IBM

2.8

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Flew all candidates out to their office in Herndon, VA. Three back to back interviews, one case and two behavioral. The case was about market entrance. No hard behavioral questions. Thought I did pretty well and the interviewers seemed to like me but got an email two weeks later stating I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • The Case - Wasn't hard but sometimes it can be difficult to know what they are exactly looking for.   View Answers (5)

Applications Innovation Services Consultant - Consulting By Degrees (CbD) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Initially was contacted after submitting online application. Time sensitive emails are sent out and you must respond within 48 hours. No phone screen, simply selected and provided a travel package to interview at their VA location.

The interview consisted of three 30 minute one-on-one interviews. One technical, one behavioral and one case.
    Technical: What is polymorphism, what is inheritance, draw out the software development lifecycle, what types of development do you like the most, what is a project at IBM that you would like to work on?
    Behavioral: Asked questions about handling problem situations (Have you had to deal with a bad group member, how do you deal with an angry customer?)
    Case: You are given a network diagram of a website and asked several questions about how to handle different scenarios such as, the client is experience large amounts of lag time on the pages, after fixing that problem the client wants to add addition features to the page.

Overall an easy process. The case questions is something I had not encountered before so I over prepared with Victor Chengs LOMS. If you have not done case interviews before I would recommend looking at his material. It provides a good case framework.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really that unexpected. All fairly basic, they are mainly looking to get to know you. Look at my description for the types of questions they asked.   Answer Question

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in February 2014.

I had a three-part interview in the Herndon, VA office. The three interviews consist of a business case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The business case interview was a little weird for me since I had never done one before, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The question I got was pretty basic. The technical interview was mostly about the skills I learned in school (HTML, CSS, MySQL, and Java). I had to use a white board and write out a line of CSS code, which wasn't too bad (although I did mess up). The behavioral interview was pretty basic, no questions out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really was difficult or unexpected. They know that this position is entry level so they don't expect you to know everything or be an expert.   Answer Question

Entry Level Consultant GBS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2014.

Notice of my interview caught me by surprise; I am from a non-target school, and put my resume in at an engineering conference. A recruiter contacted me about 1-2 months after the event, and I was informed that I had been referred through their internal system to GBS. the interview consisted of only one round of 3, 30 minute interviews. Two were behavioral and one was a case.

Interview Questions
    • The two behavioral interviewers really liked the "tell me about yourself/walk me through your resume" question - they asked both times, my guess is to check for consistency in your answers. They also really focused on your leadership qualities and your drive for self improvement and being able to work effectively in a team. Also very results driven questions ("how much did you save the company?" type questions if it's on your resume)   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2013.

I applied online one month before, and applied again when I rec'd an email from my business school newsletter saying they are recruiting business majors.

Two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I had a 1st (and final) round of interviews at their DC office. 1 case and 2 behavioral interviews. Over the course of the week, a recruiter called me to say that I got invited to an interview. From that call, I was able to switch from a different service line to another that matched my skills and career goals (so technically this could be considered an employee referral).

Interviewers were very friendly and the Interview Day introduced you to what you would be exposed to if you were to work at IBM. We saw demos such as Watson, smart parking app after the interviews were over.

The emails were confusing (HR side) it was not that greatly coordinated but eventually I worked around it and looked past that before accepting the offer. Depending on the service line you are applying for, you would have to take a skills/intelligence test.

Prepare for the interviews ahead of time and know why you want to work for IBM specifically for the service line you signed up for. Do your research ahead of time and if you get an offer, try to talk to as many employees as possible to get an insider's perspective. They don't recruit at universities as often as other companies since they already have an established name recognition worldwide.

Interview Questions
    • At a meeting with a bunch of executives, you listen to what they are saying about a particular area that clearly that don't have much knowledge about. You, having worked on a similar project, are an expertise compared to these executives. How would you exert yourself in this situation, knowing that you just started working at IBM in less than a year?   Answer Question
    Non negotiable, recruiter said my base salary was a premium compared to peers who rec'd a similar offer due to the skills I brought to the table

Enterprise Applications SAP GBS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2013.

3 interviews. One was a case study which asked me how would I take on the task and I had to provide a general idea about the case study and in a way reach a conclusion or idea that I believe would be a good way to handle the issue.

I got a call maybe 3 days later and I accepted

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2013.

3, 30 minute interviews, including one case interview.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Standard consulting hiring process: two behavioral and one case interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in August 2013.

Process description (started August 1, 2013, 30 days total from initial contact to salary offer):

1. Sent Resume, copy College Diploma and Certifications transcript from job position posted on Internet site.
    2. Contacted two days later by a recruiting agent.
    3. Scheduled first phone interview with technical manager.
    4. First phone interview seven days after initial contact. Questions related to past working experience and MS products/languages (C#). 15-20 minutes.
    5. Two days later, recruiting agent confirmed approval of tech. manager. Scheduled second phone interview with regional director. Requested detailed current employee benefits information. Regular communication by email. Official employee application form (online).
    6. Second phone interview regional director seven days after first phone interview. Current experiences and why choosing IBM. 12 minutes interview.
    7. Four days later, confirmation of approval of regional director by recruiting agent by email. Sent a second employee application form.
    8. Two days after that, first official talk about salary requirements.
    9. Confirmed preliminary salary offer.

Interview Questions

Requested salary increase. Offer lower than the national median for the position+experience, way lower for the DMV area.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM in February 2013.

phone interview, followed up by a technical in person interview