ICF International Interview Questions & Reviews in Fairfax, VA

29 interviews

2.4

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2014.

Job was posted on a listserve and submitted my resume online along with sending it over to the contact that posted the job. Got contacted by a recruiter asking for a writing sample got scheduled for an interview. Phone interview late afternoon and in-person interview the next morning. Met with 5 people during the interview. Regular behavioral questions, strength, weaknesses, travel, quantitative skills, what are you looking for in a job, difficult client, deadlines, time management.

Interview Questions
    • The most interesting question was: what surprised you when you started working at your first job out of college?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in May 2014.

Got an email with some questions, went in for in person interview. Very easy. Got a call a few days later offering me the position. Twelve dollars an hour. Started with some training and then hopped into internship

better offer elsewhwere

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in January 2012.

I was approached by an ICF employee to discuss an opening with the company. I had interviews with middle management personnel at ICF headquarters and with the clients on client site. The questions from both interviews were largely focused on my previous experience and how it related to the work I would be doing for the client. I received an offer the day after my interview with the client.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a lower salary than I had submitted, but received a sign-on bonus for the difference.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ICF International in March 2014.

Phone interview, a series of 1:1 interviews followed up by call with recruiter. Overall a smooth, quick process what was well organized. Received offer two days after interview

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a difficult work environment and how would you have handled it differently   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Questions
    • I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Very long process - make sure to eat a large breakfast. I had 5 interviews, some were one-on-one, and some were group interviews. The final one was with my potential boss. Be prepared to connect your experience with the job description, which is very typical interview advice, but there were no unexpected curveballs here.

I received an offer near the top of my salary range, so I did not negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Initially talked to them at an on-campus career expo, had a interview the next day with them. Then a few weeks later got a final interview at their corporate office. The corporate interview consists of a presentation and then an interview with 3 other individuals

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume starting your senior year in high school.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

After I submitted the online application for half a month, I received a telephone interview invitation and talked with the recruiter several days later and she asked for my writing sample. And a week later, I received another telephone interview with the project manager. The third step is on-site interview with five members of the project, around 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • One of the question I didn't prepare is that what is your experience with difficult customer.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in December 2011.

Submitted application for Research Assistant through indeed.com; was called back, I believe, within a week. Interview was longish (met with the recruiter, then two RA's, then two associates, then one of the VPs and another senior associate, then the recruiter again at the end), but not very intensive. I wasn't asked too much about my specific skills (questions were more general, e.g. "what are your career goals," "what sort of work did you do in [college, last job]," etc.).

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember many specifics (this was years ago), but I do remember not getting a lot of difficult or unexpected questions. The interviews were more like conversations, and made it feel like they genuinely just wanted to know what my goals were, what I could do, what I LIKED to do, what type of experience I had, etc.

I think at the end of the day, if you've gotten the interview for an RA position, it probably means you can do the job; they just want to make sure you're not a total psychopath in the interview. Just know about your history and goals, and how they connect to the area you're interviewing for, and you'll be fine.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation. I initially balked because it would have been a far commute for me (I lived in NW DC at the time), and the recruiter basically convinced me via the "c'mooon..."-method over the phone.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interviews with multiple people above and below the position. Meeting with recruitment, submission of resume, background check. There were lots of back-and-forth emails with various people in the division and in HR. Sometimes the information was clear, sometimes it was conflicting. The onboarding process was very confusing, but at least it was done in person. Later it became online only and was even more confusing for new employees.

Interview Questions
    Don't relent with what you want. If they want you they will pay what you ask. They laugh at people who accept lower than they would pay.

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!