ICF International

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – Very basic interview questions, no surprising or strange questions. Very friendly management, made it comfortable and less nerve wrecking. Great place to start interviewing for entry level associates with minimum experience.

Interview Question – How can you handle many projects in a short period of time   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – I applied online for a research assistant position and was called by a recruiter a few weeks later. The recruiter conducted a brief informal interview over the phone, and set up an interview for the following week with the individual who would be supervising this position. During that interview, I was informed that I was overqualified for the position, but that the company was looking to hire a research associate in the near future and that they would keep me in mind.

Around two weeks later, a second recruiter contacted me again to set up an interview for this new research associate position. I had a total of three Skype interviews for this position over a span of about 3 weeks. I was told during all three interviews that I would hear back within the next two or three weeks.

After two weeks passed, I followed up with both recruiters, and did not receive a response from either. By this time, I had already accepted a position with another company, but I was still interested in hearing back from ICF. I understand that they might have chosen another candidate, but after nearly three/four months of interviewing for two positions, I felt as though I deserved an email regarding their final decision. I was extremely disappointed with the way they handled the entire process, and I expected more from this company.

Other than that, the interviews were standard. Asked about specific interests in the field, previous projects/experience, analysis skills, strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – Asked me to give examples of when I had demonstrated certain qualities. I felt that many of the qualities were similar, so it was difficult to think of unique situations for each.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at ICF International in April 2013.

Interview Details – Employee referral, which a couple weeks later got me a phone interview. A week later I was asked to come down for an in person interview, which consisted of four 30-minute one-on-one interviews and a 1.5 hour lunch. Questions were largely about my experience, why I wanted to work at ICF, what my career goals are. A few behavioral "explain a time when you learned ____" were thrown in the mix. Overall, it was conversational and pleasant.

Interview Question – None. Most difficult questions were behavioral.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little wiggle room on salary. Not sure how it was for others.

Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Question – I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – Internal referral and later contacted by HR for different posts

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – I was an employee referral and was contacted by an HR person within 2 weeks of applying for an RA position online. Went in for an interview and met with 3 people, including my prospective manager. Typical behavioral questions, nothing difficult. HR got back to me in one day with an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you failed.   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview and 1 on site interview

Interview Question – Where do you want to be 10 years and how does this position help you achieve that goal?   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at ICF International in May 2009.

Interview Details – Standard behavioral and fit questions for entry level / straight-out-of-college grads.. Prepare good questions to ask interviewer

Interview Question – No curve balls   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate straight out of college

Fairfax, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – After I submitted the online application for half a month, I received a telephone interview invitation and talked with the recruiter several days later and she asked for my writing sample. And a week later, I received another telephone interview with the project manager. The third step is on-site interview with five members of the project, around 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – One of the question I didn't prepare is that what is your experience with difficult customer.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter two weeks after applying online. Phone screen with recruiter a week later, and then second phone screen with hiring manager. Heard back a month later that they decided to move forward with other candidates

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ICF International

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!

ICF International Videos

ICF International – Why Work for Us?

Working at ICF International means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ICF International Research Assistant interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by ICF International employees and interview candidates.