IDEO

Relevance Date Difficulty

Interaction Design Interview

Interaction Design
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IDEO in October 2013.

Interview Details – I had a video cam screener and an in-person interview. The process spanned about a month. Everyone I talked with was polite, organized and professional. The first interview was mostly general questions. The second was more detailed and centered around a portfolio review. Since they appear to favor advance degrees there wasn't the interest in education that I would have expected. Not much info on why I didn't receive an offer. I'm assuming two things: 1) they are probably looking for some kind of Fortune 100 experience. They work with big clients and need to see an proven ability to think on that level, and 2) because the internal structure is flat-ish I'm guessing if one interviewee vetoes then you're out. I have nothing to validate these two assumptions other than intuition. I recommend you do all the things you should to prepare. But it's difficult to gauge during the interview where the bar is set.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on (insert latest interaction trend here)?   Answer Question

Lead Interaction Designer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at IDEO in April 2013.

Interview Details – I spoke with 2 HR people two separate times, then spoke with a designer and then spoke with two directors designers. The process was very casual. I had to go through a couple of projects- show process, results, and next stages. The interviews were very spaced out. It was very difficult to tell what they were thinking. Everything seemed to go well but in the end didn't land the job. Got a nice letter telling me to apply in the future 6 months to year.

Interview Question – Describe your research methods.   View Answer

Interaction Design Lead Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IDEO in June 2013.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with HR, then a Google Hangout interview that went well and lasted about 1.5 hours. Shortly after, I was notified they wanted to fly me out for in-person interviews. This lasted about half a day, and ranged from discussions with senior management to an ideation session with a team of designers. I was told a decision would be made hopefully within a week. Within a couple days, HR told me that my interviews "went really well". Over 2 months went by. Eventually I received a very nice letter stating they weren't going to move forward with my application, that the applications had been extremely competitive with many qualified candidates and the selection had been difficult. Two weeks later I saw the posting listed again on a job board.

Interview Question – The ideation session was probably the most difficult part of the interviews, only because you are working with a team of people, none of whom you know. But it was not a problem.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interaction Designer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IDEO in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by an an employee and contacted by HR after some people at the company had taken a look at my online portfolio. There was a video interview with three people about a week later. It took about 45 minutes and the goal was to see whether there was a favorable interaction and mutual interest about working together. Later I had a series of on-site interviews. They ranged from technical questions (what tools do you use, how to you approach a problem) to design-oriented (what inspires you, show and explain examples of good design) and always included a portfolio presentation. Questions were quite benign and I think the main goal was to find out whether you have an opinion on things, and how you eloquently you can discuss it. There was also an actual brainstorm session with potential team members, obviously to find out whether you'd fit in the team. Overall I found the interview with management members the hardest, as they were clearly prepared to scrutinize applicants and find out about their motivations. I had a pretty good feeling after the interviews, but did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – Define good leadership.   View Answer

Industrial Designer Interview

Industrial Designer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IDEO.

Interview Details – total 3 interviews with different group of people in similar discipline, one with director level, 2-3 people at the time, very casual. 3 months total to complete process

Interview Question – overall very casual conversational interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Interviewed at IDEO

Interview Details – I was interviewed first by someone in HR. I then had an interview with the mechanical engineering team. The whole process was pretty short. They contacted me a few days after I submitted my application.

Interview Question – Tell us about your engineering passion. What do you do in your free time.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IDEO in September 2010.

Interview Details – Overall positive experience. A couple of questions stumped me, which in hindsight, was a good indication that the job was not the best fit. Everyone was very nice, smart , and passionate, so I'm sure it's a fantastic place to work.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you went above and beyond   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Designer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IDEO in October 2010.

Interview Details – The people of IDEO are generally very kind. They ask interesting questions and are very selective. So much so that if you leave a bad impression with one of the interviewer, that will kill it (which was my case). Be prepared. Know IDEO's culture. Read the books. Make "thinking out of the box" second mature.

Interview Questions

• How do you price a product when it is an entirely new invention?   View Answer
  • What is the most motivating speech you have heard and why?   View Answer

Human Factors Specialist Interview

Human Factors Specialist
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IDEO in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by IDEO NY for the human factors position, after getting an employee working in their Palo Alto to refer me. I was interviewed by two members from their team - a designer, and a project manager type. They were good looking and well dressed. I didn't end up getting the job, but I feel like they were open and honest through the process.

Interview Question – What's a brand that you love, and why?   Answer Question

Design Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IDEO in December 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process on telephone will be the first indicator if your character fits. There might be a lot of calls and the people interviewing you are very likely to be the people you will working with, so see it both ways.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for IDEO? Contribute to the Community!

IDEO – Why Work for Us?

We strive to be an extraordinary and sustainable workplace for world-class professionals. We’ve applied the human-centered design process to our own organizational structure and processes, and we continually fine-tune… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEO interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by IDEO employees and interview candidates.