IBM

33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Programmer Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed by a manager and set a phone interview for the following week. At the scheduled time I was contacted by a team and was asked rather difficult technical questions. At the end of the phone interview I was told to go to their office the next day which was not really an interview; just a short meeting.

Interview Question – technical question on programming   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting as well as on the website. I was contacted through email to attend a weekend long event in Virginia (close to Washington DC). Friday night was an informal dinner and Saturday was the interviews. There were 3 back to back interviews and questions depended on whatever the interviewer felt was appropriate. Since I have a CS background, 1 interviewer asked me technical questions related to UML/SQL. The other 2 interviewers asked me general behavioral questions. I also had to take a test online at some point with basic math and logic type questions (timing is what gets you on these!). At the interview they assured that applicants that the test was not very important in determining who will get hired.

Interview Question – How do you join 2 tables?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was detailed and extensive. Interviews included the hiring partner and various associates.
Because each consulting candidate will be used for a large variety of customer engagements, expectations during the interview process is about finding the best candidates available.
New hires are expected the sink or swim based on their own skills and knowledge.

Interview Question – What are you looking for in your next job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was firm with my request. There was limited negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consulting Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact by headhunter. On site interview in WDC. all day interviews. met with 10 people. Some group interview questions. Follow on negotiation with head hunter.

Interview Question – what is your most difficult client assignmenet   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online one month before, and applied again when I rec'd an email from my business school newsletter saying they are recruiting business majors.

Two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I had a 1st (and final) round of interviews at their DC office. 1 case and 2 behavioral interviews. Over the course of the week, a recruiter called me to say that I got invited to an interview. From that call, I was able to switch from a different service line to another that matched my skills and career goals (so technically this could be considered an employee referral).

Interviewers were very friendly and the Interview Day introduced you to what you would be exposed to if you were to work at IBM. We saw demos such as Watson, smart parking app after the interviews were over.

The emails were confusing (HR side) it was not that greatly coordinated but eventually I worked around it and looked past that before accepting the offer. Depending on the service line you are applying for, you would have to take a skills/intelligence test.

Prepare for the interviews ahead of time and know why you want to work for IBM specifically for the service line you signed up for. Do your research ahead of time and if you get an offer, try to talk to as many employees as possible to get an insider's perspective. They don't recruit at universities as often as other companies since they already have an established name recognition worldwide.

Interview Question – At a meeting with a bunch of executives, you listen to what they are saying about a particular area that clearly that don't have much knowledge about. You, having worked on a similar project, are an expertise compared to these executives. How would you exert yourself in this situation, knowing that you just started working at IBM in less than a year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable, recruiter said my base salary was a premium compared to peers who rec'd a similar offer due to the skills I brought to the table

IT Consultant Interview

IT Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3, 30 minute interviews, including one case interview.

Interview Question – Case interview   Answer Question

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

Senior Managing Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had a couple interviews: Technical Interview and Business interview. Simple to get to the next steps

Interview Question – Interview questions were simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Standard consulting hiring process: two behavioral and one case interview.

Interview Question – Client based questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in August 2013.

Interview Details – Process description (started August 1, 2013, 30 days total from initial contact to salary offer):

1. Sent Resume, copy College Diploma and Certifications transcript from job position posted on Internet site.
2. Contacted two days later by a recruiting agent.
3. Scheduled first phone interview with technical manager.
4. First phone interview seven days after initial contact. Questions related to past working experience and MS products/languages (C#). 15-20 minutes.
5. Two days later, recruiting agent confirmed approval of tech. manager. Scheduled second phone interview with regional director. Requested detailed current employee benefits information. Regular communication by email. Official employee application form (online).
6. Second phone interview regional director seven days after first phone interview. Current experiences and why choosing IBM. 12 minutes interview.
7. Four days later, confirmation of approval of regional director by recruiting agent by email. Sent a second employee application form.
8. Two days after that, first official talk about salary requirements.
9. Confirmed preliminary salary offer.

Interview Question – Why do you choose IBM as your future employer?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Requested salary increase. Offer lower than the national median for the position+experience, way lower for the DMV area.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at IBM in February 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview, followed up by a technical in person interview

Interview Question – describe a time you misjudged someone   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.