IKEA

2.5

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in September 2014.

August 2014- Received phone call about one week after i submitted online application. This was a pre-screening interview. I passed the phone screening interview and was told that a hiring manager would be in touch via email to set up first interview.

End August 2014. One week later email arrives and i am to choose an interview time slot. Long story short, i was playing email tag with the HR guy since every time i chose a slot it was taken. Seriously?? Why not just assign a time and date, what an inconvenience this was. So I chose a time slot exactly an entire month away.

Late September 2014- Finally interview day! I arrived 20 min early, the Receptionist had me fill out a ton of paper work including all the application info already done on line. Inconvenience again not to mention that it interfered with the interview process. The two interviewers stepped into the interview room i was in still filling out paperwork and they were early walking in there. The greeting was so cold and informal. I didn't get a chance to say much when they came in, as they told me , " oh we will let you finish that paperwork before we get started. " They saw that I brought my portfolio with me as it sat on table. They just grabbed it and sifted through it not giving me the time to share it and walk through it. I brought my examples of presentation boards which they took no interest in either, i wasn't given an opportunity to even present them. The HR guy bluntly stated that interior design wasn't his thing. How unprofessional to state a remark like that. Their interviewing skills were terrible and with no confidence. No interior design questions were asked. Just your basic standard interview reading from a paper. So informal i was disgusted. I was then given a tour of the facility and back offices including design center. Aside from such a terrible unorganized interview, i was still very interested in this position. Upon wrapping things up i was told that I would receive a call by the following Friday which was a week and a half away.

Two weeks later into October 2014-- I receive a phone call from one of the interviewers apologizing for not contacting within the time promised. " He stated that the extended another week of interviews that had to be done. He said to me that he would have an answer for me by early next week. Ok......

Two and half weeks later Ending October here----- still no correspondence. ....................

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked related to business scenerios   View Answer

Interior Design Co-worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IKEA.

Was given a floor plan drawing and aesthetic test using ikea catalogue. The test parameter was 15 min. It's to test your design skills. Discuss portfolio and previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • 3 hour long interview with direct manager, followed by department supervisor.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable

Home Furnishing Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA.

Applied online, got email to set up phone interview for home furnishing sales associate. Emailed back with time and day. Received call from a phone number in maryland, took around 10 minutes.

Checkout Services Coworker Interview

About a week after I applied online I received an email requesting me to call for a phone interview. A week after the phone interview I received an email letting me know when the store was having their next hiring event. At the hiring event I completed a paper application and had to creatively "sell/market" an item. I was at the hiring event for approx 5 hours.

Ikea Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

Applied online, was called for an interview within the week. Phone interview, then in person. Having open availability is key. Good interview, questions about how you've handled situations in the past, easy. Be natural, they value perspectives from different people. Important to convey similar acceptance of others, be a team player. Offered and accepted position on the spot.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Apply on line, telephone interview, face to face interview usually with more than one person. Occasionally there's an immediate offer. Usually have to wait a bit for the offer by phone.

Interior Design Co-worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson, NM

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

Submitted my application online and heard back from HR the next day requesting an interview, which was very conversational and lasted a couple hours. The interview concluded with a tour, the whole process lasted about a week.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, just a straight offer.

Frontline Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

I applied online and got invited to a job fair that was being held 3 days later. Interviews were group, four candidates per interview. Interview questions were standard/generic, after interview we were informed by the manager that she was, in fact, going to call us all back for a second interview. I personally was skeptical about the whole thing, but was surprised when was called back three days later for the second interview.

The second interview was much like the first, only on a one-on-one basis instead of group. Same standard/generic questions, only much shorter and they will tell you right then and there if you are hired. Once you accept the position, you are whisked off to meet an HR rep where you sign all the paperwork, are given a packet, a gift card, and drug test.

The entire hiring process was very smooth and quick. It only took less than a week and a half from the time I applied online to getting hired. Now after you get hired, it does take about a month from hired to starting, and this is because of the background check. The company they use to conduct their background checks is terrible. They ask for 6 years of previous employers, but will only investigate ONE prior, so make sure you have all the W-2 forms from all previous employers ready to go as evidence. For me personally, that process was an absolute nightmare, they investigated one previous employer, but got the information WRONG, so I had to file a claim and provide more evidence on top of everything else I previously provided. Seriously, I don't know what that company is getting paid for, since the applicant has to provide 99% of everything.

Interview Questions
    • None, all questions are standard retail interview questions.   Answer Question

Sales (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in June 2014.

I filled out an application online and was sent an e-mail immediately. A few days later I received another e-mail about a short phone interview. I called the number but didn't get the person the first few times. I eventually did get in contact with him and had the phone interview. The questions were simple: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Tell me about a time you worked in ___ situation? etc. It took maybe 10 minutes. He said that I was invited for an in-store interview a few days later. The in-store interview actually turned out to be a "hiring event" where there were others there to be interviewed as well. I was interviewed first with someone who asked a few questions while filling out a form. Then another person came in to interview me while looking at my resume. We talked and he asked me a few more questions, complimented me, and then gave me a form for how to fill out the background check. The interviewer called not even a week later asking me to come back to the store. I was offered the job, given a drug test, and fitted for a uniform.

Ikea Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

I applied online. Did a phone interview with the US recruiter. Then had to interview at the store. It was a group interview that was two hours long. The first hour of the interview was devoted to questions. Each person answered about two. The second hour of the interview we were put into groups and had to build a piece of furniture out of play-doh. It was pretty fun overall.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate. The pay started at a specific amount.