ICF International Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015
Updated Mar 6, 2015

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ICF International.

I was an employee referral and was contacted by an HR person within 2 weeks of applying for an RA position online. Went in for an interview and met with 3 people, including my prospective manager. Typical behavioral questions, nothing difficult. HR got back to me in one day with an offer.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International.

Applied online via the company's website. Was contacted several weeks after for an initial phone screening. Within a few days they got back to me to schedule an in person interview in VA. Both interviews were very straightforward and they didn't ask me any particularly difficult questions.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of government contracting, they were not able to actually offer me the position until they received the award by the government. It's been over three months and they have still not received the money for their proposal.

Interview Questions
    • Have you kept up to date with the newest techniques in linear programming and optimization?   Answer Question

The process took too long. Was given another offer in the meantime.

Country Manager for DHS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in January 2014.

ICF International brought me to their Rockville, MD office for an interview. Over 4 hours, I interviewed with 8 people. It was a bit intense, because they obviously wanted to maximize flying me down by meeting as many people as possible. Since the position for the DHS, I also had to analyze a DHS table and write a few paragraphs about my analysis.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers were very intent on hearing about survey experience that I had. I have some, but at a much smaller scale than what they were looking for. I'm not sure what type of survey experience anyone could have that matches the DHS experience- ie: there are only so many large, national, population-based surveys.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who set up an initial phone screening. A week or two after he contacted me to set up an interview with a team of six people. I met with the entire group and they asked me pretty basic questions about my experience, education, and whether I wanted to specialize in an aspect of my field or go the generalist/project manager route. There were no behavioral or situational questions. The interview was about an hour and a half total and included a basic writing exam. Everyone was very friendly and eager to answer my questions.

Interview Questions
    I accepted their offer because it was $10,000 more than an offer at a rival company.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Initially talked to them at an on-campus career expo, had a interview the next day with them. Then a few weeks later got a final interview at their corporate office. The corporate interview consists of a presentation and then an interview with 3 other individuals

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume starting your senior year in high school.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

1 phone interview and 1 on site interview

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be 10 years and how does this position help you achieve that goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Questions
    • I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

I was referred directly to the hiring manager for a specific position from an employee on a different team. HR was disorganized and more difficult to deal with than average, but still friendly and professional. At times I wondered if this was intentional/part of the interview. The interview was a full day, with 1 person from HR and 5 people on the team I was interviewing with. The interview included a lunch meeting and a meeting with HR. All the team members seemed engaged and interested in the interview, but each 20 minute interview ended 5-10 minutes early because the team members were so busy.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was mostly behavioral. The only technical questions I was asked were very specifically related to past experience on my resume. I believe one person looked up a technical report that I had published through my last job, where I was part of a team. I was asked how some of the information was calculated in that report and to describe exactly what technical components I contributed.   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in September 2013.

Within days of submitting my application, a recruiter contacted me and set up a day for a Skype interview. The Skype interview lasted about 30 minutes and was pretty laid back. The questions were typical such as: What's your understanding of the job description?, What's your experience with literature reviews?. A month after my Skype interview, I was invited for an in person interview. The interview was split up into two 45 minute sessions with 4 individuals. Everyone was very friendly, and again, the questions were typical. Examples of the questions include: Why ICF? What are your topic interests? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why is management and evaluation an important tool? What is your opinion of logic models? All in all, positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Initial screening call then 2 phone interviews and in-person interview. Typical questions about work experience, tell me about a time you had to deal with x/y/z, what did you do, and why. No case study questions. Process took about 2 months from start to finish.