IG Group

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anonymous Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at IG Group.

Interview Details – First part of hiring process is conducted by a third party HR company. They provide online tests (simple numeracy and literacy tests). If you pass, you will be interviewed via telephone. This interview will be roughly 15 minutes and consist of competency questions, such as 'Give us a time you worked with somebody difficult', as well as objective questions: 'what level is the FTSE currently at?'. Once this is passed, you will be invited to the London office to sit further exams in person. Final stage is the most difficult. Three interviews: easy HR interview with classic competency questions, technical interview with questions centring around main accounting principles and slightly challenging maths questions, and an interview with two senior managers who will go over your CV. Overall a very pleasant hiring process but still extremely challenging to succeed as there are over 300 applicants for two positions.

Interview Questions

New Business Development Interview

New Business Development
Melbourne (Australia)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IG Group in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very quick and thorough process from point of contact to interview. The interview itself was relaxed and informal but quite thorough with many "how would you handle a scenario such as this?" style questions. Whilst I didn't have a telephone interview first by HR I was told that it was usually required. The interview went for one hour and I was informed that it would be the only one. I am not sure if psychometrics would have been requested if I had gotten through.

Interview Question – How would you deal with leading staff who had applied for the role, as well as who were already fulfilling the role?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at IG Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – Written TEST,
technical rounds

Interview Question – Nothing and everything is straight forward   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – no growth in the company and I heard that HOD will support only one Tech Lead.

Sales Executive Graduate Trading Interview

Sales Executive Graduate Trading
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IG Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted CV online got a email and scheduled a call from manager.
Breif question about your past? why IG group?
Diff between spread betting and normal trading ?
Diff between CFD and normal trading?

Interview Question – what is FTSE 100 trading at the moment?   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IG Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview consisted in a Java written test with several theoretical questions, plus some general CS questions and the occasional concurrency ones.
Test will be corrected right away and, if everything is ok, you will proceed with several face2face interviews with potential team members.
This phase can go on 60-90 mins and if you pass it, that's it for the the day.
Next interview is a Design exercise, fairly generic, to understand how the candidate thinks and tackles problems.
Finally, if everything goes well, a final interview with a Technical Manager and an HR Manager is set up, which will focus mainly on team fit and behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Will this program run? If not, why? And how can you fix it?
(the test was to debug a concurrent application that would generate a deadlock)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Like always, they will try to get away offering the least amount possible, disregarding what the job spec requires.
Do your homework, come up with the right number for the job you're applying for, and go for it.

Java Developer
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IG Group in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very light conversion about previous experience. A basic explanation about the company, the environment, and about the specific work.

Interview Question – Give an OOD to a fidelity bonus system.   Answer Question

Senior Developer - Financial Tools Interview

Senior Developer - Financial Tools
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at IG Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was told by the recruitment firm that there would be a first round consisting of CV walkthrough followed by a C++/logical test and if successful another round which would be more non-technical and HR-kind. My first round though was just the test without and CV or any other stuff whatsoever. The test itself was of 2 parts: part 1 had 30 C++ questions (not multiple choice, written answers) and one question with a small string handling class asking you to spot the defects and design issues. In the written test they mention they are not looking for composition skills, however, for many questions you would indeed have to write compositions. You are given an hour to complete the test in solitude and then they go over each and every one of them asking questions/making corrections. I didn't clear this round. I thougt I did quite well as I had answered most questions (I ran out of time and had to leave out a couple of them). I only had 2 mins for the second part and did identify quite a few problems. I was ofcourse not 100% on my explanations for some questions but thought I did put forward a good overall knowledge and exposure. Some of the questions the interviewers were not sure themselves of the answer and were discussing amongst each other (2 interviewers were there) and joking about not being sure of them. I came out with not too bad on confidence level and was looking forward to be called for further process, but got a call from recruitment agent on the way back home that they were not willing to go forward and as is usually the case, the feedback was very abstract.
I was left wondering why were they dragging the interview for more than a couple of hours, going well past the lunch time if they were not very happy .

Interview Question – Write a code that will work differently on a 32-bit and a 64-bit compiler.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IG Group in April 2009.

Interview Details – Poor feedback

Interview Question – How to swap two values without a temp   View Answer

Graduate Salesforce Developer Interview

Graduate Salesforce Developer
City of London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IG Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial round was Technical round.It consist of written test containing questions about Object oriented programming,databases,Cloud Computing.The questions were very easy.I cleared that round.
The next round was HR round which was held one week after the technical round .2 people take my interview separately.They asked general HR Questions.
I cleared that round.But later on they told me that they wanted Graduate with an experience in Salesforce.
So i was not able to make it.

Interview Question – What is the difference between == and equals() in Java?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at IG Group in August 2010.

Interview Details – Deep core java

Interview Questions

Worked for IG Group? Contribute to the Community!