IKEA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
West Covina, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at IKEA in June 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application in person and got a call back within a week. I only had one interview but it went well except I was found overqualified and was not hired for fear I would leave for better pay.

Interview Question – Pretty standard set of questions.   Answer Question

Cookshop Associate Interview

Cookshop Associate
Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IKEA in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received email from recruiter to conduct a telephone call interview. Set up date and time. Phone interview was about thirty minutes. Received a followup email after the phone interview for an in person interview. The in person interview consisted of filling out a physical application and attach resume. During this interview there were several phycological evaluations with hands on tools and puzzles. Finally I had to come up with a new product and sell it to them. There were about 12 candidates, the groups were separated, my group of 5 were chosen as qualified for the position. This was 4 months ago. The store opens in August. I never received a call, or email to at least inform me of the outcome or rejection. This was callous and inexcusable of the recruiter to do this after so many interactions.

Interview Question – Invent a new product that can be sold here. Make it, list it's functions, market it, give it a price and sell it.   View Answer

Interior Design Co-worker Interview

Interior Design Co-worker
Carson, NM

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted my application online and heard back from HR the next day requesting an interview, which was very conversational and lasted a couple hours. The interview concluded with a tour, the whole process lasted about a week.

Interview Question – How do you work with team members?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just a straight offer.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

Interviewed at IKEA

Interview Details – Apply on line, telephone interview, face to face interview usually with more than one person. Occasionally there's an immediate offer. Usually have to wait a bit for the offer by phone.

Interview Question – How do you handle difficult customers   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in June 2012.

Interview Details – You get one interview to know whether they want to hire you or not. Coworkers are guaranteed an interview if they had applied for a job within the company. The interview can involve one or more managers in the room with you. They will ask you pretty typical questions, like "Tell us about a time when you really bent over backwards for a customer to be satisfied." Or "Tell us about a time you managed to work through extreme stress." Because they are not very willing to train people, they are expecting you to have at least some experience in what you applied for, unless it is an entry level position. Interviews are casual dress to make you feel more comfortable. Having family working in the company gives you a size able advantage when it comes to getting a job. If you do not get the job, they will let you know in person or over the phone.

Interview Question – They will ask if you have any questions. Ask them a few safe questions, because they see that as interest and willingness.   Answer Question

Sales (Temporary) Interview

Sales (Temporary)
Woodbridge, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA in June 2014.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and was sent an e-mail immediately. A few days later I received another e-mail about a short phone interview. I called the number but didn't get the person the first few times. I eventually did get in contact with him and had the phone interview. The questions were simple: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Tell me about a time you worked in ___ situation? etc. It took maybe 10 minutes. He said that I was invited for an in-store interview a few days later. The in-store interview actually turned out to be a "hiring event" where there were others there to be interviewed as well. I was interviewed first with someone who asked a few questions while filling out a form. Then another person came in to interview me while looking at my resume. We talked and he asked me a few more questions, complimented me, and then gave me a form for how to fill out the background check. The interviewer called not even a week later asking me to come back to the store. I was offered the job, given a drug test, and fitted for a uniform.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Interview Details – About a week after applying, got an email requesting a phone interview. The questions were easy, and included ones like "When is it best to work as part of a team/individually?" and "Describe a time when you worked with someone who was culturally different than you." A few days after that, I was called in for an in-person interview. Again, easy questions like "Describe a time when you faced a problem at work."

Interview Question – All questions were standard interview questions. Nothing surprising.   Answer Question

Ikea Cashier Interview

Ikea Cashier
Hicksville, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IKEA in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online , and was called a week later. I went in for an interview with the Cash lanes manager. She asked a variety of questions from "why would I want to work at Ikea" to "What I was studying in school". I was called about a week later and offered the position and had to take a drug test. Passed and was at work by the next week.

Interview Question – No question was hard enough to stomp me , so you should be fine.   Answer Question

Recovery (As-Is Area) Coworker-HL3 Interview

Recovery (As-Is Area) Coworker-HL3
East Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Interview Details – Overall process is very negative and confusing. I applied online and received an Email with instructions to attend the IKEA coworker event. On the day of the event I only find out my name was not even on the list. They told me the person who emailed me is only doing screening online and does not even work in IKEA, so I had no person to talk to about my situation.
Then I was greeted by a person who told me he's neither a recovery manager or sales manager, since both of them are too busy interviewing other people. He told me he doesn't usually do the interviews, but since they both are busy, he would interview me on that day.

So, I talked to him, and from the very first sentence I can immediately feel that the guy does not trust my words at all. I don't know why and how should I react, so I just tried to be myself. I can feel that "this guy is BS'ing" facial expression constantly from the interviewer throughout the whole conversation, even though he tried to pretend he's actually listening to me. He does not ask about IKEA history at all.

the guy is trying to pretend that he does value you and he just tried to kick you out as soon as the interview is done, and still tries to put on his mask of excitement of seeing you for interview and professionally.

Few days later, I had the opportunity to speak with other coworkers and only find out that the job descriptions posted online only gives out a very vague and misleading tasks of what a recover coworker should do, and what I expected to do for the job is very different.

The overall experience is very disappointing to me, and the person who interviewed me was unprofessional. The IKEA Concept and IKEA Group values are theoretically very good, but they fail to be realized within the company management

Interview Questions

Call Center Representative Interview

Call Center Representative
Southfield At Whitemarsh, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Interview Details – Being a true Ikea Lover when I saw that they were hiring for a entry level call center position I was excited and promptly applied. Shortly after I applied I received an email invite to an Ikea hiring event at the same location and decided to go . In my mind I was under the impression that this was for people who applied but arrived to the location to find it was a open job fair for the position. Nevertheless I interviewed with a pair of employees and was very happy with the interview process , they were very nice and all the questions they asked where your typical run of the mill interview questions. After my interview I was asked to return for a second interview which was similar to the first only with less people. After that interview I was scheduled for a phone interview and asked to provide information in order to process a background check. When I received my phone interview I was asked why I wanted to work for ikea , What would I say my reason for coming to work was an etc. I was finally told that I would need to return to the offices to fill out paper work and do a drug test. When I arrived I was there with 4 other people , we were taken into a room where we were told that now we would be offered the job to which I accepted , we then signed paperwork and where given a mouth swab that would serve as our drug test. The hiring mananger told us our start date and said that our employment was contingent on passing the drug test and background check , confident that this would be fine on my end I left. 3 days before the start date I received an email telling me based on my experience I didnt get the job , I was very confused and upset and didnt understand why I had received the email and how my experience could not be enough if the position was entry level . I called numerous times to speak with the hiring manager very upset and confused , I was told that they couldn't tell me why over the phone and to expect a letter. I have never been through such a long , grueling process before and as someone who has been working very hard to get a job it is very misleading and upsetting to be taken through so much , given a job only to be emailed that you dont have it. I believe that this process is very unprofessional and that going through all of this for nearly a month only to be denied is very upsetting . It made me lose respect for the company , had I not been lead to believe I had recieved the job im sure my experience would have been positive

Interview Question – What would you say motivates you to come to work everyday   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position to which I accepted only to be emailed 3 days before my start date and told I did not get the job and was not given an explanation

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!