ICF International Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Unstructured and informal. The company has many business units and I interviewed in the EET group. They like resumes that are very basic and streamlined. Interviewed onsite in Fairfax with multiple staff individually and then presented in front of several junior staff.

Interview Questions

• How does an air conditioner work?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ICF International

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Interviewing process took quite a bit of time. Applied online and got called back for a phone interview two weeks later. Two weeks later after the phone interview, I was scheduled for a 3 1/2 hour in-person interview. Staff was very friendly; met with 4 different people for 30 minutes each. Each person gave me a scenario where I would have to explain my thought process of how to go about the project at hand. Overall, good experience.

Interview Questions

• Different random scenarios given   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ICF International (Fairfax, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Job was posted on a listserve and submitted my resume online along with sending it over to the contact that posted the job. Got contacted by a recruiter asking for a writing sample got scheduled for an interview. Phone interview late afternoon and in-person interview the next morning. Met with 5 people during the interview. Regular behavioral questions, strength, weaknesses, travel, quantitative skills, what are you looking for in a job, difficult client, deadlines, time management.

Interview Questions

• The most interesting question was: what surprised you when you started working at your first job out of college?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ICF International.

Interview

Very basic interview questions, no surprising or strange questions. Very friendly management, made it comfortable and less nerve wrecking. Great place to start interviewing for entry level associates with minimum experience.

Interview Questions

• How can you handle many projects in a short period of time   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International.

Interview

I applied online for a research assistant position and was called by a recruiter a few weeks later. The recruiter conducted a brief informal interview over the phone, and set up an interview for the following week with the individual who would be supervising this position. During that interview, I was informed that I was overqualified for the position, but that the company was looking to hire a research associate in the near future and that they would keep me in mind.

Around two weeks later, a second recruiter contacted me again to set up an interview for this new research associate position. I had a total of three Skype interviews for this position over a span of about 3 weeks. I was told during all three interviews that I would hear back within the next two or three weeks.

After two weeks passed, I followed up with both recruiters, and did not receive a response from either. By this time, I had already accepted a position with another company, but I was still interested in hearing back from ICF. I understand that they might have chosen another candidate, but after nearly three/four months of interviewing for two positions, I felt as though I deserved an email regarding their final decision. I was extremely disappointed with the way they handled the entire process, and I expected more from this company.

Other than that, the interviews were standard. Asked about specific interests in the field, previous projects/experience, analysis skills, strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to give examples of when I had demonstrated certain qualities. I felt that many of the qualities were similar, so it was difficult to think of unique situations for each.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at ICF International (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview for 30 minutes. Then 5 or 6 in-person interviews, all in one day. One of them was a lunch. It was very laid back. They were nice. Do some research about their current projects to impress them.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of your team members were not pulling their weight?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ICF International.

Interview

I was an employee referral and was contacted by an HR person within 2 weeks of applying for an RA position online. Went in for an interview and met with 3 people, including my prospective manager. Typical behavioral questions, nothing difficult. HR got back to me in one day with an offer.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

Interview

1 phone interview and 1 on site interview

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to be 10 years and how does this position help you achieve that goal?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International (Fairfax, VA) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Questions

• I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ICF International (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter two weeks after applying online. Phone screen with recruiter a week later, and then second phone screen with hiring manager. Heard back a month later that they decided to move forward with other candidates