IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.8

Student Industrial Placement - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Initially you have to fill out your CV in the IBM format which includes the usual CV information plus additional questions at the end. You upload this on their employment section and fill in basic information on there also. Secondly you get invited to complete the IPAT test which includes Numerical questions and Sequence questions where you are timed per question and get about 2 minutes per question. The test is not easy, it is very hard! Everyone I have spoken to who passed, like myself, after completing the test we all thought we failed for sure... After you get through the IPAT test you will be put through the CV assessment where they see if you are a right fit for them and then they will decide whether or not to take you through to an assessment centre. This process took about a month. Once getting through the CV assessment you will get an e-mail informing you that you passed, and in my case, an e-mail saying you will find out more information on the assessment centre location, time and day later on. So, about 2/3 weeks later I got the e-mail with all that information. Mine was at SouthBank and was an afternoon session. The assessment centre itself includes 2 group tasks, a logic and a discussion, which are both timed and watched over by a couple of assessors. I also had to do a presentation before attending with set questions to answer in it and then you present this on the day on a 1 to 1 basis and this turns into a kind of interview too as they will stop you in places and ask you questions. This lasted about 20-25 minutes and was quite relaxed. Business interviews are also offered at the assessment centres which are interviews with specific managers in areas which you applied for however, when I was there there weren't any business interviews as they couldn't get any managers in for them... but there is the potential that you will get one there and then. I then got an e-mail the following day saying I passed the assessment centre and was then put in the matching process where different managers can then decide if they want to offer you a business interview for their particular area. For myself, I think I was quite lucky as I have heard that people have waited weeks before becoming matched and offered an interview... So, 2 days later I was actually sent an e-mail with an offering of a marketing role in Hursley and that they wanted to organise an interview. This was on a Thursday and the interview then took place on Tuesday. This interview lasts about 30-45 minutes... After the interview, I received an e-mail that same day saying it had gone well and they were then going through the pre-employment checks. 2 days later I received a formal offer e-mail and letter.

SAP ABAP Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Extensive application form including various competency questions, questions involving IBM's business model, and your knowledge of the technology sector. Assessment centre was two 3-hour sessions, with over 60% of applicants turned away after the first period, which involved two group exercises.

Extreme Blue Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

7 weeks: Initial screen of application/CV - Online IPAT Test - further screen of CV - AC at IBM Hursley (8am - 5pm): they pay everything. Online tests were not too difficult, one numerical reasoning and one number series. Waited for 4 weeks before they told me that I was invited to an AC. AC was daunting to me at the start. Because they described in the email that it would be a 8am to 5pm day and unsuccessful candidates of the morning would be sent home before lunch. Actually it is true that the AC lasted for 9 hours but no one was sent home in the morning. 1 software ability test(1 hour), 2 group exercise (6 people-3 assessors) and one situation judgement exercise (4 people-2 assessors) in the morning. Quick lunch and chat with an IBM intern.(very nice chat and he is awesome) visit the IBM Hursley village with a former EB intern, gorgeous place and nice chat again!!! 1 one-to-one presentation and two one-to-one interviews(technical/competency) in the afternoon Difficulties of the interviews did vary between which assessor you got and their choice of which set of questions to ask you. I found out that they asked me the most difficult set of competency questions and some situation judgements after I came out of the room and chat with other candidates. Also the most difficult I have ever met. I enjoy the day very much, a lot of chats with other candidates, very interesting exercises.

Interview Questions

• group exercise: choose a product to market, logical exercise of painting positions. SJ test: no way to prepare, you need to think quickly and appear professional. interviews: no way to prepare, you got to have a lot of engineering team experience and able to demonstrate how you cooperate with aggressive teammates, how you teach silly teammates and how you cope with a weird client.   Answer Question

Interview

Applied with CV and a series of ~250 word questions. Before anyone looks at your CV, you are required to complete standard SHL numerical and a verbal reasoning tests online (not the numerical sequence test and logic tests required for some other IBM positions). Upon passing these, the CV and questions are screened, and the next stage is an assessment centre. I was invited to an assessment centre, and immediately told my mum, who was over the moon for me. I was then informed that this was invitation was in fact an accident, and the offer was unprofessional retracted. Ouch.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions, screaming to be heavily tailored for IBM.   Answer Question

Interview

This is a genuine review with all honesty. I filled in the online application form and submitted it. A few days later I was sent the online IPAT test which consisted of a numerical sequence test and a numerical problem solving test (research online for practise questions and practise practise practise). I passed both tests and was given an assessment centre date. On the day of the Assessment centre I arrived at 8:15am and booked into the reception. At 8:30am we were taken into a room where all 26 students were able to relax and talk to each other (this was the resting room in between the exercises). We were split into groups of 6 and we participated in two group exercises.One was a group discussion based exercise where they assessed the leadership skills and your contribution to the discussion. After our first group exercise we were bought back into the resting room where we were told that "We need to take a picture of you individually so the recruiter (Service line recruiters) can put faces to your applications". I found this very odd as it seemed like your looks can play a part in your application, and maybe even your ethnicity (I disagree with this approach). The other task was a logical group exercise where they tested all their competencies to see if you were able to demonstrate them. At 1pm, 8 people were chosen to stay on for the interviews and the rest 18 were sent home. In my group only one person was chosen. I found this process very odd and untrustworthy for many reason which i cannot disclose due to several reasons.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Begin with an online submission of typical information e.g. CV and required to answer some competency-based questions as well. Then, I was invited to finish an online logical test which consists of spotting the sequence etc which I think is harder comparing with other normal logical test. After that, I was required to do 2 more online tests (verbal and numerical tests) which have no surprise and very easy. After a week or so, I got invited to the AC and it was straight forward and it was a nice experience.

Extreme Blue Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and took an aptitude test soon after (also online), followed by an assessment centre on site (IBM Hursley) a few months later. Assessment Centre involved group exercises, two interviews - 'technical' and 'non-technical', a non-technical presentation and another aptitude test. Technical interview was very relaxed and was mainly about my application form, what I've done in terms of technology and why I am applying for the role. I had no technical questions about coding or solving a problem etc. Non-technical interview focussed more on how I behave in teams and how I deal with people (and examples of these using my application form). Was offered a place about a week later. Accepted soon after.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you've had to change your approach to a project. Why did you respond in the way you did and what would you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Graduate Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Completed the application form online, then an online psychometric and numerical test. Following this I was invited to an assessment centre in London. The day was reasonably well organised, the first half of the day consisted of group exercises and the second half of individual interviews an a numerical test. After the first half of the day, the majority of the people were sent home, which was a feature I found odd and disliked.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

2 group exercises stay on after lunch for personal interviews if successful and had more personal questions. This was of average difficulty and gave good experience for future interviews some were very difficult

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)).

Interview

IPAT test is difficult, but achievable. The assessment centre is actually great fun! Got to know loads of people and meet many of the people I actually work with today. The exercises were mixed and varied, with several group exercises and several individual exercises and interviews. The interviews were mainly informal chats about your application form and yourself, so nothing to worry about! The group exercises were challenging, and we barely ever got the answer in the time limit, but this didn't matter, how you work as a group does. Overall a very good hiring process, and one that I enjoyed!

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the next big thing in computing? (somehow...I didn't think about this beforehand!)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None needed, I accepted at the site which they gave me (which was my first choice)