IFC Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.3

Operations Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IFC.

Interview

Lengthy process. Had to go through a) a written exam, b) 10 rounds of interviews, spread over 15-20 days and c) a background check which took two months. But most of the time, interviewers asked just the same standard questions in every interview. However, there were no stress questions. A few of the interviews were telephonic (as the interviewers can be calling from other countries) so it can be a little uncomfortable if one is not used to it, specially with understanding the accents.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are standard, mostly about previous work related. They are mostly looking for cultural fit in the interview process (as they already shortlist candidates with great academic and professional background).   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IFC (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

It was an elaborate process. I applied for the post and heard from them almost a month later. I was Interviewed by 3 people. I was asked about 15 questions and the interview went on for 40 minutes or so.

Head of Gender Secretariat Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview was rather informal and done at the end of the workday . I was under the impression that it would be followed by a second more formal interview.

Short-term Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IFC in May 2013.

Interview

Interview process wasn't too rigorous or difficult, just 2 rounds with the staff on the team. It was mostly behavioral questions such as why are you interested in this job and talking about your past experiences. Nothing too technical. But do review the department you're applying for and familiarize yourself with the terms and acronyms.

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IFC in February 2013.

Interview

Got the interview through applying on linkedin. Two rounds of phone interview. Never was actually corresponded if they selected or rejected me. Interview happened in February and it is June so I assume they went with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Valuation of Private companies including CAPM   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

9 interviews for the job + a financial/accounting/project management test. The whole process took 6 months. Very fast compared to the usual 9 months to a year for other recruitments.

Interview Questions

• Case study on financial cash flow.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Once the offer is made, there is little room for adjustment. It was a "take it or leave it" type of interaction.

Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in August 2012.

Interview

Not too complicated, but I was already a consultant at the time of applying for a full-time staff position and knew most of the interviewers. 5 interviews total, of which 2 were supposed to be a joint interview which became independent interviews. The interviews in itself were not difficult; the final interview was with the Country Manager who mostly asked questions about personal life rather than anything technical nor job related. (ie: comfort of moving to a country office, experience in developing countries, etc.)

Investment Officer - GTT Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

1st round: professional experience and different questions about how my experience fit with their requirements for the position. They are looking for people with in-depth finance experience, especially in investment analysis. Then they asked me a hypothetical foreign investment case to analyze. They wanted to know what would the risks and mitigation strategies be and which would be the best investment structure. The second round interview was a day-long series of interviews. It started with a group case analysis. They sent the case about a week before. Following, there were two individual interviews with IFC's Senior Investment Officers, and another one with a 3 people senior-level executive panel which were very similar to the first round ones, going over my experience, brief case analysis, and different type of questions.

Interview Questions

• Which would be the best investment structure for the IFC to invest in a hypothetical foreign project: debt or equity.   3 Answers

Principal Investment Officer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at IFC in May 2010.

Interview

I interviewed with 8 - 9 people for 30 minutes each. The credit officer was quite capable and thorough. However, several individuals appeared to not have read my CV, seemingly deferring to the decision others recommended. I was hired within a few months although the typical timeline exceeds a year.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions about my ethnic origin and that of my spouse.   Answer Question

Senior Investment Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in November 2009.

Interview

multiple panel interviews, security clearence

Interview Questions

• how will you approach clients from different cultures / countries to win their business?   Answer Question

Negotiation

very little opportunity to negotiate