IKEA

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.5

Frontline Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in July 2014.

I applied online and got invited to a job fair that was being held 3 days later. Interviews were group, four candidates per interview. Interview questions were standard/generic, after interview we were informed by the manager that she was, in fact, going to call us all back for a second interview. I personally was skeptical about the whole thing, but was surprised when was called back three days later for the second interview.

The second interview was much like the first, only on a one-on-one basis instead of group. Same standard/generic questions, only much shorter and they will tell you right then and there if you are hired. Once you accept the position, you are whisked off to meet an HR rep where you sign all the paperwork, are given a packet, a gift card, and drug test.

The entire hiring process was very smooth and quick. It only took less than a week and a half from the time I applied online to getting hired. Now after you get hired, it does take about a month from hired to starting, and this is because of the background check. The company they use to conduct their background checks is terrible. They ask for 6 years of previous employers, but will only investigate ONE prior, so make sure you have all the W-2 forms from all previous employers ready to go as evidence. For me personally, that process was an absolute nightmare, they investigated one previous employer, but got the information WRONG, so I had to file a claim and provide more evidence on top of everything else I previously provided. Seriously, I don't know what that company is getting paid for, since the applicant has to provide 99% of everything.

Interview Questions
    • None, all questions are standard retail interview questions.   Answer Question

Sales (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in June 2014.

I filled out an application online and was sent an e-mail immediately. A few days later I received another e-mail about a short phone interview. I called the number but didn't get the person the first few times. I eventually did get in contact with him and had the phone interview. The questions were simple: Why do you want to work at Ikea? Tell me about a time you worked in ___ situation? etc. It took maybe 10 minutes. He said that I was invited for an in-store interview a few days later. The in-store interview actually turned out to be a "hiring event" where there were others there to be interviewed as well. I was interviewed first with someone who asked a few questions while filling out a form. Then another person came in to interview me while looking at my resume. We talked and he asked me a few more questions, complimented me, and then gave me a form for how to fill out the background check. The interviewer called not even a week later asking me to come back to the store. I was offered the job, given a drug test, and fitted for a uniform.

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield At Whitemarsh, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield At Whitemarsh, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Being a true Ikea Lover when I saw that they were hiring for a entry level call center position I was excited and promptly applied. Shortly after I applied I received an email invite to an Ikea hiring event at the same location and decided to go . In my mind I was under the impression that this was for people who applied but arrived to the location to find it was a open job fair for the position. Nevertheless I interviewed with a pair of employees and was very happy with the interview process , they were very nice and all the questions they asked where your typical run of the mill interview questions. After my interview I was asked to return for a second interview which was similar to the first only with less people. After that interview I was scheduled for a phone interview and asked to provide information in order to process a background check. When I received my phone interview I was asked why I wanted to work for ikea , What would I say my reason for coming to work was an etc. I was finally told that I would need to return to the offices to fill out paper work and do a drug test. When I arrived I was there with 4 other people , we were taken into a room where we were told that now we would be offered the job to which I accepted , we then signed paperwork and where given a mouth swab that would serve as our drug test. The hiring mananger told us our start date and said that our employment was contingent on passing the drug test and background check , confident that this would be fine on my end I left. 3 days before the start date I received an email telling me based on my experience I didnt get the job , I was very confused and upset and didnt understand why I had received the email and how my experience could not be enough if the position was entry level . I called numerous times to speak with the hiring manager very upset and confused , I was told that they couldn't tell me why over the phone and to expect a letter. I have never been through such a long , grueling process before and as someone who has been working very hard to get a job it is very misleading and upsetting to be taken through so much , given a job only to be emailed that you dont have it. I believe that this process is very unprofessional and that going through all of this for nearly a month only to be denied is very upsetting . It made me lose respect for the company , had I not been lead to believe I had recieved the job im sure my experience would have been positive

Interview Questions
    • What would you say motivates you to come to work everyday   Answer Question
    I was offered the position to which I accepted only to be emailed 3 days before my start date and told I did not get the job and was not given an explanation

Ikea Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

I applied online. Did a phone interview with the US recruiter. Then had to interview at the store. It was a group interview that was two hours long. The first hour of the interview was devoted to questions. Each person answered about two. The second hour of the interview we were put into groups and had to build a piece of furniture out of play-doh. It was pretty fun overall.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate. The pay started at a specific amount.

Recovery (As-Is Area) Coworker-HL3 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Overall process is very negative and confusing. I applied online and received an Email with instructions to attend the IKEA coworker event. On the day of the event I only find out my name was not even on the list. They told me the person who emailed me is only doing screening online and does not even work in IKEA, so I had no person to talk to about my situation.
    Then I was greeted by a person who told me he's neither a recovery manager or sales manager, since both of them are too busy interviewing other people. He told me he doesn't usually do the interviews, but since they both are busy, he would interview me on that day.

So, I talked to him, and from the very first sentence I can immediately feel that the guy does not trust my words at all. I don't know why and how should I react, so I just tried to be myself. I can feel that "this guy is BS'ing" facial expression constantly from the interviewer throughout the whole conversation, even though he tried to pretend he's actually listening to me. He does not ask about IKEA history at all.

the guy is trying to pretend that he does value you and he just tried to kick you out as soon as the interview is done, and still tries to put on his mask of excitement of seeing you for interview and professionally.

Few days later, I had the opportunity to speak with other coworkers and only find out that the job descriptions posted online only gives out a very vague and misleading tasks of what a recover coworker should do, and what I expected to do for the job is very different.

The overall experience is very disappointing to me, and the person who interviewed me was unprofessional. The IKEA Concept and IKEA Group values are theoretically very good, but they fail to be realized within the company management

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

About a week after applying, got an email requesting a phone interview. The questions were easy, and included ones like "When is it best to work as part of a team/individually?" and "Describe a time when you worked with someone who was culturally different than you." A few days after that, I was called in for an in-person interview. Again, easy questions like "Describe a time when you faced a problem at work."

Interview Questions
    • All questions were standard interview questions. Nothing surprising.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Applied online, was called back for an impromptu phone interview. Questions were standard job interview questions, with some about my knowledge and opinion of the company. Was called again about a week later for another impromptu interview with similar questions, after which I scheduled an in-store interview. That interview is tomorrow and I'm hopeful about my chances.

Ikea FOOD Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA in May 2014.

Did a Online application. They called a week later. Did the interview two weeks later. Then did another interview. Finally got an offer. Toke about a month process. The hr person was really nice.

No negotiations

Ikea Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IKEA.

Once i have finish my application a week later i received a phone call from they and that was my first interview. they said i passed on my application to the store i applied to. 3 days later i got the call to schedule my in-store interview. and once finished i had did a back ground check and once that went through i go another call for the second interview and got offered the job

Interview Questions
    • when was a time you have offered to me a leader to a group   Answer Question
    My Start date and my work schedule

Cookshop Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA in April 2014.

Applied online. Received email from recruiter to conduct a telephone call interview. Set up date and time. Phone interview was about thirty minutes. Received a followup email after the phone interview for an in person interview. The in person interview consisted of filling out a physical application and attach resume. During this interview there were several phycological evaluations with hands on tools and puzzles. Finally I had to come up with a new product and sell it to them. There were about 12 candidates, the groups were separated, my group of 5 were chosen as qualified for the position. This was 4 months ago. The store opens in August. I never received a call, or email to at least inform me of the outcome or rejection. This was callous and inexcusable of the recruiter to do this after so many interactions.

Interview Questions
    • Invent a new product that can be sold here. Make it, list it's functions, market it, give it a price and sell it.   View Answer