IKEA

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at IKEA

Interview Details – really wanted to be impressed by your knowledge of the company and there values.

Interview Question – how does working at ikea change your life   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IKEA.

Interview Details – Ikea's interview process was both a fun and unique experience. My first interview was a group hiring event where around thirty other applicants and I were taken into a conference room where we were split up between managers in groups of four. We were asked one question, and then each group was given a task to be completed as a team. The task was used to let the managers observe how well each candidate worked in a group with others to reach a common goal. They were able to observe our personalities as well as our communication skills firsthand. Later, they selected some of us to continue to the next step in the hiring process by providing references and information for a background check. After about a week, I was called in for a one on one interview with the manager interested in hiring me onto her team. I had a professional interview with both my manager and her boss, and a week later, I was called in for one last meeting in which I was offered a job.

Interview Question – "Tell us about a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer, OR tell us about a time when you handled an extremely difficult customer."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Ikea is looking for someone who is willing to start building a career through them, so they want to make sure you're comfortable with the hours you choose. Really consider how much time you will have to come to work before you make your decision. If you're going to school or have family obligations, make sure you are very clear with the times you will be available. Ikea is highly supportive of your life outside the workplace, so they want to make sure you can schedule your time wisely.

Stoughton, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IKEA.

Interview Details – This is my one complaint. The hiring process was so incredibly drawn out. I applied in late March/early April of 2009, was interviewed in May and I didn't start work until June. And this was to semi-urgently fill the vacant position. The interview process itself was decent, you go into a cozy little room decorated and outfitted with Ikea furniture (naturally) the interviewers were friendly, they ask thought-provoking questions, and sometimes you may be asked to come in for a second interview.

Interview Question – I don't recall any specific questions. They weren't humdingers like Google has, but they do require you to think.   Answer Question

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application about a week before I got a call from one of the managers. He asked me to come in for an interview that next day. I went in and filled out another paper application form. I was interviewed by a manager in the bath section who wanted to hire me in his area (keep in mind I have no experience in that area whatsoever). The interview took about an hour, maybe longer including filling out the paper application. He told me he would call me by that next week and that he's planning to hire around memorial day(3 weeks away), but instead I got a call the next day to do some more paperwork and then to start me off in the next couple of days. I took the drug test during my interview as well, it was a saliva drug test, nothing that difficult.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you have a saved money for a company you have worked for?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you have had to deal with multiple things at one time   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you have had to do something that you had little or no experience or training in   Answer Question

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA in May 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out the application on line. About a week later, I was given a call by one of the managers at Ikea. He asked me to come in for an interview that next day. When I showed up, I was asked to fill out a paper application as well. He called me back and it was the basic interviews questions. I ended up doing a drug test then and there. It was a saliva drug test, so nothing too difficult. He told me he would give me a call in a week and that he was hiring for the end of may(3 weeks from then). I got a call the next day from a lady in HR and asked me to come in that Monday to fill out more paperwork and to start on Tuesday instead. They have two days of orientation, and it really gets you use to their values and their store policies. It also helps you get use to their store a little better since it is HUGE.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA in May 2012.

Interview Details – Apply from web.
Get the interview.
30 minitue process with my prospective manager.
respond by phone.
Background check. Drug test.

Interview Question – What is your favorite furniture?   Answer Question

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at IKEA in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online on the IKEA website. I was then contacted by phone for a phone interview. After the phone interview, we set up an interview at the store. My interview went very smoothly. I met with an employee in HR, and two managers, one who was managing the department I was applying for. They were all very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Question – It's hard to remember, but I believe that a difficult question that I was asked was what I expected to accomplish in this job. At IKEA, people move up the ladder, and there are many positions available to contribute to at this company. I am a student working towards a degree, so I didn't think I would be working there for long, but for someone who sees this as a career, it's very tangible and lucrative as long as you work hard and take all of the training classes offered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, because this was retail and an hourly wage, I accepted the base pay.

Very Easy Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 days - interviewed at IKEA in April 2009.

Interview Details – The process was not very long for me, but I have had other co workers say that it is a long process that can sometimes take weeks to finish. The process of interviewing is somewhat old and out dated

Interview Question – There werent really any difficult questions. It is a basic job and does not require an in depth interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations

Charlotte, NC

I applied online - interviewed at IKEA in June 2011.

Interview Details – First step is online questions. Second is a phone call interview. Third step is a group interview. You are asked to interview the person next to you. Then you are asked to stand up and speak about that person. The next part is in your group you must review an item and figure out its purpose. Then decide who will speak about the product and present the product. After that you are chosen by a manager for an interview. You then receive a call as to whether or not you get the job.

Interview Question – There are no difficult questions standard questions in interview.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IKEA in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied almost less than a month ago and then last week got a phone call for a phone interview, missed it and called back, they didn't call for the rest of the day. They called again the next day, I missed it again and then called back, no call for the rest of the day. Finally they called back on the third day and I was able to answer the phone. I guess that they work on their own time. I did the phone interview and it was okay, I felt kind of weird after. This past week I got an email and a phone call for an in person interview. I went in today and it was typical questions for a retail position, but they had me do a written application, then interviewed, then gave me the job description and walked out, walked back in and said that they wanted to move forward. I guess that meant that I got the job because I filled out a background check form and agreed to do a drug test, which I haven't done... I think that the background check is done first.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult or unexpected... but do your homework... part of the first question that they asked me was what I knew about IKEA.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at IKEA

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IKEA Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by IKEA employees and interview candidates.