IBM Systems Administrator Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2015

2.7

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Started with a phone screening then one day of about 6 interviews with members of the team.

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Employee in Dubuque, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Dubuque, IA) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online, at IBM.com. I received an automated email telling me that i was being considered for the position. three weeks later I was called and had a brief phone conversation about general skills and availability. I was thanked and told that they would get back to me. two weeks after that i received another phone call inviting me to dubuque for a personal interview. this went well, however i never heard back from anyone. I called, left voicemail, and email, but never heard back. I finally gave up waiting.

Interview Questions

• The 5 levels of schema, their uses and the 7 layers of the OSI model and their uses... things you very seldom put into verbage.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Dubuque, IA) in March 2009.

Interview

Teams. IBM likes communication and ideas. Teams. Because of the large diversity of those employed by IBM those interested in a position should keep an open mind, be optimistic and welcome a strength of thoughts, processes and habits influenced a great deal through a team environment. Teams. Work together, think together, communicate together. Teams. Get the point ?

Interview Questions

• Lean Methodologies. Give an example of how which you may use Lean Methodologies on a day to day basis.   1 Answer

Systems Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

I received a call from an IBM recruiter to see if I was still interested in the position and able to interview. He said the hiring manager would call for an initial interview. When the manager called, it was very informal with no technical or job skills related questions aside from where I had worked in the past. He had me contact the outgoing system administrator to setup an interview the next interview. The second interview consisted of a facility tour and showing me my office -no interview questions. That person was under the impression that I had already accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• Did I know certain people or anyone working in state government?   1 Answer

The outgoing administrator expressed a high degree of frustration not being allowed to fix potential problems, just to respond to problems as they happened. On call 7X24 with a usual 55 hour work week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM (East Fishkill, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

I received an email from one of the area recruiting agencies (CDI Corporation) who had received my resume from a search of careerbuilder.com. After sending them a current resume (Word format), they replied three days later asking if I would attend a face -to-face interview. After doing the interview, I was offered the position five days later.

Interview Questions

• No real surprises from the hiring director...no uncommon or unexpected questions. Very routine interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter was the first to make an offer of $32/hr. As I was currently only making $21/hr, I did not attempt to negotiate for a higher rate.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM (Hyderābād (India)) in December 2014.

Interview

I was working under artech infosys pvt ltd as a solaris system administrator from Jan-13 to till date.

Hyderabad, Hire people will short listed your resume and provide the interview schedule date ,once got selected from hire,then you will be permanent employ for this hire company

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Application submitted by email. Process took 1 month. If you know your topic, it's easy to be hire. The main problem is the communications with the HR. You always wait after them. They informed me 1 weeks before I start. ( it was for a position in a different country).

Interview Questions

• IBM HR have communication problems. They informed me 1 weeks before I start. ( it was for a position in a different country).   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Interview

the process was simple and easy consit of 1 face to face technical interview asking simple questions about linux and unix

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hortolândia (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM (Hortolândia (Brazil)) in September 2011.

Interview

One single interview with a team leader. Spoke a few words in English and asked about technical background and experience. They asked about how I did on the last job, If I considered myself successful. Asked why I was looking for a new opportunity and why IBM. It was pretty simple interview and I was confident all the time because people interviewing were nice.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IBM (Bangalore (India)) in May 2011.

Interview

First round will be a phone interview .
    Next you may need to visit an IBM office near to your city either for face to face or video conferencing.
    Later HR round which will be directly taken by your reporting manager as there in no specific HR over there in IBM.
    In a week or so you will get a form to complete and send it to them with all ur current employer/personal documents.Later they can send you a offer letter and if you wish to join can accept by replying back to the HR team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

While conversing ,never think about CTC in IBM .Speak clearly what you want to take home every month .As this what they have fooled me in.CTC they will show a huge amount and you gets less than 50% of it