ICF International

Average Difficulty
46 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fairfax, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2014.

Interview Details – Job was posted on a listserve and submitted my resume online along with sending it over to the contact that posted the job. Got contacted by a recruiter asking for a writing sample got scheduled for an interview. Phone interview late afternoon and in-person interview the next morning. Met with 5 people during the interview. Regular behavioral questions, strength, weaknesses, travel, quantitative skills, what are you looking for in a job, difficult client, deadlines, time management.

Interview Question – The most interesting question was: what surprised you when you started working at your first job out of college?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email with some questions, went in for in person interview. Very easy. Got a call a few days later offering me the position. Twelve dollars an hour. Started with some training and then hopped into internship

Interview Question – what is your weakness?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – better offer elsewhwere

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was approached by an ICF employee to discuss an opening with the company. I had interviews with middle management personnel at ICF headquarters and with the clients on client site. The questions from both interviews were largely focused on my previous experience and how it related to the work I would be doing for the client. I received an offer the day after my interview with the client.

Interview Question – None. It was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a lower salary than I had submitted, but received a sign-on bonus for the difference.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at ICF International in April 2013.

Interview Details – Employee referral, which a couple weeks later got me a phone interview. A week later I was asked to come down for an in person interview, which consisted of four 30-minute one-on-one interviews and a 1.5 hour lunch. Questions were largely about my experience, why I wanted to work at ICF, what my career goals are. A few behavioral "explain a time when you learned ____" were thrown in the mix. Overall, it was conversational and pleasant.

Interview Question – None. Most difficult questions were behavioral.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little wiggle room on salary. Not sure how it was for others.

Associate Interview

Associate
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ICF International in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview, a series of 1:1 interviews followed up by call with recruiter. Overall a smooth, quick process what was well organized. Received offer two days after interview

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult work environment and how would you have handled it differently   Answer Question

Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in November 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and was contacted by email a month or so later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was only 15-20 minutes long and consisted of questions regarding location, interests, and long-term career goals.

Two weeks after the phone interview, I received an invitation for an in-person interview at their main office, which was scheduled to be a week later. The day began with an introductory presentation about the company. There were about ten of us, and each interviewee was put in an unoccupied office. The interview process involved three separate interviews. Two of the interviewers were very casual and nice, but one was a nightmare. He asked unexpected technical questions, and he made hurtful remarks about my inability to answer one of his questions about cost benefit analysis.

The interviews were followed by lunch with recently hired employees in similar positions. It went longer than expected. Lunch was followed by a brief tour of the building, but I had to leave early due to fear of missing my flight. My cab was taking its time getting there, and I awkwardly sat with other applicants waiting for cabs after they had completed the tour. I could have taken the tour while waiting and looked silly for leaving.

Overall, it was not a positive experience. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, and they did not bother to follow-up and tell me that.

Interview Question – I had listed a climate law course on my resume. The course focused on the Kyoto Protocol and post-Kyoto negotiations. I was asked to place climate change mitigation strategies along a curve, comparing cost and effectiveness. I was unprepared for that.   View Answer

Country Manager for DHS Interview

Country Manager for DHS
Rockville, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ICF International in January 2014.

Interview Details – ICF International brought me to their Rockville, MD office for an interview. Over 4 hours, I interviewed with 8 people. It was a bit intense, because they obviously wanted to maximize flying me down by meeting as many people as possible. Since the position for the DHS, I also had to analyze a DHS table and write a few paragraphs about my analysis.

Interview Question – The interviewers were very intent on hearing about survey experience that I had. I have some, but at a much smaller scale than what they were looking for. I'm not sure what type of survey experience anyone could have that matches the DHS experience- ie: there are only so many large, national, population-based surveys.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very long process - make sure to eat a large breakfast. I had 5 interviews, some were one-on-one, and some were group interviews. The final one was with my potential boss. Be prepared to connect your experience with the job description, which is very typical interview advice, but there were no unexpected curveballs here.

Negotiation Details – I received an offer near the top of my salary range, so I did not negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at ICF International

Interview Details – Initially talked to them at an on-campus career expo, had a interview the next day with them. Then a few weeks later got a final interview at their corporate office. The corporate interview consists of a presentation and then an interview with 3 other individuals

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume starting your senior year in high school.   Answer Question

Fairfax, VA

I applied online - interviewed at ICF International in August 2013.

Interview Details – After I submitted the online application for half a month, I received a telephone interview invitation and talked with the recruiter several days later and she asked for my writing sample. And a week later, I received another telephone interview with the project manager. The third step is on-site interview with five members of the project, around 2.5 hours.

Interview Question – One of the question I didn't prepare is that what is your experience with difficult customer.   Answer Question

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!