IDEO Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

3.3

Senior Leadership Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IDEO (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with 4 different people- mostly good conversation. One manager was a little on the aggressive side asking the tougher questions. They want you to to go into detail about everything you say and they ask for examples too.

Interview Questions

• How is this position a stepping stone for you/how does it fit into your larger picture of life goals?   Answer Question
    • What is your vision for this role?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about a work life balance? We send emails in the middle of the night and on weekends, that's ok with you, right?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IDEO in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and recruiter emailed me. Then a recruiter followed up with an email for phone interview.

(Phone Interview - In person Interview process)
    It took 3weeks.
    It was very friendly. But after a few week, I got a rejection email from a recruiter.

Business Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IDEO.

Interview

Phone interview with another Business Designer for 30 minutes. Pretty straightforward Q&A with limited outside dialogue. Did not get any word in response post the call until 2 months later or more only after I had followed up multiple times.

Interview Questions

• A company wants their main product to be more innovative, how would you figure out a solution, who would you talk to, and what are some proposed solutions?   Answer Question
    • What business models do you follow?   Answer Question

OpenIDEO Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was told right before Xmas that I was one of the candidates and should go on OpenIDEO to participate so they could evaluate us better about whether we are a good fit. Then I did, despite the fact that it was Xmas. After three weeks, after our intense contribution on OI, we finally got the phone interview. Yet not a single word for the coming over three weeks, before they told me that I was not considered. Why would it take them so long to get back to us? Well lots of companies do not bother to, yet considering IDEO is a HUMAN-CENTERED company, and we were contributing very actively online, I felt I at least I deserved a timely reply. OpenIDEO for sure is doing good things, yet its recruitment should be consistent with its philosophy for the website.

Storyteller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IDEO.

Interview

It is very intensive, expect to meet lots of people. Some of whom you will work with, others not. They are looking for a cultural fit. Expect a creative task of some sort as part of the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too hard. But very direct: What are you like to sit next to? What are you really like to work with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little negotiation (re: salary), but a very nice group of people.

Talent Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IDEO.

Interview

The recruiter was very pleasant and timely in her responses. They provided specific instructions in preparation for the interview including who I would be meeting with and what to bring. I was given a task to teach the interviewers something that would give them insight into who I was. I believe I got my foot in the door as a result of my cover letter. Tailor the cover letter not only to job description, but make it personal. They really want to grasp who you are and how that will fit into their organization. The company FAQ page on hiring was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• They asked both personal and professional questions. They asked how I would handle working with someone who was in a slump in their career and were considering other options. Most of the questions were in context with the job description.   Answer Question

Principal Interaction Designer Interview

Interview

The interview process is not a fast one, but it still went quicker than I expected. A couple of phone interviews, followed by being flown out for a full day of interviews in person across both the Palo Alto and San Francisco offices as their driver shares stories about company employees over the years. Everyone was very friendly and direct. Make sure you emphasize collaboration and confidence.

Interview Questions

• How much of this project was your work?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IDEO.

Interview

Very efficient with responses, scheduling and overall management of interview process. Culture feels trendy, and laid back, but very unique. I was told not to worry about dressing up and to be myself. Importance was fit with culture and life outside work. No attention given to graduate degrees.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do if you are running late to a meeting and you are asked to tend to one of your coachees due to an emergency?"   1 Answer

Interaction Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IDEO (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I had a video cam screener and an in-person interview. The process spanned about a month. Everyone I talked with was polite, organized and professional. The first interview was mostly general questions. The second was more detailed and centered around a portfolio review. Since they appear to favor advance degrees there wasn't the interest in education that I would have expected. Not much info on why I didn't receive an offer. I'm assuming two things: 1) they are probably looking for some kind of Fortune 100 experience. They work with big clients and need to see an proven ability to think on that level, and 2) because the internal structure is flat-ish I'm guessing if one interviewee vetoes then you're out. I have nothing to validate these two assumptions other than intuition. I recommend you do all the things you should to prepare. But it's difficult to gauge during the interview where the bar is set.

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion on (insert latest interaction trend here)?   Answer Question

Industrial Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

total 3 interviews with different group of people in similar discipline, one with director level, 2-3 people at the time, very casual. 3 months total to complete process

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation