IBM Systems Administrator Interview Questions

2.6

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dubuque, IA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in June 2013.

I applied online, at IBM.com. I received an automated email telling me that i was being considered for the position. three weeks later I was called and had a brief phone conversation about general skills and availability. I was thanked and told that they would get back to me. two weeks after that i received another phone call inviting me to dubuque for a personal interview. this went well, however i never heard back from anyone. I called, left voicemail, and email, but never heard back. I finally gave up waiting.

Interview Questions
  • The 5 levels of schema, their uses and the 7 layers of the OSI model and their uses... things you very seldom put into verbage.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Started with a phone screening then one day of about 6 interviews with members of the team.

There wasn't much of a negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dubuque, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Teams. IBM likes communication and ideas. Teams. Because of the large diversity of those employed by IBM those interested in a position should keep an open mind, be optimistic and welcome a strength of thoughts, processes and habits influenced a great deal through a team environment. Teams. Work together, think together, communicate together. Teams. Get the point ?

Interview Questions
    • Lean Methodologies. Give an example of how which you may use Lean Methodologies on a day to day basis.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Fishkill, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in February 2008.

I received an email from one of the area recruiting agencies (CDI Corporation) who had received my resume from a search of careerbuilder.com. After sending them a current resume (Word format), they replied three days later asking if I would attend a face -to-face interview. After doing the interview, I was offered the position five days later.

Interview Questions
    • No real surprises from the hiring director...no uncommon or unexpected questions. Very routine interview   Answer Question
    The recruiter was the first to make an offer of $32/hr. As I was currently only making $21/hr, I did not attempt to negotiate for a higher rate.

Systems Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at IBM in August 2008.

I received a call from an IBM recruiter to see if I was still interested in the position and able to interview. He said the hiring manager would call for an initial interview. When the manager called, it was very informal with no technical or job skills related questions aside from where I had worked in the past. He had me contact the outgoing system administrator to setup an interview the next interview. The second interview consisted of a facility tour and showing me my office -no interview questions. That person was under the impression that I had already accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • Did I know certain people or anyone working in state government?   View Answer

The outgoing administrator expressed a high degree of frustration not being allowed to fix potential problems, just to respond to problems as they happened. On call 7X24 with a usual 55 hour work week.

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Application submitted by email. Process took 1 month. If you know your topic, it's easy to be hire. The main problem is the communications with the HR. You always wait after them. They informed me 1 weeks before I start. ( it was for a position in a different country).

Interview Questions
    • IBM HR have communication problems. They informed me 1 weeks before I start. ( it was for a position in a different country).   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

the process was simple and easy consit of 1 face to face technical interview asking simple questions about linux and unix

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brno (Czech Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brno (Czech Republic)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in January 2010.

3 Interviews over the phone, one with HR, one with TL for technical interview and another with Manager for personality test

Interview Questions
    Easy, over email and phone

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bucharest (Romania)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucharest (Romania)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in August 2008.

Hired at first as contractor by Manpower, received written and language tests in Romania, before coming to Czech Republic.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to tell them about troubleshooting a Linux/UNIX cluster.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, they told me it's the only offer I will get.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in June 2010.

It started with a General Aptitude test. I happened to clear it the first day. We were called for group discussion the following day. Here we were tested on our communication skills and ability to be as clear in a conversation as possible. It was followed by a personal interview where I was asked some very challenging questions. The results were out the third day and i was selected.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given a offer to work in a company the following year in which you joined IBM, would you leave the company and join the other?   View Answer
    • How many years would like to work here?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate the offer and even the joining date. Please do read the small details before signing the dotted line.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!