IKEA Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA in September 2010.

First there was a telephone interview where they asked about me and my experience/availabilities/why i want to work in IKEA. Then they emailed for a group interview the day after, and there we had to first introduce the person next to us, then in the second part we had to build a box and then sell it to the group observers and then we had a test which was matching products codes to names. And then each of us had a one on one interview which was jus like a normal interview

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at IKEA in September 2012.

applied online on company's job board site. Got the email a week later said they were going to follow other candidates.

IKEA Kitchen Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA in July 2013.

Applied online - received email in a few days. Got a surprise call that same morning I received the email, despite the email telling me to call him. Their HR office is out of state (located in Baltimore). The representative was hurried, straightforward, and somewhat rude. It appeared that he did not read my resume, his questions were not personal and did not apply to my situation. I've interviewed many places before (phone and in person) and this was the most awkward and strangest interview I ever had. I never met such an unfriendly recruiter in my life. The wages for this position is not competitive. The industry average is $12.00+ an hour, my former employee paid me full commission where I averaged $19.00. When I said my expected salary was $10.00 (average Ikea pay via websites, respectfulness), the man became offended and said "we only pay $7.00!" in a very annoyed voice. $7.00 is below minimum wage in my state, my friend. Most places lead their interview questions based on specific answers on your resume or the position. The questions he asked to do not lead to a great sales associate. This is exactly why I receive absolutely no customer service at Ikea and their kitchen department. Sorry Ikea, I interviewed somewhere else and received a management position instead. I had high hopes for this place, I thought people who worked for Ikea was happy. I guess I was wrong, the recruiter sounded like he was having a very bad day.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me a SPECIFIC situation where teamwork was crucial?   View Answer
    • Can you tell me a SPECIFIC situation where working alone was more effective that working with others?   View Answer

Did not appreciate how I was treated on the phone. Declined further interviews in person. Unimpressed with the company. Ignored/blocked any additional emails, accepted a management position somewhere else. Terrible impression with company.

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Funabashi, Chiba (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Funabashi, Chiba (Japan)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in September 2012.

There was pre-assignment work for the first interview. It was like three pics of your home, hand drawn plan, and had drawn perspective drawing. On the day, groupe interview, and groupe activity which applicants make table setting whick took FOUR HOURS. For the second interview, again, pre-assignment work -design living room. A concept, plan, elevations, rendring, prise lists were required. Interview and my presentation, every things seemed so smooth, but I didn't get offer. They have been posting this position all year around. I really wonder what kind of person they want???

Interview Questions
    • There were some uniqe questions, but I waa able to answer those qustions.   Answer Question

Logistics Replenishmener Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in April 2011.

I hope you are ready for the long haul. The hiring process I went through started with the online app which was then followed up by a 15 minute phone interview. If you make it through that, you will have your initial interview at the store and then a third with more senior management. You may or may not have a tour early in the morning, and if you don't see yourself getting up early, try another department- Logs is not for you!

Interview Questions
    • They ask all the general questions. What made you want to apply, why do you like IKEA, what skills do you have that would make you a good fit for the position.   View Answer
    IKEA has base pay rates and negotiation never really seems like an option when applying for a retail position. IF they like you will sign your offer letter with the pay they will give you starts around $10.29 or $12.29 if they want you to drive equipment for them (you earn the extra money believe me)

BA Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2013.

Submit application and CV online, got phone-interview after two weeks, then was asked to finish an online PLI test, first interview was arranged after one week, called back the next week to inform me that there is another interview ahead a week later, went through the interview, and got the offer within one week. both f-t-f interviews are individuals, no group interviews.

no negotiation

Customer Service - Phone Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2013.

Applied online Middle of Jan, Call the next day to arrange a telephone interview, Telephone interview quite easy, Why Ikea etc, Emailed the following day requesting I completed an online survey and to confirm I was to attend the assessment centre the following week for an all day assessment. The assessment was 9.45am-4pm which consisted of an introduce yourself, team exercise which involved listening to calls and discussing, then a presentation (it is important to be seen as a team player and also confident) then a 1-1 interview which was 15 questions, What does Ikea mean to you? What does Ikea mean to Customers.. Tell me about a time you influenced/persuaded someone? Tell me a mistake you have made and how you rectified it? I found it very difficult to answer under pressure. then an individual exercise involving taking a call from a fake customer with a problem, writing notes on screen of the call, It was a full on day but remember you are being assessed from the moment you enter till the moment you leave, just be relaxed, friendly, team player. confident but not bossy, and listen to everyone's input.. I was told they would make a decision within 5 days, I got a call the next day offering me a position. Hope this helps.. I prepared as much as possible for the interview..

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you met somone who disliked you? What happened and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Showroom Coworker Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in June 2009.

Application was by online only. Very long document with very much detail about you, Group interview to see how we are all working together playing with items, building models and selling them to watching managers. Phone call fo interview later with two managers. Questions about IKEA, and testing questions. like tell me about what are strongest and weakest points for you. Was difficult to me but very nice people there so just be normal.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your strongest and your weakest points.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IKEA in November 2009.

Phone interview --> Department Manager Interview --> Immediate Manager Interview

Those are the three interview steps that I went through. Be prepared to answer different scenario questions. Phone interview = Many different scenario questions, as well as "why IKEA" etc. The interviews with the different managers are mainly to get to know what type of person you are and if you'd be able to fit in with everyone else.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you dealt with a unhappy customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Negotiable.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in June 2009.

The call was made early in the morning and when I didn't answer they left a message. When I called back later on around noon no one would answer and I mad to leave a message. I would call back every couple days but every time no one would answer. I finally received an email saying the position I applied for was filled.