interview Questions

• If you were given a offer to work in a company the following year in which you joined IBM, would you leave the company and join the other?   View Answer
  • How many years would like to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the offer and even the joining date. Please do read the small details before signing the dotted line.

Bangalore (India)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in June 2009.

Interview Details – Was called regarding the compensation packeage and the offer letter being sent via mail

Interview Question – Was asked about communication and nothing technical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM Systems Administrator interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.