ICF International

114 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in September 2013.

Interview Details – Within days of submitting my application, a recruiter contacted me and set up a day for a Skype interview. The Skype interview lasted about 30 minutes and was pretty laid back. The questions were typical such as: What's your understanding of the job description?, What's your experience with literature reviews?. A month after my Skype interview, I was invited for an in person interview. The interview was split up into two 45 minute sessions with 4 individuals. Everyone was very friendly, and again, the questions were typical. Examples of the questions include: Why ICF? What are your topic interests? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why is management and evaluation an important tool? What is your opinion of logic models? All in all, positive experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – I was referred directly to the hiring manager for a specific position from an employee on a different team. HR was disorganized and more difficult to deal with than average, but still friendly and professional. At times I wondered if this was intentional/part of the interview. The interview was a full day, with 1 person from HR and 5 people on the team I was interviewing with. The interview included a lunch meeting and a meeting with HR. All the team members seemed engaged and interested in the interview, but each 20 minute interview ended 5-10 minutes early because the team members were so busy.

Interview Question – The interview was mostly behavioral. The only technical questions I was asked were very specifically related to past experience on my resume. I believe one person looked up a technical report that I had published through my last job, where I was part of a team. I was asked how some of the information was calculated in that report and to describe exactly what technical components I contributed.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call from the recruiter 1 week later. Phone screen went well, and was immediately scheduled for a phone interview with hiring manager and other staff 1 week later. Phone interview lasted over an hour, and conversation went well. Was invited for in-person interview 3 days later. 4 days before my in-person interview, was informed that funding had falling through so they were no longer hiring for the position. Disappointing, Yes. But I'm glad they told me before I got my hopes up after an in-person interview. If I'm still looking when funding comes back around, I will consider ICF.

Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in December 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted application for Research Assistant through indeed.com; was called back, I believe, within a week. Interview was longish (met with the recruiter, then two RA's, then two associates, then one of the VPs and another senior associate, then the recruiter again at the end), but not very intensive. I wasn't asked too much about my specific skills (questions were more general, e.g. "what are your career goals," "what sort of work did you do in [college, last job]," etc.).

Interview Question – Don't remember many specifics (this was years ago), but I do remember not getting a lot of difficult or unexpected questions. The interviews were more like conversations, and made it feel like they genuinely just wanted to know what my goals were, what I could do, what I LIKED to do, what type of experience I had, etc.

I think at the end of the day, if you've gotten the interview for an RA position, it probably means you can do the job; they just want to make sure you're not a total psychopath in the interview. Just know about your history and goals, and how they connect to the area you're interviewing for, and you'll be fine.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I initially balked because it would have been a far commute for me (I lived in NW DC at the time), and the recruiter basically convinced me via the "c'mooon..."-method over the phone.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter two weeks after applying online. Phone screen with recruiter a week later, and then second phone screen with hiring manager. Heard back a month later that they decided to move forward with other candidates

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Interviewed at ICF International

Interview Details – Initial screening call then 2 phone interviews and in-person interview. Typical questions about work experience, tell me about a time you had to deal with x/y/z, what did you do, and why. No case study questions. Process took about 2 months from start to finish.

Interview Question – Wasn't really anything too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Social Media Specialist Interview

Social Media Specialist
Beltsville, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter, explained position, company, and project. Contacted an additional time by email by another recruiter, with the details of the interview. 4 person panel interview, 2 left for the remaining technical questions.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. What did I think of existing outreach efforts, basic social media technical questions, my future goals and if they fit what they were looking for (time commitments and such). Gave me a project to do with a quick turn around time.   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in June 2013.

Interview Details – Received an invitation to apply for an RA position after a referral from a current employee. Sent transcripts and writing samples over email. Invited to phone screening and later Skype interviews with team members.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had problems with your manager. How did you handle the situation   Answer Question

Senior Technical Specialist Interview

Senior Technical Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – Applied for the job via a mailing list posting. Didn't hear anything for 2 months, then had a phone interview followed by in person interview. Met with 9 different people making up both ICF and client personnel. Received offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – No difficult questions both all in-person interviews were group interviews which I find more challenging that one-to-one   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's some room for negotiation but they play hard ball.

Jackson, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a position online and was contacted by a recruiter three days later. The recruiter gave me information about the company and asked a few general questions about my background and what I was looking for. He let me know that I would be contacted by another ICF employee to set up an in-person interview. He provided the name of the person that would be contacting me, which gave me confidence that is was actually going to happen. I received communication from this person the following day and an interview was scheduled for the following week. The interview was two hours total, broken down into four 30 minute interviews with various individuals including two portfolio managers, a program manager, and another research assistant. The interview was not particularly unique or difficult. None of the questions I was asked were unexpected or out of the ordinary. Each person I met with asked about my Excel abilities- brush up on your pivot table skills! Overall, the interview was a positive experience, and everyone I spoke with talked very highly of the team and the organization as a whole. At the end of the interview I wasn't given any hint as to when I might hear from the company and eventually began to think that I wouldn't. It was three weeks later when I received a call from the recruiter offering me a job, which I accepted.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years:?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate salary, but was aware of this going in as the recruiter informed me of the pay prior to my interview being scheduled.