ICF International

2.5

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ICF International in July 2013.

Very knowledgeable developers. was asked about real life situations and possible solutions.

Interview Questions
    • describe piece of code as a solution after ruling out most common approach.   Answer Question

lack of option for creativity.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

Interviews with multiple people above and below the position. Meeting with recruitment, submission of resume, background check. There were lots of back-and-forth emails with various people in the division and in HR. Sometimes the information was clear, sometimes it was conflicting. The onboarding process was very confusing, but at least it was done in person. Later it became online only and was even more confusing for new employees.

Interview Questions
    Don't relent with what you want. If they want you they will pay what you ask. They laugh at people who accept lower than they would pay.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at ICF International.

Very slow and disorganized process. Expect a phone interview with several people, then repeat in person. Having an inside person is the only way to get hired unless you are entry level.

Interview Questions
    • None. Very standard questions. Interviewers will go off script if you lead the conversation.   Answer Question
    HR recruiters lied about bonuses and benefits. Do not believe them. There was no flexibility to negotiate on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International in April 2013.

Employee referral, which a couple weeks later got me a phone interview. A week later I was asked to come down for an in person interview, which consisted of four 30-minute one-on-one interviews and a 1.5 hour lunch. Questions were largely about my experience, why I wanted to work at ICF, what my career goals are. A few behavioral "explain a time when you learned ____" were thrown in the mix. Overall, it was conversational and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    Little wiggle room on salary. Not sure how it was for others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International in February 2013.

I applied online on the same day that they listed the job ad. 3 days later, I received a phone call from an HR rep asking for a brief phone interview with her. 2 days later, we had our 30 minute phone interview, where she mostly asked for clarification on previous positions and describing the general responsibilities of the position. 2 days later I was asked to arrange in person interviews, which were planned for the following week (6 days later).

I had 7 in-person interviews, and they went well (and surprisingly fast). Each was 30 minutes long; first I met with the same HR rep from the phone interview, then I had two interviews with project management (one of which was the hiring manager), followed by an interview with two employees on the analyst level, senior management, project lead, and then finishing with the HR rep.

With my interviews the questions involved asking about my previous experience, and asking how I would feel about performing certain tasks. There were little technical questions asked. I honestly enjoyed the interview experience, since I came into the interviews with little understanding of the projects assigned to the team.

I was told that I would hear a progress report the following week (telling me if they had made a decision, or if they were still interviewing candidates). Before that date I received a phone call from the HR rep telling me that the team decided to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you were overwhelmed with work, how would you address it? Who would you talk to about it?   Answer Question
    I listed my desired salary rate a bit higher than the rates of other RA jobs locally; they offered a bit more (but still mid-range according to Glassdoor). I was happy with the offer, but had no room to negotiate benefits/salary when I received the job offer.

Energy Efficiency Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International in November 2012.

Applied through the ICF website, contacted in about a week or two. Interview was at the office (no phone interview) and was 4 hours with 5 different people. Mostly personality type questions and them telling you about the position. There were no technical questions during my interview. It's been about 2 weeks and I have not heard anything back just yet.

Interview Questions
    • Once again, all personality questions so for example, "Tell me about a time where you had to deal with an obstacle."   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ICF International in October 2012.

I received a call from a recruiter who found my resume in their database. She sent me the position description and we scheduled a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour long. After the phone interview I was asked to come in a meet the hiring team. I had about four 45 min interviews. Since the hiring manager was not in the office on that day I also had a phone interview with her two days later.

Interview Questions
    No able to negotiate. Be sure you do your research when asked about your salary requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied in-person – interviewed at ICF International.

I was contacted by HR via phone and was asked a couple of basic questions about my skills. We then scheduled an interview a few days later.
    During the interview I met with the hiring manager, who was very pleasant. She asked a few general questions about my experience, and took some time to explain the position a little bit. Then she asked some standard cookie cutter questions, "Explain a time where you overcame adversity." "Explain a time where you had to work in a group."
    After that, I met with a couple of younger employees who asked similar questions about my background experience. Again, pleasant for the most part.
    Next, I met with two other managers who simultaneously interviewed. Questions about my experiences were asked again, followed by more cookie cutter interview questions, "Do you prefer working in a group or working individually?" ect. These interviewers were also considerate and were very engaging.
    Towards the end of these interviews, the hiring manager popped in to inform me that I was the first to be interviewed and that I should hear back from them in a couple of weeks.
    I thanked them and left, sending thank you letters that day.
    Two weeks later after hearing nothing, I called. The hiring manager informed me that they were still interviewing and that HR should contact me soon. That was over five weeks ago. Nobody ever contacted me.
    What I did not tell them was that four days after my interview, I noticed that a LinkedIn member updated their job title as a Research Assistant on the ICF page on the same day that I had interviewed. There had only been one RA position open for the last few months. My best guess is that they hired another candidate that day on the spot. Not only did they fail to notify that the job was filled, they lied to me when I asked about it.

I understand not being selected for the position, it happens. What I don't appreciate, however, was how the company chose to handle the post interview process.

I hope that anybody interviewing for the company has a better experience than I did.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were standard questions found on "job interview help" websites.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ICF International.

Got contacted by a recruiter from ICF and was told to set up a time for a phone interview. After I set up a time it took 3 months before the actually phone interview was conducted. THe interview itself was generally easy and positive. After the interview, I was told that someone would contact me in a few days to see if I made it to the next round. I went weeks without hearing back from them.

Interview Questions
    • What books have you read in the last 3 months that have had a lasting impact on your life?   Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ICF International in June 2012.

The interview process was pretty easy. The first telephonic interview consisted of many situation based questions. Then, after a week was called for face to face with three different people. Was asked a lot of different situation based questions again. You just need to be confident in what you are speaking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a situation where you had conflicting situation and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to join ICF International?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself after 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Will you be comfortable working on different technologies?   Answer Question

They offered me and I had my travel plans which I told the recruiter on getting the offer. The recruiter told me that there shouldn't be any problems with the travel and asked me to send the itinerary dates. I sent them and after a few hours, I got a call from the recruiter saying that they are revoking the offer. I told them that I could reschedule which I told earlier as well but without any negotiation, they just revoked and never gave back the response to my emails.They were very unprofessional in the end and it was very disappointing.