ICF International Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.3

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

I was referred directly to the hiring manager for a specific position from an employee on a different team. HR was disorganized and more difficult to deal with than average, but still friendly and professional. At times I wondered if this was intentional/part of the interview. The interview was a full day, with 1 person from HR and 5 people on the team I was interviewing with. The interview included a lunch meeting and a meeting with HR. All the team members seemed engaged and interested in the interview, but each 20 minute interview ended 5-10 minutes early because the team members were so busy.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was mostly behavioral. The only technical questions I was asked were very specifically related to past experience on my resume. I believe one person looked up a technical report that I had published through my last job, where I was part of a team. I was asked how some of the information was calculated in that report and to describe exactly what technical components I contributed.   View Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International.

Very slow and disorganized process. Expect a phone interview with several people, then repeat in person. Having an inside person is the only way to get hired unless you are entry level.

Interview Questions
    • None. Very standard questions. Interviewers will go off script if you lead the conversation.   Answer Question
    HR recruiters lied about bonuses and benefits. Do not believe them. There was no flexibility to negotiate on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at ICF International in April 2013.

Employee referral, which a couple weeks later got me a phone interview. A week later I was asked to come down for an in person interview, which consisted of four 30-minute one-on-one interviews and a 1.5 hour lunch. Questions were largely about my experience, why I wanted to work at ICF, what my career goals are. A few behavioral "explain a time when you learned ____" were thrown in the mix. Overall, it was conversational and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    Little wiggle room on salary. Not sure how it was for others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in February 2013.

I applied online on the same day that they listed the job ad. 3 days later, I received a phone call from an HR rep asking for a brief phone interview with her. 2 days later, we had our 30 minute phone interview, where she mostly asked for clarification on previous positions and describing the general responsibilities of the position. 2 days later I was asked to arrange in person interviews, which were planned for the following week (6 days later).

I had 7 in-person interviews, and they went well (and surprisingly fast). Each was 30 minutes long; first I met with the same HR rep from the phone interview, then I had two interviews with project management (one of which was the hiring manager), followed by an interview with two employees on the analyst level, senior management, project lead, and then finishing with the HR rep.

With my interviews the questions involved asking about my previous experience, and asking how I would feel about performing certain tasks. There were little technical questions asked. I honestly enjoyed the interview experience, since I came into the interviews with little understanding of the projects assigned to the team.

I was told that I would hear a progress report the following week (telling me if they had made a decision, or if they were still interviewing candidates). Before that date I received a phone call from the HR rep telling me that the team decided to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you were overwhelmed with work, how would you address it? Who would you talk to about it?   Answer Question
    I listed my desired salary rate a bit higher than the rates of other RA jobs locally; they offered a bit more (but still mid-range according to Glassdoor). I was happy with the offer, but had no room to negotiate benefits/salary when I received the job offer.

Energy Efficiency Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in November 2012.

Applied through the ICF website, contacted in about a week or two. Interview was at the office (no phone interview) and was 4 hours with 5 different people. Mostly personality type questions and them telling you about the position. There were no technical questions during my interview. It's been about 2 weeks and I have not heard anything back just yet.

Interview Questions
    • Once again, all personality questions so for example, "Tell me about a time where you had to deal with an obstacle."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at ICF International in February 2012.

I submitted my resume online through a DC career website. The position required a lot of quantitative analysis so the questions revolved around my quantitative abilities. I enjoyed talking to my interviewer.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ICF International in May 2011.

First I had a phone interview, once that was completed I came in for 3 in person interviews. There was a writing test and excel test.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the most difficult or unexpected question. I do remember being exhausted by the end of the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ICF International in February 2011.

I applied to this job via my university and interviewed at a conference center in Arlington with about 25 other applicants. The interview was straight-forward, 1st rounder type questions (basically a phone interview, in person). Post interview process was disorganized, however. Everyone who interviewed for the position that day received a mass email about 3 weeks later, thanking us for our time and stating that they did not yet know what their specific hiring needs were. I never heard anything else. I found the post interview process to be rather disrespectful, consistent with other reviews of the company I've read on Glass Door.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ICF International in September 2010.

The day of the actual in-person interview consisted of a half day long process - "round-robin" style. The team had divided up into 1 or 2 person slots to interview me.

Interview Questions
    • What characteristics do you find most annoying in a supervisor?/what types of qualities do you like in a supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ICF International in February 2010.

I was preselected to interview one-on-one with ICF. We discussed my background, interest in consulting, and fit with ICF in particular. If selected for a second round interview, I will travel to DC to do so in person.

Interview Questions

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!