ICAP plc Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.2

Front Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in February 2015.

Online application followed by a phone interview. The next round is the assessment centre which is a few hours long and consists of 2 mathematical tests, a group project and presentation and a panel interview with two employees.

Interview Questions
    • phone interview: if you had to convert 1/16 into a decimal without a calculator, how would you do it?   View Answer
    • Why Icap   View Answer

Broker Trainee Interview

Initial Phone Interview (basic math; stock price); Assessment Center (HR Interview; Simulation calculating FX under time constraint; presenting opinion on a potential acquisition); Final interview (Panel interview). HR was slow to move the process along, but that is par for the course. Dodd Frank is putting a pinch on the space they operate in, but it seems like they are increasing the scale of their operations abroad.

2015 New York Full Time Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in November 2014.

there was an initial form which had some weird question. after that i had a phone interview and i answered every single question correctly except for one. I liked the lady and i really thought i would proceed to the next round but i guess she didnt think so. I was really looking forward to the possibility of working with Icap but i guess you dont always get what you want.

Interview Questions
    • when was there a time you had to deal with a non cooperating team member.   View Answer

Broker Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in March 2014.

First step involves a phone interview with HR about you're CV, and general finance questions. If you proceed you get invited to the second round where you have to take multiple tests and present a company to brokers/HR.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know how to do currency triangle really well.
      Know you're mental math as well.

Answer Question

Broker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in October 2012.

I made sure to fill out the online application carefully, and did research on the questions. I was contacted next day to schedule a phone interview.

Phone Interview: 15-20min. Understand what an inter-dealer broker does (as opposed to sales/trading at a bank) and why you'd prefer broking over trading. Might ask what news you've been following that affects their business, what their shares are trading at, your opinion on the financial markets. Brokers often entertain clients, so have something interesting about yourself which is not on your resume, like something you do for fun. Be ready for a solid mix of personality, why you're a good fit for this position (be specific), and a test of market related knowledge questions.

Superday/assessment centre: Group exercise, math tests (x2), and panel interview. Be ready to do currency conversion; currency triangles. Don't sweat the math tests too much, if you did well on the SATs you'll do fine.
    *make sure you show personality during the interview-they don't want introverted brokers

Interview Questions
    • What news story have you been following and how does it affect our business?   Answer Question

Brokder Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at ICAP plc in February 2011.

I applied online and answered the competency questions. it was quite easy, trivial.then they gave me a phone interview.
    they just asked some basic competency questions, which was not hard. I prepared quite a lot and found it helpful searching in the internet for some interview questions. for example they would ask my why icap, what was the difference between broking and investment banking.
    get well prepare, it will be a good experience

Voice Broker Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in March 2010.

On Campus Interview Followed by an invite to Recruitment Center 5 Days Later

havent gotten there

Broker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ICAP plc in February 2010.

I applied online and spent the time to answer the two questions that came along with application thoroughly. I was then asked to make an appointment for a phone interview - I did. Around a month later I was contacted.

I did not prepare too much for the interview and generally speaking it was not so difficult except for a couple Q's. The HR rep asked me what I knew about ICAP (what ICAP does, who are the competitors, what exchange they're traded on, how I learned about ICAP). She asked me to tell her about an achievement that was not on my resume. She then asked how the regulatory environment will change ICAP's business (which was one of the questions in the application). Then what type of broker I would like to be (voice vs electronic) and why I am suitable for the role. I said I didn't have a preference (I don't believe this affected their decisions to take me/not take me). Then she asked whether structured products were brokered by voice or electronically (which i did not answer correctly) and a more technical question "what is 12% of 7?", she insisted i walk her through the mental calculation. She then asked me if I had any questions (you should probably have some questions (only good ones obviously) to portray genuine interest).

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ICAP plc in July 2007.

Phone interview followed by 1:1 meeting

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ICAP plc.

Telephone interview at first. Pretty sure it was outsourced to an HR company. Usual competency based questions.
    Then the Assessment Centre. Bloomberg test, SHL Numerical test, group task (sell ICAP to a company looking to use them for FX), and then personal interview. Mixed group of summer intern applicants and actual grad scheme applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.
      What is the share price?
      What has the share price done in the last 6 months? Why has it done that?
      Tell me about a piece of news you've read which affects ICAP.

Answer Question