IDEO Design Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

3.2

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IDEO in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and recruiter emailed me. Then a recruiter followed up with an email for phone interview. (Phone Interview - In person Interview process) It took 3weeks. It was very friendly. But after a few week, I got a rejection email from a recruiter.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IDEO

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

The people of IDEO are generally very kind. They ask interesting questions and are very selective. So much so that if you leave a bad impression with one of the interviewer, that will kill it (which was my case). Be prepared. Know IDEO's culture. Read the books. Make "thinking out of the box" second mature.

Interview Questions

• How do you price a product when it is an entirely new invention?   1 Answer
    • What is the most motivating speech you have heard and why?   1 Answer

Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview process on telephone will be the first indicator if your character fits. There might be a lot of calls and the people interviewing you are very likely to be the people you will working with, so see it both ways.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in December 2010.

Interview

Nette Umgebung. Ich hatte viele Einzelgespräche mit verschiedenen Leuten. Manche waren interessant, viele schienen, als wären sie irgendwie bedroht. Ich wurde von Freunden empfohlen, daher bewarb ich mich über die Webseite. Am Ende fragten sie, ob ich sofort für ein Projekt als freie Mitarbeiter verfügbar sei.

Nice environment. I had a lot of separate conversations with different people. Some were interesting, others seemed like they were threatened somehow. I was referred by friends so I did not apply through the website. In the end they asked if I was available to freelance on a project right away.

Interview Questions

• Es gab nicht wirklich, die hart waren. Ich hatte das Gefühl, das sie auf ein Gespräch mit mir nicht vorbereitet waren. Daher sprachen wir viel über Philosophie, Geschichte und verschiedene Erfahrungen. Am Ende hatten wir über viel geredet.   There were not really any that were that hard. I had the feeling that they were not really prepared to interview me. So we talked a lot about philosophy, history and different experiences. We covered a lot of ground in the end.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ich habe zunächst freiberuflich gearbeitet. Es lief ganz gut. Sie boten mir eine Vollzeitstelle, weil ich freiberuflich viel mehr machte. Ich nahm es an, weil es eine gute Firma war.

I did freelance first. It went well. They offered me a fulltime job because I was making much more freelance. I took it because it was a good company.