IBM

2.8

111 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2014.

On the day of the assessment we were split into groups and had us do two group exercises, one logical and one business based. It turns out not giving your other team mates the chance to speak and constantly taking up every point in one breath is something they are looking for, I kid you not, if you get invited to one of these do not sit thinking oh i will let so and so finish making their point.

get in there and make your contribution.

Graduate Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in April 2014.

After filling out a long application form and submitting my CV and following a number of emails, I was invited to an assessment center at headquarters. About 20 people showed up on the day at 8am. Between 8 am and 1 pm we were required to partake in three activities in teams. Each activity lasted half an hour. One was a numerical reasoning exam and the other two assessed how you interact in teams. If you passed the three morning sessions you had to do an interview in the evening.

Interview Questions
    • One of the group activities required solving a problem regarding the location of artwork in a museum given only snippets of information.   Answer Question

Graduate Business Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

I had to take an online test, a full day assessment centre and an interview at the south bank head office

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. In the assessment centre do not sit back and let It happen, get good ideas across and also try to help the team work better together.   Answer Question

IBM Extreme Blue Interview

3 group exercises and 3 individual exercises and 1 presentation

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Online test followed up by Assessment. I was very impressed overall, kind of enjoyed the whole processed. Currently I am on a matching process and have no idea what to expect.

Interview Questions
    • they were all usual HR questions and about IBM products and services.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The usual, phone, face and test with the possibility of case study or group assessment centre

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Think I've become a seasoned interview vet   Answer Question
    Insignificant

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Submit application and CV online. Then they determine whether you will be given an online IPAT test. Sit the IPAT and if you pass you are invited for an AC. The AC day is one day for successful candidates, and half a day for unsuccessful candidates. The morning involves a confirmatory IPAT, which is quite tough, and two group exercises. One exercise is logic based and the other is event planning. Second half of the day involves a paired exercise where you pitch a solution to a given problem to two interviewers. Then there is an interview with a Professional Development Manager - it's just a chat about your interests.

Interview Questions
    • How did I have to behave or work differently as a woman in the sciences.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Completed online application, completed online tests, awaited 3 weeks for a reply, followed up on this with another email. Received an email the week after saying that the role is no longer available and if I would like to pursue another role in another country. Swiftly declined. The online test is not that bad. The application is dealt with the India helpdesk, no idea why. Outsourcing at its finest. The job I was going for is less than an hours drive from my house and they are sending my application half way around the world. Baffled.

Interview Questions
    • Did not get this far as the job was gone before the India helpdesk could review my application. Most unprofessional recruitment process I have ever taken part in. Offered another job interview in a completely different country.   Answer Question

Unprofessional

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2014.

IBM's selection process for graduates in the UK is well-known and widely discussed on the Internet, but I'll recap it here:
    - Online application (several questions, 150 words for each question)
    - Online IPAT test (number series, quantitative reasoning)
    - Assessment centre, which includes a confirmatory IPAT test, a PowerPoint presentation, a 1:1 interview, an individual exercise, and several group exercises

In order to tackle the online application, you have to make sure your written English is good, you use appropriate terms, and you don't make grammar/syntax mistakes. Try to write interesting and real/real-looking stories, but don't exaggerate.

After you are given the online IPAT test, you'll have to complete in in few days. Make sure to prepare BEFORE receiving the e-mail with the link. There are several resources online to practice it: make sure you do a lot of practice. Number series are almost impossible, so don't bother too much. You'll do horribly. Just make sure you can answer the simple ones. In the quantitative reasoning module, you'll have to answer elementary school problems (very simple), but you'll have to do it in 2.15 minutes per question. The topics are ratios, travel, work rate, etc...

The Assessment Centre has been particularly painful for me. Actually, I believe they have a pretty lame method to select the people working for them. Honestly, I would have said this even if I received an offer.

The confirmatory IPAT test wasn't like the online one. All the problems were dead simple and required almost no calculations or reasoning skills, but... you had to be fast and be able to keep in mind a large number of small pieces of information. If you use paper to write down everything you need to remember, you'll loose precious time. Make sure you have good short-term memory and you can remember 10-15 elementary information tokens and the relationships between them for 2 minutes.

The presentation was just a way to "break the ice" and know a little more about you, while assessing your basic presentation skills. Topics of the presentation were "what is IT to me" and "why I think I am a good candidate". I think I made a very good presentation.

The individual exercise was kind of silly. You had to sell a mobile app to a company which produces sweaters for dog. Really.

The group exercises are the lame part. If you aren't a native English speaker or you haven't been speaking English everyday for two years, don't apply - or at least, prepare to fail. You'll have to interact at turbo-speed with ambitious people who is telling very, very uninteresting things but basically whispering and muttering each word. You'll interact with people who may know nothing about IT at all -- but know how to look awesome to an IBM recruiter by *acting* (which does not imply being) a nice team player.
    In one of the exercises I didn't speak a word, as I found it just pointless and I was overwhelmed by my teammates which were not solving the problem at all (just talking rubbish) but they were so COOL in doing it! ;)

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, and no technical skills needed.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2014.

I applied online via the IBM system. First stage was a online test (IPAT) which was pretty tough compare to others. Once passed, I was invited to an assessment centre at IBM Hursley. The assessment day was surprising enjoyable. It started with a confirmatory test which tested whether you had the correct reasoning and logic skills to be a Software Developer. Next was a short presentation on "What technology means to me". The presentation was to one person and with presenter and presentee seated so was very relaxed. A one-to-one interview was next - again very relaxed and pleasant. A role-play exercise (individual) finished the morning (something about recommending a sales system and ongoing support for a pet accessory company). The afternoon consisted of group exercises and were much tougher, as much because of the nature of group exercises as anything. I also suspect that some of the problems were unsolvable and designed to see how you work in a team under pressure. The exercises were a negotiation task, a team-working task and a group interview where our responses were individual but had to expand on others' answers. I really enjoyed the day and it was made clear early on that the dozen or so candidates were not competing against each other. As such, the candidates on my day were a great group and everyone seemed to get on great. Unfortunately, I passed the assessment centre but IBM had no software development roles in a location that suited me. I was very impressed with IBM and their operations though.

Interview Questions
    • What issues would arise, if IBM bought a smaller software company, in integrating the assets and employees?   Answer Question