IBM Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online one month before, and applied again when I rec'd an email from my business school newsletter saying they are recruiting business majors.

Two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I had a 1st (and final) round of interviews at their DC office. 1 case and 2 behavioral interviews. Over the course of the week, a recruiter called me to say that I got invited to an interview. From that call, I was able to switch from a different service line to another that matched my skills and career goals (so technically this could be considered an employee referral).

Interviewers were very friendly and the Interview Day introduced you to what you would be exposed to if you were to work at IBM. We saw demos such as Watson, smart parking app after the interviews were over.

The emails were confusing (HR side) it was not that greatly coordinated but eventually I worked around it and looked past that before accepting the offer. Depending on the service line you are applying for, you would have to take a skills/intelligence test.

Prepare for the interviews ahead of time and know why you want to work for IBM specifically for the service line you signed up for. Do your research ahead of time and if you get an offer, try to talk to as many employees as possible to get an insider's perspective. They don't recruit at universities as often as other companies since they already have an established name recognition worldwide.

Interview Questions

• At a meeting with a bunch of executives, you listen to what they are saying about a particular area that clearly that don't have much knowledge about. You, having worked on a similar project, are an expertise compared to these executives. How would you exert yourself in this situation, knowing that you just started working at IBM in less than a year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non negotiable, recruiter said my base salary was a premium compared to peers who rec'd a similar offer due to the skills I brought to the table

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

3, 30 minute interviews, including one case interview.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in September 2013.

Interview

Standard consulting hiring process: two behavioral and one case interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

Process description (started August 1, 2013, 30 days total from initial contact to salary offer):

1. Sent Resume, copy College Diploma and Certifications transcript from job position posted on Internet site.
    2. Contacted two days later by a recruiting agent.
    3. Scheduled first phone interview with technical manager.
    4. First phone interview seven days after initial contact. Questions related to past working experience and MS products/languages (C#). 15-20 minutes.
    5. Two days later, recruiting agent confirmed approval of tech. manager. Scheduled second phone interview with regional director. Requested detailed current employee benefits information. Regular communication by email. Official employee application form (online).
    6. Second phone interview regional director seven days after first phone interview. Current experiences and why choosing IBM. 12 minutes interview.
    7. Four days later, confirmation of approval of regional director by recruiting agent by email. Sent a second employee application form.
    8. Two days after that, first official talk about salary requirements.
    9. Confirmed preliminary salary offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose IBM as your future employer?   2 Answers

Requested salary increase. Offer lower than the national median for the position+experience, way lower for the DMV area.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

phone interview, followed up by a technical in person interview

Public Sector Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in November 2012.

Interview

They didnt recruit at my school, but I was still selected for a first round. Phone interview was with a partner, very informal, mostly trying to get to know me. Was selected for a 'super day' type final round with around 30 candidates. Got a short case and 20 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Case was strange, very open-ended. It was hard to structure my thoughts. How should federal agencies increase their revenue?   Answer Question

Entry-level Public Sector Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in November 2012.

Interview

Of course, just like with most recruiters, communication becomes non-existent and phantom-like at different points in the interview process. I was contacted by a Consultant at IBM who indicated that she had to do my prescreen interview on the spot. IBM didn't come to my campus, but I had done some networking, which is what I believed led to my resume being selected for consideration. I called and left a message a few weeks later to ask if I had made it to the next phase in the interview process. A few days later, I received an email inviting me to come to D.C. for Q&A dinner reception with final round interviews to follow the next day. The dinner was a chance to meet one of my interviewers since I had not attended any IBM recruiting events before. To make a long story short, the two 30-minute interviews were of me going over my resume describing successes, failures, strengths, weaknesses and recoveries. After sending thank you notes to everyone and additionally, an email request for a follow-up to the recruiter, I finally picked up the phone and called the recruiter for a follow-up. Communication had been amazing during the "set-up" process for the interview, but of course it stopped there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Three interviews occurred during the same day. One right after the other. Each being 45 mins long. Behavioral mostly and asked if I understood what an implementation project looks like. You hear back after about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was a case study that highlighted the circumstances of a project and how I would deal with the client expectations if they were unrealistic.   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Had a couple interviews: Technical Interview and Business interview. Simple to get to the next steps

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I was emailed by a manager and set a phone interview for the following week. At the scheduled time I was contacted by a team and was asked rather difficult technical questions. At the end of the phone interview I was told to go to their office the next day which was not really an interview; just a short meeting.