IGN Entertainment

IGN Entertainment Interview Questions

2.5

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in March 2013.

Initial communication was from a recruiter. Usual recruiter fluff, quickly passed on the CTO. No difficult or tech depth questions were asked. This lead to an on site.

On site involved meeting two relatively jr engineers for more of a architectural decision process. No white boarding was required. The interviewers were polite and didn't try to up the stress level in the interview just to make me sweat.

The second was with the new Director or some such of engineering. It because quickly obvious that the positon he was trying to fill was not the one I thought I was applying for. The were looking for a more "corporate" Lead, one thats responsible for suggestions of software to buy. I'm an OpenSource guy and this was the end of the interview process.

Shown the door. My feelings are no foul no harm. Wrong person for the job the wanted which is a Tech Lead a la say Wells Fargo would have.

Interview Questions
    • Whats the best way to securely store a password entered in a web form.   View Answer

Product Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in November 2011.

1st interview: Good non HR type interview with the recruiting team who knew the team goals and asked more strategic questions that I expected. They asked questions like "describe a consumer product you like and why it's a leader in the market" which were surprising but a good sign.

2nd interview: I was asked to come in for in person interviews and the follow through from the recruiting team was good in terms of schedules, who I was meeting, etc. I met with engineering, product and the founder who runs several groups. Most of the questions were straightforward but really repetitive. One of the interviewers was clearly sharp but not sure I got along that well with him because my product vision is different than his. I did some homework on IGN and shared with the group that I was pretty excited about some of the changes IGN has made on the site However, from a UE standpoint it's still too cluttered.

2 days later, got a call from the recruiting team telling me that I wasn't a strong match. As bummed as I was, it's good they called to share and they were up front on why. Can't say that I felt the Product team had solid leadership although everyone was smart.

Work culture and office vibe seemed very casual and cool, parts of the office were really really quiet, didn't seem to be too many shared big spaces.

Software Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in September 2011.

Contacted directly, after a phone screen was called in to interview with 7 people in 1/2 hour stretches.
    Was told before hand that:

- "everyone is excited to be meeting me"
    - "we don't usually call someone in just after a phone screen, but..."

and other psyche boosters.

First three interviewers had never seen my resume.

the 3rd interviewer was interrupted at the end of their interview time by internal HR recruiter, who said:

"there's been an emergency all hands meeting by engineering and we need to stop the interview at this point. I'm sorry."

and the interview ended...

#

Blatant lies and misrepresentations which I have found out post facto.
    - not one of the three read my resume to be even close to excited, less to say "everyone" was excited.
    - the single screen call + 7 people interview is a common approach by IGN and not all that special.
    - there was never any emergency and I knew this right away. This was confirmed when I called the internal recruiter the next day and called him on it. It was his way of getting someone out the door.

Beware of the lies and misrepresentation if you do decide to interview here. I knew right away with the first person I met with that I didn't want to work for this organization (culture and the management are just wrong). However, lying to a candidate is hurtful and disrespectful - not only to the candidate that has traveled a long way, prepped, and given up significant time; but also for the organization and the recruiter who's professional reputation is tarnished by the impropriety.

You might hate me. But just don't lie. Find another creative way to tell the truth that you don't think we'd work out. We can take it and will respect you more.

BTW: good luck trying to call anyone in the organization via the main number. The name lookup doesn't seem to work ad there is no reception to pick up your call. That should tell you something,

Interview Questions
    • in one minute or less, can you give me an 'elevator pitch' and sell me on your career to date?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in August 2011.

I have applied online for an internship position in a new program IGN started called Code Foo. The application process included the programming puzzle, couple of brainteasers and a proof that I am passionate about the company. It was an awesome experience where me and 28 other interns learned new skills and worked on real projects. After 4 weeks of the internship I was interviewed for a full-time position. The process consisted of seven one on one interviews with engineers and one non-engineer whose goal was to see if my personality fits the culture of IGN. Of course, at the beginning I was nervous, but everyone was friendly and nice, in addition, you can tell that people at IGN are passionate about what they do - just watch the video tour of the office and you will understand. On the day before last of my internship I received the offer!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in August 2011.

I applied online on a Friday and was contacted the following Monday by the HR Manager. We did a brief telephone interview that day which was fairly casual. I was asked if I was available during the week to come in for a face-to-face interview and I said 'yes.' I was told that they were going to call a few more candidates before scheduling and that they would call the candidates they liked the most. I felt very positive about my chances given her tone but days went by without a word. That Friday, I called to follow up and was told a decision hadn't been made yet. The following Monday I noticed a IGN Linked In update saying the position was filled.

Telephone interview seemed more about personality than technical skills. I know they have a huge emphasis on finding the right fit for their culture. Overall, not a painful process, but I would have appreciated a bit more transparency in the interview process.

Mobile Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in June 2011.

I applied at a meetup for a mobile engineer position.
    After a few days I got a call from the lead engineer of the team, he asked me about my side projects, some technical questions, etc ..
    The next step was an onsite interview where I talked to 5 different persons. I had one technical test on a whiteboard (how would I design a database system) and then a coding test (a todo list on iPhone).
    I got an offer a few days after.
    Then I received an email a few weeks before starting working saying that nobody knows who I am (I did 5 interviews...) and that I must come again for 5 other interviews.
    A few days after, I got an email saying that I wasn't hired anymore.

I guess these guys are not really serious, but at least I won't work for someone who don't know who I am :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in January 2010.

Applied Online through their career site. Got selected for a phone screen. Phone screen was based on Resume skillset and experience. Then got scheduled for onSite. It was a four hour interview. Tested on basic data structure and language based questions. I met with almost all the members in the group that I was interviewed for. They were amicable and discussed all the questions I had for them including their work culture and other activities they do. The final round was with the recruiter. He said he would hire as contract to hire so the candidate to be hired would be accounted for credibility in the probation period before they might be hired full time.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on multi threaded programming with respect to servlets and database access   Answer Question
    • Many questions were scenario based. One questions involved asking me to design a datastructure for an application and asked me why I would go for that particular data structure?   Answer Question
    I am in the process of discussing o=my salary.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in August 2009.

During the hiring process I worked with a recruiter who arranged for 1-1 interviews. I had 2 rounds with Sr. Marketing Managers & Directors. Everybody was very nice and personable.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in June 2009.

The recruiter made the introductions to the GM. There were interviews with the GM, VP of Sales primarily. Communication was pretty clear and so were the expectations.

Discuss your motivation to reach above and beyond your quantified objectives, so u have a larger variable compensation component. Negotiate to increase the range next year once you prove yourself.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IGN Entertainment in February 2011.

Was asked in general about my course work projects and some basic web development questions