ICAP plc

3.3

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The assessment centre involved one numerical test, where there was a tv screen with a simulated bloomberg channel on, with a news anchor, scrolling exchange rates, the FTSE 100 index price, and a list of stock prices. You then get asked 3 questions regarding this info, and 45 seconds to answer each one. All the information changes, and you then have 3 more questions. This happens 5 times. Then there was a standard numerical SHL type test, which is done by hand as opposed to online. There is then a group exercise, where you have to sell a given commodity to a new investor. Finally you have an interview with the recruiter and a member of staff from the company. These are competency based questions, as well as some technical questions related to specifically to ICAP.

Interview Questions
    • The Bloomberg challenge at the beginning was very difficult, as you have to do a large number of calculations in a very short period of time, with no time to make a mistake   Answer Question

Summer InternshipVoice Broking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc.

Online application process, took a week to get the telephone interview and a day till they let me know that I got the assesment centre. 2 interviewers at the AC which went quite smoothly. No technical questions, but more about their company

Interview Questions
    • don't you think you are too nice to be a voice broker   View Answer

Summer Insight Week Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ICAP plc.

Invited to assessment centre.
    Started with a quick fire numerical test. The calculations weren't hard but the time pressure (40 seconds per question) made it very difficult.
    Then there was a group exercise with the group of 7 split in half. One half had to explain why investors should invest in gold whilst the others oil. 10 minutes to prepare a presentation.
    Then there was a short interview with a mixture of competency questions with those just about ICAP.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had to convince someone about something that they seriously disagreed with.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc in February 2014.

Telephone interview with generic questions with HR, then Asessement centre which I am doing in the next few weeks- generic questions like why and IDB, what do you know about ICAP, share price, different types of broking. Numerical test will be at the Assessment Centre with a technical test, 1/1 interview and a presentation I am told

Voice Broking Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICAP plc in December 2013.

Online application, standard phone interview, assessment centre, 2x panel interview.
    The whole process was quite poorly organised and some employees really quite rude. There is quite obviously a massive chip on their shoulders about being an insurance for people who want to go into banking. Strangely, I was constantly challenged on whether I was too intelligent and (for sort of sales-guys) did a really poor job of selling the role/firm. I think they're looking for 'rugby/promo style' lads, even still.

Interview Questions

Broking is a dead industry - i could even tell from my interviewers. Received an offer from a BB (yes - of course it was my insurance).

ICAP Graduate Rec for JUNIOR VOICE BROKER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ICAP plc in April 2013.

I applied as usual and after a couple of months got a call asking if i was still interested and when would i be available for a telephone interview. We set the date and time and it went well.

They asked what i would call generic questions about myself and my CV, and who their main competitors were and why I wanted to work specifically for them. It went very well and went slightly over time (closer to 30 minutes than 20) but overall was a good telephone interview. I then received and email later that day to confirm i was through to the next stage which would be at their offices.

it stated in the email that there would be 2 numerical literacy tests and one group presentation and a short one to one interview as well. I arrived on time and we (me and my fellow interviewees) were sent into a large room with tables facing a projected screen. There was a 5 minute introduction, a couple of example questions for the first test then we were straight into it, pens paper calculators and all.

The first was a 'bloomberg stock trade simulation test' that was timed to 40 seconds per question. I found this very hard and pressurised as there was nothing online that i could have used to prepare for this. The screen was split into exchange rates along the bottom, company share prices in a small table, two pieces of news regarding the price of certain stocks etc and a video showing the 'presenter' who basically just read out the news. It was multiple choice and i definitely struggled. The only thing that cheered me up was the fact that the people on either side of me seemed to be totally guessing the answers as they filled out their questionnaires randomly after the test ended.

Then there was a 5/10 minute break and we were given SHL numeric reasoning tests to complete, 20 questions in 20 minutes (60 seconds per) which was on paper so at least we could go back and forth to questions. Then 10 minutes break again.

we were then told we had 10 minutes to come up with a presentation which would encourage a client (the interviewer) to invest in gold. The time flew and though we were allowed to use our phones to check the stock prices or just google, like i said the time was absolutely minimal, make sure your group is organised very early in who is doing what!

then we were called in individually for less than 10 minutes to 'sell' ourselves and answer some questions including about them in the news recently and so forth. There is very little time to really do much here and i think they only do this one to one bit because of obligation or something.

they got back to me 7 days later saying thanks but no thanks. Overall the experience was very clinical and it didnt seem like an interview so much as a series of exams. We werent really given time to introduce ourselves to them or each other. Despite brokering being heavily based on personality. Their rejection letter was very well written though and i have asked for feedback which they will hopefully send sooner rather than later

Interview Questions
    • how do you think the new regulations will effect us as a company? particularly voice brokering?   Answer Question

Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ICAP plc.

AC has 4 parts. One visual test, one numerical maths, one group presentation and finally the interview.

Graduate Voice Broking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ICAP plc in February 2013.

Applied online and completed the competency questions on why you are suited to broking and the challenges facing the industry. I then didn't hear back till January after applying in November.

The next stage was a phone interview. This was short, around 15 mins, 20 with my questions at the end. It covered competency questions, why I want to be a broker, what will make me particularly good at the role, why ICAP, I was again asked what challenges facing the industry and voice broking. I was also asked what ICAPs share price was, where it was 6 months ago, also where the FTSE 100 was trading over the last year. I was also asked when was the first time I was entrepreneurial and tried to make money. I used an example of selling at school.

