IG Group

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.1

Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IG Group.

Online Application. Invited to take tests at their site. Numerical test, Verbal test, Critical Reasoning, Write a letter answering a compaint, quick maths test. once this happened you are invited to the group assessment "if you had a million dollars what would you do with it". quick tour of the place (nice place).

Developer Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter about this position and an interview was quickly setup. At first there was a written test, and after going through my answers with the interviewers, there were more technical questions. After passing this round, another day of interviews was arranged. This consisted of technical interviews and an HR interview. Very friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Three adjectives your friends would use to describe you   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at IG Group in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruitment agency about the role, and although I was initially hesitant to be put forward, was eventually convinced to proceed by the recruiter.

The initial interview was done by phone with the hiring manager, and was the usual walkthough of the experience on my resume and was friendly enough.

A couple of days later I was called for an in-person interview, firstly with a timed intellegence test taken in isloation, followed by a "soft" HR interview about career goals and aspirations. After that I was interviewed by the hiring manager with whom I did the phone interview, and another manager.

This was the unusual part of the interview, as the hiring manager seemed to be looking for a personal friend rather than for someone who could do the job. The other manager was the opposite, and felt the need to throw around IT project buzzwords to see if I knew what they were. During the interview another senior collegaue was inivited into the room to introduce himself - and then promptly left.

After completing that interview, none the wiser as to how it actually went, I received a call from the recruiter saying the hiring manager wanted to meet me in a less formal setting as a appeared too "serious" in the interview.

I attended this informal meeting and was told about what a fantastic place IG was to work and how much everyone drank and that socialising was essential to the role.

This left me puzzed as to their intentions, but the recruiter asked me to provide my references and assured me they would not be passed to IG. He said it was effectively an offer, subject to reference checks, and no one from IG would be contacting my referees directly.

After waiting a week without any communication from the recruiter or IG, despite continual chasing, I was eventually told they'd hired someone else, and found out that my referee details had been passed to IG and the hiring manager had spoken to the names provided.

Interview Questions
    • How would your friends describe you? If you're the best performer on your team in your current role, why are you leaving?   View Answer

New Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IG Group in January 2014.

Very quick and thorough process from point of contact to interview. The interview itself was relaxed and informal but quite thorough with many "how would you handle a scenario such as this?" style questions. Whilst I didn't have a telephone interview first by HR I was told that it was usually required. The interview went for one hour and I was informed that it would be the only one. I am not sure if psychometrics would have been requested if I had gotten through.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with leading staff who had applied for the role, as well as who were already fulfilling the role?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Graduate Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IG Group in October 2013.

Submitted CV online got a email and scheduled a call from manager.
    Breif question about your past? why IG group?
    Diff between spread betting and normal trading ?
    Diff between CFD and normal trading?

Interview Questions
    • what is FTSE 100 trading at the moment?   View Answer

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at IG Group in May 2013.

Written TEST,
    technical rounds

Interview Questions

no growth in the company and I heard that HOD will support only one Tech Lead.

Senior Developer - Financial Tools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at IG Group in October 2012.

I was told by the recruitment firm that there would be a first round consisting of CV walkthrough followed by a C++/logical test and if successful another round which would be more non-technical and HR-kind. My first round though was just the test without and CV or any other stuff whatsoever. The test itself was of 2 parts: part 1 had 30 C++ questions (not multiple choice, written answers) and one question with a small string handling class asking you to spot the defects and design issues. In the written test they mention they are not looking for composition skills, however, for many questions you would indeed have to write compositions. You are given an hour to complete the test in solitude and then they go over each and every one of them asking questions/making corrections. I didn't clear this round. I thougt I did quite well as I had answered most questions (I ran out of time and had to leave out a couple of them). I only had 2 mins for the second part and did identify quite a few problems. I was ofcourse not 100% on my explanations for some questions but thought I did put forward a good overall knowledge and exposure. Some of the questions the interviewers were not sure themselves of the answer and were discussing amongst each other (2 interviewers were there) and joking about not being sure of them. I came out with not too bad on confidence level and was looking forward to be called for further process, but got a call from recruitment agent on the way back home that they were not willing to go forward and as is usually the case, the feedback was very abstract.
    I was left wondering why were they dragging the interview for more than a couple of hours, going well past the lunch time if they were not very happy .

Interview Questions
    • Write a code that will work differently on a 32-bit and a 64-bit compiler.   View Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at IG Group in March 2012.

The first interview consisted in a Java written test with several theoretical questions, plus some general CS questions and the occasional concurrency ones.
    Test will be corrected right away and, if everything is ok, you will proceed with several face2face interviews with potential team members.
    This phase can go on 60-90 mins and if you pass it, that's it for the the day.
    Next interview is a Design exercise, fairly generic, to understand how the candidate thinks and tackles problems.
    Finally, if everything goes well, a final interview with a Technical Manager and an HR Manager is set up, which will focus mainly on team fit and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Will this program run? If not, why? And how can you fix it?
      (the test was to debug a concurrent application that would generate a deadlock)

Answer Question
    Like always, they will try to get away offering the least amount possible, disregarding what the job spec requires.
    Do your homework, come up with the right number for the job you're applying for, and go for it.

Graduate Salesforce Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IG Group in December 2010.

Initial round was Technical round.It consist of written test containing questions about Object oriented programming,databases,Cloud Computing.The questions were very easy.I cleared that round.
    The next round was HR round which was held one week after the technical round .2 people take my interview separately.They asked general HR Questions.
    I cleared that round.But later on they told me that they wanted Graduate with an experience in Salesforce.
    So i was not able to make it.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between == and equals() in Java?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at IG Group in August 2010.

Deep core java