IKEA

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.6

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA.

I applied online, and within just a few days, had a brief phone interview. The interviewer asked about my general availability. I was called in for an in-person interview with the hiring manager. The interview was casual. A conversation more than a Q&A session. By the time I got to my car, I had an email asking me to complete a background check. They checked my references, verified my recent employment as well as my schooling. I have been asked to come back for a second interview. Hopefully all will go well!

Interview Questions
    • One question was: Describe a time you went the extra mile for a customer.   Answer Question

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA.

I had one phone interview and two in person interviews. The Human Resources department was very friendly and the questions were pretty straight forward. Overall, it was a good experience.

IT Coworker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IKEA.

They have certain questions that they have to ask in the interview that are already pre worded. When I was hired there was no technical portion, but when I was interviewing candidates for my position I added a technical portion of the interview in order to select the right kind of candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge you had at work and explain how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    They let me know about normal compensation for the role, asked if I was looking at other places and if I had any offers on the table (always say yes to this). Negotiated a little more than the average that this position makes but it was still very low comparitively.

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA.

Initially I was contacted for a phone interview, they asked to me something about my curriculum and my english competences, then they sent me three tests to do online.
    After the results of the three tests they sent to me an email containing all the details for the group interview.

The group interview lasted all the day from 9 am to 5 pm.
    It was composed by 4 steps and it was a group interview.
    1. Your personal presentation: 3-4 minutes where you have to argue about yourself, your experience and you have to describe yourself as a piece of furniture.
    2. Organize a trip for somebody coming from abroad and schedule everything: the trains, meeting, activity; always considering the budget.
    3. English test: there were two texts to analyze and some question to answer, there were some words to add in some phrases and something about grammatical rules.
    (lunch offered by ikea)
    4. Interview with somebody of the human resources, they asked something more about yourself and told you immediately if you could be contacted again or not.

It was a nice experience, they were very professional. I didn't get an offer because I had not a professional experience before.

Data Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA.

The assesment centre was a comedy. It was organised for 2 totally different positions with circa 15 people. All exercises with 15 people together, it was just a fight to say a word. People selected to the next round, where skills for position will be finally measured (!), I am sorry to say but there were those with the least experience and with the worst communication skills. A feedback on the performance (?) was promised to receive in one week time at latest, 6 weeks are gone and nothing happened.
    So, is the IKEA who prefers the youngest people with no necessarily skills and experience and pay them less?

Safety & Security Co-Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

I applied online and received a phone call from an IKEA recruiter about two weeks later for a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was told that I would get a call from someone at the store within the next two weeks to schedule an in person interview. Just like the recruiter said I received a call from the Safety & Security manager at the store to schedule an interview. The first interview was with the Safety & Security manager and the person who would be training me. Both were very friendly and the interview was laid back. One week later I received a call from the HR manager to schedule a second interview which was going to be with her, which again was pretty laid back and friendly. A few days later I was offered the job and accepted. Drug test was completed at the store with HR and my manager, also filled out some paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions during the interview process, just basic situation questions that pertain to the job you are applying for. If you have experience in the job you are applying for this makes it pretty easy.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

The process was extremely slow. Communication was slow and weeks between follow up emails or calls regarding the process or next steps. Unaware if the job has been filled or not. No one has taken a moment to contact me or reply to my email to follow up on the status of the position since the interview. Communication is key in HR and even when busy, we must appropriately communicate with candidates we have held face to face interviews with.

Front Lines Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in December 2014.

I had 2 total in-person interviews, no phone interview. I was initially emailed from HR asking to reply with answers to 5 specific questions...about my salary expectations, availability, my leadership style etc. I received another email the same day to schedule an interview. I met with 2 very nice managers that asked basic interview questions, and gave me a rundown of what the job entailed. the next day I received an email to complete my background check, which I completed immediately. 3 days later I received an email with a personality assessment to complete. That same day I received a phone call to schedule a 2nd interview. This was with the HR Manager and GM, both of whom were also very nice, although they asked extensive questions. They even had me go downstairs to observe the front lines for 10 minutes then come back and give them my feedback. I was hired on the spot after the observation. Then another hour of paperwork, mouth swab for drug test, and orientation was scheduled. My final interview lasted almost 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What IKEA value represents you most and why
      What room is the favorite room in your house and why
      What is your experience working with people culturally different than you
      Tell me about a time you have to utilize performance management

Answer Question
    No negotiation, set salary.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IKEA.

Completed application on-line then received an email to schedule an interview. Took only a couple of days. I met first with HR and it was a pleasant experience. I was asked questions that were geared toward me personally and what I was looking to achieve within the company. I immediately met with the Store Manager and that interview lasted well over an hour. You sit in a comfortable room with couch and chairs so it feels informal. Questions were based on situations and how I would handle them or how I had dealt with them. When I asked what the number one concern was I was stunned to hear honestly and openly "their managers". Probing further it was revealed that about half the managers had been with the company over 10+ to 20+ years and only knew of the Ikea way. They didn't work as a team as the Store Manager would like and as I dived deeper found that there was really no set plan in place to correct the team attitude or guidance on leadership. It was mentioned several times during the interview and in the job posting about "coaching" and as I defined coaching I was finding this was not the focus of the store manager. It was talk the talk but came down to talk only and when the Store manager when questioned about his/her coaching it was evident that they themselves lacked the leadership they needed to keep their managers on one page and working together. The Store manager was more concerned about "not doing" someone's job and that coaching consisted of a conversation or two then if you don't get it, they start disciplinary actions.

Their problem is definitely the Executive Level Managers and the Sales Managers. The lack of concern over their sales associates showed in offering customer service. Their leadership is evident when I left I bought some food and a mistake was made the manager was called over not once did she acknowledge me, look at me or apologize and walked away. The sales associates were too busy talking about chicken wings at the party they just had in the break room. Clearly a store running without clear expectations or standards. Sad their upper management is not engaged with its' store managers, if so the Store Manager would recognize they needed a leader, not just a pencil pusher.

Call Center Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

They gave a lot of run around, I had 3 interviews and they tell me you won't be a match and it hurt cause I really believed the interview process was going great. I even thought that the moment I left I had it ... Smh

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to do something that you didn't agree with   Answer Question