IKEA

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.5

Department Manager (After One Year of Formation In the Store) Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA.

Initially I was contacted for a phone interview, they asked to me something about my curriculum and my english competences, then they sent me three tests to do online.
    After the results of the three tests they sent to me an email containing all the details for the group interview.

The group interview lasted all the day from 9 am to 5 pm.
    It was composed by 4 steps and it was a group interview.
    1. Your personal presentation: 3-4 minutes where you have to argue about yourself, your experience and you have to describe yourself as a piece of furniture.
    2. Organize a trip for somebody coming from abroad and schedule everything: the trains, meeting, activity; always considering the budget.
    3. English test: there were two texts to analyze and some question to answer, there were some words to add in some phrases and something about grammatical rules.
    (lunch offered by ikea)
    4. Interview with somebody of the human resources, they asked something more about yourself and told you immediately if you could be contacted again or not.

It was a nice experience, they were very professional. I didn't get an offer because I had not a professional experience before.

Data Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA.

The assesment centre was a comedy. It was organised for 2 totally different positions with circa 15 people. All exercises with 15 people together, it was just a fight to say a word. People selected to the next round, where skills for position will be finally measured (!), I am sorry to say but there were those with the least experience and with the worst communication skills. A feedback on the performance (?) was promised to receive in one week time at latest, 6 weeks are gone and nothing happened.
    So, is the IKEA who prefers the youngest people with no necessarily skills and experience and pay them less?

Front Lines Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in December 2014.

I had 2 total in-person interviews, no phone interview. I was initially emailed from HR asking to reply with answers to 5 specific questions...about my salary expectations, availability, my leadership style etc. I received another email the same day to schedule an interview. I met with 2 very nice managers that asked basic interview questions, and gave me a rundown of what the job entailed. the next day I received an email to complete my background check, which I completed immediately. 3 days later I received an email with a personality assessment to complete. That same day I received a phone call to schedule a 2nd interview. This was with the HR Manager and GM, both of whom were also very nice, although they asked extensive questions. They even had me go downstairs to observe the front lines for 10 minutes then come back and give them my feedback. I was hired on the spot after the observation. Then another hour of paperwork, mouth swab for drug test, and orientation was scheduled. My final interview lasted almost 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What IKEA value represents you most and why
      What room is the favorite room in your house and why
      What is your experience working with people culturally different than you
      Tell me about a time you have to utilize performance management

Answer Question
    No negotiation, set salary.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IKEA.

Completed application on-line then received an email to schedule an interview. Took only a couple of days. I met first with HR and it was a pleasant experience. I was asked questions that were geared toward me personally and what I was looking to achieve within the company. I immediately met with the Store Manager and that interview lasted well over an hour. You sit in a comfortable room with couch and chairs so it feels informal. Questions were based on situations and how I would handle them or how I had dealt with them. When I asked what the number one concern was I was stunned to hear honestly and openly "their managers". Probing further it was revealed that about half the managers had been with the company over 10+ to 20+ years and only knew of the Ikea way. They didn't work as a team as the Store Manager would like and as I dived deeper found that there was really no set plan in place to correct the team attitude or guidance on leadership. It was mentioned several times during the interview and in the job posting about "coaching" and as I defined coaching I was finding this was not the focus of the store manager. It was talk the talk but came down to talk only and when the Store manager when questioned about his/her coaching it was evident that they themselves lacked the leadership they needed to keep their managers on one page and working together. The Store manager was more concerned about "not doing" someone's job and that coaching consisted of a conversation or two then if you don't get it, they start disciplinary actions.

Their problem is definitely the Executive Level Managers and the Sales Managers. The lack of concern over their sales associates showed in offering customer service. Their leadership is evident when I left I bought some food and a mistake was made the manager was called over not once did she acknowledge me, look at me or apologize and walked away. The sales associates were too busy talking about chicken wings at the party they just had in the break room. Clearly a store running without clear expectations or standards. Sad their upper management is not engaged with its' store managers, if so the Store Manager would recognize they needed a leader, not just a pencil pusher.

Call Center Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

They gave a lot of run around, I had 3 interviews and they tell me you won't be a match and it hurt cause I really believed the interview process was going great. I even thought that the moment I left I had it ... Smh

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to do something that you didn't agree with   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

I applied for a full time sales position and was contacted for an interview a few weeks later. And by "contacted" I mean the manager happened to see me and wanted to do the interview right then. There was no real planning on his part.

After answering some generic questions, the interview took a sour turn. His demeanor was very pompous and arrogant. Additionally, he made snide remarks about my career aspirations and answers to his questions. I withdrew my application the same day; no job is worth that disrespect.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your career goals/do you have any other job besides working at IKEA?"

"If hired when can you begin?"

View Answer

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

The process was very long. It took about three months to complete the process. The first thing I did was fill out the application online and then I received a phone interview a couple of weeks after that. At the end of the phone interview the lady told the store would be contacting me for face to face interview in two weeks. It took them about close the three weeks to contact me for the face to face interview. The face to face interview went great. I was interview by two members of the manager team.At the interview they told me they would contact me in three weeks with a decision. This took place the week before Thanksgiving and I didn't receive a call back offering me the job until the first week of the new year.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever dealt with a difficult customer? How did you handle the customer? Did the customer leave satisfied?   Answer Question

Safety and Security Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Applied October 2014. Initial phone interview, invited for face to face late October. Interviewed with Department Manager and a member of the team. Received invitation for second face to face with the District Manager early November. After this interview, a third face to face a week later with the team that you would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions if you have Loss Prevention experience. The process with this company is lengthy; applicants are thoroughly vetted. It is worth the wait!   Answer Question
    Position was posted at a certain rate, but due to experience was given more.

Middle Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Job was posted, application was submitted within time frame allowed. Did not hear about it for 2 months, while the steering team kept complaining that nothing was getting done and that we needed someone for the position right away. Interview was a joke, the interviewers, to whom i reported for some time, did not even read my employee file beforehand, did not have a copy of my resume (which I provided several times), did not know what a 30/60/90 was and did not read a detailed 5+ page action plan on how I would improve the department.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that they ran out of questions goes to prove one thing: Either it is just a dog and pony show or they really just DGAF.   View Answer

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IKEA.

Very relaxed interviewer, gave me tips on how to be a better interview prospective (was very new.) The office area was very modern and the overall team that greeted me as I walked to the interview room were welcoming. The interviewer asked me about previous jobs and not-work related interests, and seemed interested in me as a person and not a potential wage slave.

Interview Questions
    • How to pronounce some Swedish word that I'd never seen before.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase; IKEA didn't pay cashiers well at the time and had a very high turn over.