ICF International

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email with some questions, went in for in person interview. Very easy. Got a call a few days later offering me the position. Twelve dollars an hour. Started with some training and then hopped into internship

Interview Question – what is your weakness?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – better offer elsewhwere

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was approached by an ICF employee to discuss an opening with the company. I had interviews with middle management personnel at ICF headquarters and with the clients on client site. The questions from both interviews were largely focused on my previous experience and how it related to the work I would be doing for the client. I received an offer the day after my interview with the client.

Interview Question – None. It was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a lower salary than I had submitted, but received a sign-on bonus for the difference.

Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ICF International in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview, a series of 1:1 interviews followed up by call with recruiter. Overall a smooth, quick process what was well organized. Received offer two days after interview

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult work environment and how would you have handled it differently   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Question – I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very long process - make sure to eat a large breakfast. I had 5 interviews, some were one-on-one, and some were group interviews. The final one was with my potential boss. Be prepared to connect your experience with the job description, which is very typical interview advice, but there were no unexpected curveballs here.

Negotiation Details – I received an offer near the top of my salary range, so I did not negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at ICF International

Interview Details – Initially talked to them at an on-campus career expo, had a interview the next day with them. Then a few weeks later got a final interview at their corporate office. The corporate interview consists of a presentation and then an interview with 3 other individuals

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume starting your senior year in high school.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Fairfax, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – After I submitted the online application for half a month, I received a telephone interview invitation and talked with the recruiter several days later and she asked for my writing sample. And a week later, I received another telephone interview with the project manager. The third step is on-site interview with five members of the project, around 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – One of the question I didn't prepare is that what is your experience with difficult customer.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in December 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted application for Research Assistant through indeed.com; was called back, I believe, within a week. Interview was longish (met with the recruiter, then two RA's, then two associates, then one of the VPs and another senior associate, then the recruiter again at the end), but not very intensive. I wasn't asked too much about my specific skills (questions were more general, e.g. "what are your career goals," "what sort of work did you do in [college, last job]," etc.).

Interview Question – Don't remember many specifics (this was years ago), but I do remember not getting a lot of difficult or unexpected questions. The interviews were more like conversations, and made it feel like they genuinely just wanted to know what my goals were, what I could do, what I LIKED to do, what type of experience I had, etc.

I think at the end of the day, if you've gotten the interview for an RA position, it probably means you can do the job; they just want to make sure you're not a total psychopath in the interview. Just know about your history and goals, and how they connect to the area you're interviewing for, and you'll be fine.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I initially balked because it would have been a far commute for me (I lived in NW DC at the time), and the recruiter basically convinced me via the "c'mooon..."-method over the phone.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – Interviews with multiple people above and below the position. Meeting with recruitment, submission of resume, background check. There were lots of back-and-forth emails with various people in the division and in HR. Sometimes the information was clear, sometimes it was conflicting. The onboarding process was very confusing, but at least it was done in person. Later it became online only and was even more confusing for new employees.

Interview Question – None. I was asked what book I was currently reading.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't relent with what you want. If they want you they will pay what you ask. They laugh at people who accept lower than they would pay.

Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International in December 2010.

Interview Details – Employee referral. Contacted by HR.
1) Phone interview with HR (fit)
2) Day-long interviews with Associate, Manager, Senior Manager and VP.

Interview Question – Explain Renewable Portfolio Standards. (The interview was for the Environmental Markets team)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Room to negotiate, but not much.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ICF International

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!