IDEO

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.3

Storyteller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IDEO.

It is very intensive, expect to meet lots of people. Some of whom you will work with, others not. They are looking for a cultural fit. Expect a creative task of some sort as part of the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard. But very direct: What are you like to sit next to? What are you really like to work with?   Answer Question
    Little negotiation (re: salary), but a very nice group of people.

Talent Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IDEO.

The recruiter was very pleasant and timely in her responses. They provided specific instructions in preparation for the interview including who I would be meeting with and what to bring. I was given a task to teach the interviewers something that would give them insight into who I was. I believe I got my foot in the door as a result of my cover letter. Tailor the cover letter not only to job description, but make it personal. They really want to grasp who you are and how that will fit into their organization. The company FAQ page on hiring was very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • They asked both personal and professional questions. They asked how I would handle working with someone who was in a slump in their career and were considering other options. Most of the questions were in context with the job description.   Answer Question

Principal Interaction Designer Interview

The interview process is not a fast one, but it still went quicker than I expected. A couple of phone interviews, followed by being flown out for a full day of interviews in person across both the Palo Alto and San Francisco offices as their driver shares stories about company employees over the years. Everyone was very friendly and direct. Make sure you emphasize collaboration and confidence.

Interview Questions
    • How much of this project was your work?   View Answer

Experience, Learning and Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IDEO.

Very efficient with responses, scheduling and overall management of interview process. Culture feels trendy, and laid back, but very unique. I was told not to worry about dressing up and to be myself. Importance was fit with culture and life outside work. No attention given to graduate degrees.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do if you are running late to a meeting and you are asked to tend to one of your coachees due to an emergency?"   View Answer

Interaction Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IDEO in October 2013.

I had a video cam screener and an in-person interview. The process spanned about a month. Everyone I talked with was polite, organized and professional. The first interview was mostly general questions. The second was more detailed and centered around a portfolio review. Since they appear to favor advance degrees there wasn't the interest in education that I would have expected. Not much info on why I didn't receive an offer. I'm assuming two things: 1) they are probably looking for some kind of Fortune 100 experience. They work with big clients and need to see an proven ability to think on that level, and 2) because the internal structure is flat-ish I'm guessing if one interviewee vetoes then you're out. I have nothing to validate these two assumptions other than intuition. I recommend you do all the things you should to prepare. But it's difficult to gauge during the interview where the bar is set.

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on (insert latest interaction trend here)?   Answer Question

Industrial Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO.

total 3 interviews with different group of people in similar discipline, one with director level, 2-3 people at the time, very casual. 3 months total to complete process

no negotiation

Interaction Design Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO in June 2013.

I had an initial phone interview with HR, then a Google Hangout interview that went well and lasted about 1.5 hours. Shortly after, I was notified they wanted to fly me out for in-person interviews. This lasted about half a day, and ranged from discussions with senior management to an ideation session with a team of designers. I was told a decision would be made hopefully within a week. Within a couple days, HR told me that my interviews "went really well". Over 2 months went by. Eventually I received a very nice letter stating they weren't going to move forward with my application, that the applications had been extremely competitive with many qualified candidates and the selection had been difficult. Two weeks later I saw the posting listed again on a job board.

Interview Questions
    • The ideation session was probably the most difficult part of the interviews, only because you are working with a team of people, none of whom you know. But it was not a problem.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IDEO in June 2013.

I was referred by an an employee and contacted by HR after some people at the company had taken a look at my online portfolio. There was a video interview with three people about a week later. It took about 45 minutes and the goal was to see whether there was a favorable interaction and mutual interest about working together. Later I had a series of on-site interviews. They ranged from technical questions (what tools do you use, how to you approach a problem) to design-oriented (what inspires you, show and explain examples of good design) and always included a portfolio presentation. Questions were quite benign and I think the main goal was to find out whether you have an opinion on things, and how you eloquently you can discuss it. There was also an actual brainstorm session with potential team members, obviously to find out whether you'd fit in the team. Overall I found the interview with management members the hardest, as they were clearly prepared to scrutinize applicants and find out about their motivations. I had a pretty good feeling after the interviews, but did not receive an offer.

Lead Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at IDEO in April 2013.

I spoke with 2 HR people two separate times, then spoke with a designer and then spoke with two directors designers. The process was very casual. I had to go through a couple of projects- show process, results, and next stages. The interviews were very spaced out. It was very difficult to tell what they were thinking. Everything seemed to go well but in the end didn't land the job. Got a nice letter telling me to apply in the future 6 months to year.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

I was interviewed first by someone in HR. I then had an interview with the mechanical engineering team. The whole process was pretty short. They contacted me a few days after I submitted my application.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your engineering passion. What do you do in your free time.   Answer Question