ICF International

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

1 phone interview and 1 on site interview

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be 10 years and how does this position help you achieve that goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Questions
    • I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

I was referred directly to the hiring manager for a specific position from an employee on a different team. HR was disorganized and more difficult to deal with than average, but still friendly and professional. At times I wondered if this was intentional/part of the interview. The interview was a full day, with 1 person from HR and 5 people on the team I was interviewing with. The interview included a lunch meeting and a meeting with HR. All the team members seemed engaged and interested in the interview, but each 20 minute interview ended 5-10 minutes early because the team members were so busy.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was mostly behavioral. The only technical questions I was asked were very specifically related to past experience on my resume. I believe one person looked up a technical report that I had published through my last job, where I was part of a team. I was asked how some of the information was calculated in that report and to describe exactly what technical components I contributed.   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in September 2013.

Within days of submitting my application, a recruiter contacted me and set up a day for a Skype interview. The Skype interview lasted about 30 minutes and was pretty laid back. The questions were typical such as: What's your understanding of the job description?, What's your experience with literature reviews?. A month after my Skype interview, I was invited for an in person interview. The interview was split up into two 45 minute sessions with 4 individuals. Everyone was very friendly, and again, the questions were typical. Examples of the questions include: Why ICF? What are your topic interests? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why is management and evaluation an important tool? What is your opinion of logic models? All in all, positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

Contacted by recruiter two weeks after applying online. Phone screen with recruiter a week later, and then second phone screen with hiring manager. Heard back a month later that they decided to move forward with other candidates

Analyst Interview

Initial screening call then 2 phone interviews and in-person interview. Typical questions about work experience, tell me about a time you had to deal with x/y/z, what did you do, and why. No case study questions. Process took about 2 months from start to finish.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online – interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

After I submitted the online application for half a month, I received a telephone interview invitation and talked with the recruiter several days later and she asked for my writing sample. And a week later, I received another telephone interview with the project manager. The third step is on-site interview with five members of the project, around 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • One of the question I didn't prepare is that what is your experience with difficult customer.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Internal referral and later contacted by HR for different posts

None

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Very long process - make sure to eat a large breakfast. I had 5 interviews, some were one-on-one, and some were group interviews. The final one was with my potential boss. Be prepared to connect your experience with the job description, which is very typical interview advice, but there were no unexpected curveballs here.

I received an offer near the top of my salary range, so I did not negotiate.

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Contacted by recruiter, explained position, company, and project. Contacted an additional time by email by another recruiter, with the details of the interview. 4 person panel interview, 2 left for the remaining technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. What did I think of existing outreach efforts, basic social media technical questions, my future goals and if they fit what they were looking for (time commitments and such). Gave me a project to do with a quick turn around time.   Answer Question