IKEA Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015
Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.6

Safety & Security Co-Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

I applied online and received a phone call from an IKEA recruiter about two weeks later for a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was told that I would get a call from someone at the store within the next two weeks to schedule an in person interview. Just like the recruiter said I received a call from the Safety & Security manager at the store to schedule an interview. The first interview was with the Safety & Security manager and the person who would be training me. Both were very friendly and the interview was laid back. One week later I received a call from the HR manager to schedule a second interview which was going to be with her, which again was pretty laid back and friendly. A few days later I was offered the job and accepted. Drug test was completed at the store with HR and my manager, also filled out some paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions during the interview process, just basic situation questions that pertain to the job you are applying for. If you have experience in the job you are applying for this makes it pretty easy.   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

The process was extremely slow. Communication was slow and weeks between follow up emails or calls regarding the process or next steps. Unaware if the job has been filled or not. No one has taken a moment to contact me or reply to my email to follow up on the status of the position since the interview. Communication is key in HR and even when busy, we must appropriately communicate with candidates we have held face to face interviews with.

Information and Smaland Co-Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA
    Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

Applied online. Had a phone screen 1.5 weeks later. Invited for an in-person interview after the phone screen. I thought the in-person interview went well. I believe it was with the Interviewing Manager. She was pretty cordial and I enjoyed chatting with her. She had a packet of questions and stuck to it for the most part. I didn't get an offer, which I believed was because the position was PT and didn't offer many hours-- and since I don't live close to the location, it wasn't worth the time/opportunity cost. Guess she was just looking out for me, or so I'd like to think. The only negative aspect was that I had to fill out another lengthly application when I went in for the interview. You'd think in such large companies applicant information is readily available in their systems after your initial online application.

Interview Questions
    • Why IKEA?
      Are you comfortable with children?
      Are you willing to also work as a cashier if needed?
      Are you willing to stand for long periods of time?
      Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a co-worker/teammate/colleague.
      What do you expect from your co-workers? And Supervisor?
      Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team.
      Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
      What is your ultimate career goal? (What field are you interested in?)
      How long do you plan on staying with IKEA?

Answer Question

Human Resources CO WORKER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in January 2015.

Fairly simple. They replied back to my email application by phone and an interview in person was scheduled. You show up, fill out their paper application and then have your one on one.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in HR? Do you have experience in retail? Are you open to work nights and weekends? Where do you see yourself in five years? Are you ok working the floor if the store is busy?   Answer Question

Front Lines Lead Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in December 2014.

I had 2 total in-person interviews, no phone interview. I was initially emailed from HR asking to reply with answers to 5 specific questions...about my salary expectations, availability, my leadership style etc. I received another email the same day to schedule an interview. I met with 2 very nice managers that asked basic interview questions, and gave me a rundown of what the job entailed. the next day I received an email to complete my background check, which I completed immediately. 3 days later I received an email with a personality assessment to complete. That same day I received a phone call to schedule a 2nd interview. This was with the HR Manager and GM, both of whom were also very nice, although they asked extensive questions. They even had me go downstairs to observe the front lines for 10 minutes then come back and give them my feedback. I was hired on the spot after the observation. Then another hour of paperwork, mouth swab for drug test, and orientation was scheduled. My final interview lasted almost 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What IKEA value represents you most and why
      What room is the favorite room in your house and why
      What is your experience working with people culturally different than you
      Tell me about a time you have to utilize performance management

Answer Question
    No negotiation, set salary.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Elizabeth, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IKEA.

Completed application on-line then received an email to schedule an interview. Took only a couple of days. I met first with HR and it was a pleasant experience. I was asked questions that were geared toward me personally and what I was looking to achieve within the company. I immediately met with the Store Manager and that interview lasted well over an hour. You sit in a comfortable room with couch and chairs so it feels informal. Questions were based on situations and how I would handle them or how I had dealt with them. When I asked what the number one concern was I was stunned to hear honestly and openly "their managers". Probing further it was revealed that about half the managers had been with the company over 10+ to 20+ years and only knew of the Ikea way. They didn't work as a team as the Store Manager would like and as I dived deeper found that there was really no set plan in place to correct the team attitude or guidance on leadership. It was mentioned several times during the interview and in the job posting about "coaching" and as I defined coaching I was finding this was not the focus of the store manager. It was talk the talk but came down to talk only and when the Store manager when questioned about his/her coaching it was evident that they themselves lacked the leadership they needed to keep their managers on one page and working together. The Store manager was more concerned about "not doing" someone's job and that coaching consisted of a conversation or two then if you don't get it, they start disciplinary actions.

Their problem is definitely the Executive Level Managers and the Sales Managers. The lack of concern over their sales associates showed in offering customer service. Their leadership is evident when I left I bought some food and a mistake was made the manager was called over not once did she acknowledge me, look at me or apologize and walked away. The sales associates were too busy talking about chicken wings at the party they just had in the break room. Clearly a store running without clear expectations or standards. Sad their upper management is not engaged with its' store managers, if so the Store Manager would recognize they needed a leader, not just a pencil pusher.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

I applied for a full time sales position and was contacted for an interview a few weeks later. And by "contacted" I mean the manager happened to see me and wanted to do the interview right then. There was no real planning on his part.

After answering some generic questions, the interview took a sour turn. His demeanor was very pompous and arrogant. Additionally, he made snide remarks about my career aspirations and answers to his questions. I withdrew my application the same day; no job is worth that disrespect.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your career goals/do you have any other job besides working at IKEA?"

"If hired when can you begin?"

View Answer

Call Center Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

They gave a lot of run around, I had 3 interviews and they tell me you won't be a match and it hurt cause I really believed the interview process was going great. I even thought that the moment I left I had it ... Smh

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to do something that you didn't agree with   Answer Question

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in November 2014.

The process was very long. It took about three months to complete the process. The first thing I did was fill out the application online and then I received a phone interview a couple of weeks after that. At the end of the phone interview the lady told the store would be contacting me for face to face interview in two weeks. It took them about close the three weeks to contact me for the face to face interview. The face to face interview went great. I was interview by two members of the manager team.At the interview they told me they would contact me in three weeks with a decision. This took place the week before Thanksgiving and I didn't receive a call back offering me the job until the first week of the new year.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever dealt with a difficult customer? How did you handle the customer? Did the customer leave satisfied?   Answer Question

Safety and Security Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in October 2014.

Applied October 2014. Initial phone interview, invited for face to face late October. Interviewed with Department Manager and a member of the team. Received invitation for second face to face with the District Manager early November. After this interview, a third face to face a week later with the team that you would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions if you have Loss Prevention experience. The process with this company is lengthy; applicants are thoroughly vetted. It is worth the wait!   Answer Question
    Position was posted at a certain rate, but due to experience was given more.