IBM Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.8

Interview

Applied with CV and a series of ~250 word questions. Before anyone looks at your CV, you are required to complete standard SHL numerical and a verbal reasoning tests online (not the numerical sequence test and logic tests required for some other IBM positions). Upon passing these, the CV and questions are screened, and the next stage is an assessment centre. I was invited to an assessment centre, and immediately told my mum, who was over the moon for me. I was then informed that this was invitation was in fact an accident, and the offer was unprofessional retracted. Ouch.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions, screaming to be heavily tailored for IBM.   Answer Question

Interview

This is a genuine review with all honesty.

I filled in the online application form and submitted it. A few days later I was sent the online IPAT test which consisted of a numerical sequence test and a numerical problem solving test (research online for practise questions and practise practise practise). I passed both tests and was given an assessment centre date.

On the day of the Assessment centre I arrived at 8:15am and booked into the reception. At 8:30am we were taken into a room where all 26 students were able to relax and talk to each other (this was the resting room in between the exercises). We were split into groups of 6 and we participated in two group exercises.One was a group discussion based exercise where they assessed the leadership skills and your contribution to the discussion. After our first group exercise we were bought back into the resting room where we were told that "We need to take a picture of you individually so the recruiter (Service line recruiters) can put faces to your applications". I found this very odd as it seemed like your looks can play a part in your application, and maybe even your ethnicity (I disagree with this approach).

The other task was a logical group exercise where they tested all their competencies to see if you were able to demonstrate them. At 1pm, 8 people were chosen to stay on for the interviews and the rest 18 were sent home. In my group only one person was chosen.
    I found this process very odd and untrustworthy for many reason which i cannot disclose due to several reasons.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Begin with an online submission of typical information e.g. CV and required to answer some competency-based questions as well.
    Then, I was invited to finish an online logical test which consists of spotting the sequence etc which I think is harder comparing with other normal logical test. After that, I was required to do 2 more online tests (verbal and numerical tests) which have no surprise and very easy.
    After a week or so, I got invited to the AC and it was straight forward and it was a nice experience.

Extreme Blue Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and took an aptitude test soon after (also online), followed by an assessment centre on site (IBM Hursley) a few months later.

Assessment Centre involved group exercises, two interviews - 'technical' and 'non-technical', a non-technical presentation and another aptitude test.
    Technical interview was very relaxed and was mainly about my application form, what I've done in terms of technology and why I am applying for the role. I had no technical questions about coding or solving a problem etc. Non-technical interview focussed more on how I behave in teams and how I deal with people (and examples of these using my application form).

Was offered a place about a week later. Accepted soon after.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you've had to change your approach to a project. Why did you respond in the way you did and what would you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Graduate Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Completed the application form online, then an online psychometric and numerical test. Following this I was invited to an assessment centre in London. The day was reasonably well organised, the first half of the day consisted of group exercises and the second half of individual interviews an a numerical test. After the first half of the day, the majority of the people were sent home, which was a feature I found odd and disliked.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

2 group exercises
    stay on after lunch for personal interviews if successful and had more personal questions. This was of average difficulty and gave good experience for future interviews some were very difficult

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hursley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM (Hursley, England (UK)).

Interview

IPAT test is difficult, but achievable. The assessment centre is actually great fun! Got to know loads of people and meet many of the people I actually work with today. The exercises were mixed and varied, with several group exercises and several individual exercises and interviews. The interviews were mainly informal chats about your application form and yourself, so nothing to worry about! The group exercises were challenging, and we barely ever got the answer in the time limit, but this didn't matter, how you work as a group does. Overall a very good hiring process, and one that I enjoyed!

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the next big thing in computing? (somehow...I didn't think about this beforehand!)   Answer Question

Negotiation

None needed, I accepted at the site which they gave me (which was my first choice)

Graduate Software Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in December 2014.

Interview

Initially fill out an application form, detailing standard application information, then sent aptitude tests. These consist of a numerical reasoning test and pattern recognition test. Numerical reasoning is NOT technical, more situation based, pattern recognition is NOT technical but is very difficult - practice pattern recognition before taking as IBM only give you around 3 days to complete the tests

Interview Questions

• Pattern recognition tests require practice - maybe buy a book or something   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

First I sent my CV and Cover letter. They asked me to fill in a document full of general questions. After a couple of days they sent me a link to access a website and complete a test. I had about a week to do it. This test had a numeric sequences part and a general math part. I practiced with a couple of examples I found online and found the general math part ok but the some of the sequences were pretty hard (also, with a 2 minute countdown for each one, the pressure is on!). Again, after a couple of days I was invited to assessment center in their HQ in London. There we were a group of 30 people and we were split in groups to attend a logical problem session and a product presentation session. I knew what was expected of me but it was quite a competitive environment among peers. The problems were not that hard but with the juris sitting at the table with you, to stand out you'd have to show off a bit and try to coordinate the team or say out loud what you're trying to do. It's not a very natural process. During product presentation I felt the same, everyone is going for the spotlight and you have just 20 minutes. If you're not that type of person probably you won't make it.

Interview Questions

• Two sessions. The first was a logical problem to solve as a team. The second a presentation of a product, also as a team. The logical problem was pretty much like the famous Einstein logical puzzle, with some interesting features for group dynamics. The product presentation was quite simple but with so many people on the team and not so much information you either get to talk about what the data gives you or you better be ready to make something up and stand your ground.   Answer Question

Business Consulting (Graduate Scheme) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

We arrived at the Southbank office and were separated into two separate groups. While the alternative group commenced with activities, we had a presentation about IBM. Following this, we were separated into groups consisting of around 5 candidates to complete a sales and logic exercise. Successful candidates would then progress to interviews in the afternoon.

The sales exercise involved perusing a booklet of new 'inventions', deciding upon one of these products to market as a team, and then devising a business pitch to present at the end of the 15 minutes time allowance. There were two assessors observing the entire exercise; they were generally positive and helped to tackle the awkward tension that is always present at an assessment day.

The logic exercise was challenging. It comprised of a riddle that we had to solve in order to place a series of paintings in their intended order. No one in my group could solve the riddle, despite a lot of back and forth. The assessors in this instance were rude, tutting and generally being very off putting during the exercise. Even though we failed to solve the riddle, one candidate from our team did progress to the interview stage, so successfully solving the riddle was clearly not vital in getting to the next stage.

It was at this stage that I became infuriated by how IBM treated graduates during the recruitment process. Following the exercises we all returned to the initial meeting room. Sandwiches were brought in, but we were instructed not to touch them as they were for 'successful candidates only'. This might seem trivial, but I really interpret this as lacking decorum and failing to recognise the effort a number of students had made travelling from across the UK and abroad. In an embarrassingly 'X Factor' style announcement, the successful candidates were told to leave the room, and the remaining attendees were told they would not be progressing to the next stage. It was all quite bizarre.

I requested feedback following my rejection and received literally TWO sentences, that they had obviously sent to every other candidate, stating: 'Strong point: Sales, Weak point: Logic'. I feel if they cannot provide constructive feedback they should not offer this as a significant part of the assessment centre experience.

To be honest, the whole morning was farcical, and did illustrate why IBM is having problems keeping up with its tech rivals. It was completely lacking respect to the many graduates who were present. I felt like cattle being herded around for much of the day.