IBM

Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.8

115 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Consultant Graduate Scheme Interview

This is a genuine review with all honesty.

I filled in the online application form and submitted it. A few days later I was sent the online IPAT test which consisted of a numerical sequence test and a numerical problem solving test (research online for practise questions and practise practise practise). I passed both tests and was given an assessment centre date.

On the day of the Assessment centre I arrived at 8:15am and booked into the reception. At 8:30am we were taken into a room where all 26 students were able to relax and talk to each other (this was the resting room in between the exercises). We were split into groups of 6 and we participated in two group exercises.One was a group discussion based exercise where they assessed the leadership skills and your contribution to the discussion. After our first group exercise we were bought back into the resting room where we were told that "We need to take a picture of you individually so the recruiter (Service line recruiters) can put faces to your applications". I found this very odd as it seemed like your looks can play a part in your application, and maybe even your ethnicity (I disagree with this approach).

The other task was a logical group exercise where they tested all their competencies to see if you were able to demonstrate them. At 1pm, 8 people were chosen to stay on for the interviews and the rest 18 were sent home. In my group only one person was chosen.
    I found this process very odd and untrustworthy for many reason which i cannot disclose due to several reasons.

Strategic Analytics Consultant Interview

Applied with CV and a series of ~250 word questions. Before anyone looks at your CV, you are required to complete standard SHL numerical and a verbal reasoning tests online (not the numerical sequence test and logic tests required for some other IBM positions). Upon passing these, the CV and questions are screened, and the next stage is an assessment centre. I was invited to an assessment centre, and immediately told my mum, who was over the moon for me. I was then informed that this was invitation was in fact an accident, and the offer was unprofessional retracted. Ouch.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard questions, screaming to be heavily tailored for IBM.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Begin with an online submission of typical information e.g. CV and required to answer some competency-based questions as well.
    Then, I was invited to finish an online logical test which consists of spotting the sequence etc which I think is harder comparing with other normal logical test. After that, I was required to do 2 more online tests (verbal and numerical tests) which have no surprise and very easy.
    After a week or so, I got invited to the AC and it was straight forward and it was a nice experience.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

IPAT test is difficult, but achievable. The assessment centre is actually great fun! Got to know loads of people and meet many of the people I actually work with today. The exercises were mixed and varied, with several group exercises and several individual exercises and interviews. The interviews were mainly informal chats about your application form and yourself, so nothing to worry about! The group exercises were challenging, and we barely ever got the answer in the time limit, but this didn't matter, how you work as a group does. Overall a very good hiring process, and one that I enjoyed!

Interview Questions
    • What do you see as the next big thing in computing? (somehow...I didn't think about this beforehand!)   Answer Question
    None needed, I accepted at the site which they gave me (which was my first choice)

Graduate Software Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in December 2014.

Initially fill out an application form, detailing standard application information, then sent aptitude tests. These consist of a numerical reasoning test and pattern recognition test. Numerical reasoning is NOT technical, more situation based, pattern recognition is NOT technical but is very difficult - practice pattern recognition before taking as IBM only give you around 3 days to complete the tests

Interview Questions
    • Pattern recognition tests require practice - maybe buy a book or something   Answer Question

Srategic Analytics Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Online application form and CV. Then the IPAT tests which were harder number series questions and then some easier calculation questions. Then had SHL style numerical and verbal tests.
    After this was invited to the first round Assessment Centre. In the morning there was a presentation from one of the employees and a group exercise which was pretty hard. They also asked for us to redo the IPAT test.
    Half of the applicants were sent home in a very harsh manner at lunchtime.
    After lunch was a one-on-one interview with one of their employers. This was mainly CV based, asking about recent projects and also some estimation questions.

Business Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

After filling the application form, was invited to sit a psychometric tests. They were a bit harder than I expected and actually thought I wouldn't pass yet two days after received an email saying I had passed an my CV was being screened. After a few days was invited for an assessment centre a month later.
    For the assessment centre had to prepare a 15min presentation about how I work in a team, a time I took initiative and created something innovative; to do research on an IBM product; client or project that I was interested; what I would bring into IBM and how could I benefit from them.
    After the interviewer asked me questions for 15mins nothing special. What did I know about IBM, what did I expect to be doing, a time I delivered over pressure... It was quite relaxed.
    Also did 2 group exercises which were quite easy. It's all about how we interact with the colleagues rather than a absolute right answer.
    Next day got told I passed the assessment centre yet it has been a month and still haven't been invited for a a final interview.

Extreme Blue Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huxley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huxley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Took a month to get an interview offer. IPAT/CAT was a standard math test you would see everywhere for big schemes, but it was quite detail-oriented because it had loads of decimals and fractions. First round selection had a IPAT confirmation, group activity and business case drafting. Group activity was a mock session for HR process: us hiring a person according the situation given. Business case drafting was a generic question with few situations as well.

Interview Questions
    • Group activity was quite tricky mainly because it took time to realise we had different cases in our hands. It seemed like it was more of process-driven assessment. The content itself was quite irrelevant to the Extreme Blue position.   Answer Question

Strategic Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Applied online - with CV and additional questions to answer. Invited for two rounds of online tests - one logic sequence based (which was challenging), another basic numeracy and verbal. Invited to Assessment Center consisting of presentation on company, then a logic group exercise (which was assessed by two people - looking at teamwork and problem solving skills), and then another test. Interview in the afternoon after lunch.

Interview Questions
    • difficult online 'IPAT' tests - finding the next number in a sequence   Answer Question

Graduate Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Applied online for their graduate scheme (business consultant). I had to fill a word application form with small questions about previous experiences and why I was applying for their graduate scheme.
    After a first quick review you are invited to take their online IPAT test which is kind of hard but manageable if you try some sample questions before (you can found some example easily on the web).
    After that I was invited to attend an assessment center at their London South bank Office. The invitation process was awful, they invited me very late, so I had to book my tickets and accommodation one day before. As a result I ended up spending a lot of money (they only reimburse £150) for a short assessment center (2 groupe exercise) where they selected only the bossiest candidates.