I got to the next stage which was an assessment centre. This consisted of trading simulation, numerical test, group presentation, one interview:

Trading simulation: This was a virtual video that attempted to mimic a typical trading day and was like a virtual bloomberg. It had a video with a presenter giving out market news, and other information on the screen included various companies and their share price, as well as FX rates which scrolled across the screen. Questions would then come up on screen one at a time relating to the information in the video and on the screen. Each question lasted 40 seconds. There were 18 in total, and split into groups of 3 questions. Each of these groups represented a particular time in the day i.e. the 1st 3 questions related to 10.30, the 2nd 3 questions 11.30 and so on.

The questions were very timed pressured and I struggled to get my calculations done quickly, then choosing the relevant multiple choice question. This was particularly difficult on questions which for e.g asked for the amount of shares that could be bought in company x in a different currency, this was because by the time you did the calculation ready to convert into the new FX rate, the relevant rate had scrolled off screen and you had to wait for it to scroll on the other end of the screen.

Numerical: Standard SHL. A little harder the ones you get online and the charts for each question don't necessarily follow in order. i.e. questions 1,4,6 will use the same chart, and 2,3,5 will use the same chart. So if you are able to you could answer questions relating to the same chart, but I just did it in order as not to confuse myself.

Presentation: This was time limited group exercise. You were split into 2 groups, and had to give a presentation to the assessors convincing them to invest in your commodity (these were gas and coal for each group). You were given a variety of materials which you could use. You had 5-10 mins to prepare, and then 5 mins to give your presentation. Just ensure everyone is making a contribution in the preparation and make a logical structure, the details are here or there, but try to add something creative for your section of the presentation. In my feedback I was told I gave creative ideas, and did so confidently, so make sure you speak up and don't fidget and get to the point.

Interview: This was not very long. It was face to face with 2 recruiters. Very little was asked and I think the onus is really on you to sell yourself rather than answer lots of questions that they ask. They only really asked why I wanted to be a broker and what I had that would make me successful. They really want to see your character, so express this! Whether this is smiling throughout, being upbeat, or describing a hobby or sport with passion. It will show that you have the personality to be a broker (unfortunately this was my downfall, despite being outgoing normally I had recently been reigning in how expressive I had been in other interviews to be more professional, when in fact it would have worked in my favour this time!). Other things asked were just going through various work experiences on my CV and whether I had worked on a fast trading floor before which I did.

Overall, while I felt on some tasks you didn't have sufficient amount of time to demonstrate everything about you (for e.g. face to face interview I didn't get a full chance to expand on all my sporting involvement), the experience was relatively well handled. I got a decent amount of feedback when I called in, which is good given that there have been occasions when I've received nothing, not even a reply to say I had been rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Name the first time you tried to make money and what did you do?

What is ICAP's share price, and where was it 6 months ago?
      What do you think are the issues currently facing the industry?

Answer Question

Interdealer Broking Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ICAP plc.

First round was a telephone interview. This was a fairly standard 30 minute interview, where the sole aim seemed to put you under pressure. It is competency based so nothing too technical is needed. Final round is Assessment Centre, the interview in this is far more casual where it is a lot more about understanding you as a person and seeing how you may fit into ICAP's culture. As the job relies so much on the type of person, by far personality is the most important trait to get across. However, naturally you will be expected to know about the industry and the role you want to do.

Graduate Electronic Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICAP plc in January 2013.

After completing the initial application form on the website, I was invited quite shortly afterwards to do a telephone interview with someone from HR, which lasted around 30 minutes.

The interview is mainly competency-based however make sure you do your research on ICAP first, specifically, what they do, who their competitors are, what their share price is, how their shares have been performing over the last 6 months/1 year and why this is so.

There was a maths question in mine so make sure you've got a calculator by the phone (and be prepared to explain your working out!). Usually they aren't that challenging (mine was express 3/8 as a decimal – 0.375) but the interviewer will often ask it in between two competency-based questions, so be prepared for it! Also: make sure you know the difference between a broker and a trader (brokers are the intermediary between buyers and sellers, and don't actually advise the clients on which stocks to buy) and why broking not trading (I said less risk).

I was successful in the telephone interview round and was invited to an assessment centre in London, which runs on for about 3-4 hours. The first task is a "quick fire exercise", whereby you have to watch a fake news channel and answer 18 questions based on the news that day. It's usually fairly simple maths questions (such as percentage changes, ratios, and currency conversion) but you only have 40 seconds to work out and answer each question, so don't spend too long working one question out!

The second task was a written SHL numeracy test – if you've done these online then you'll know what to expect. The questions were slightly harder than the online ones (and you've got less time for each question) but ICAP don't expect you to finish it – just do your best (and you can skip out questions) and you'll be fine.

The third task was a group exercise, whereby the group of 12 was split into 2 groups of 6 and each one had a certain commodity (gas and coal), which they then had to present to the "investors" (two members of the Graduate Recruitment team). You're allowed to use anything you've got on you (they provide you with a copy of the FT) and at the end you have to explain why the investors should invest in your commodity. Make sure your voice is heard in the group and don't shoot down any ideas – they aren't looking for leadership skills, just how you can work in a team.

The interview was very pleasant and lasted about 20 minutes. They picked apart my CV and focused on certain areas. Try to bring in something that's not on your CV and sell yourself in the interview – brokers have big personalities and lots of flair so you should demonstrate this in the interview (in moderation of course). They aren't there to grill you but simply to find out whether they think you are a good match for their company.

Overall, a pleasant experience. The Graduate Recruitment team are very friendly and don't put you under pressure at all and although I didn't get an offer, I came away with a positive experience. One benefit of ICAP is that if you are unsuccessful they take the time and contact you a couple of weeks after the interview with some feedback, plus your test scores, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions
    • What was the price of gold this week?
      Why broking and not trading?

Answer Question