ILA Vietnam

Relevance Date Difficulty

English Teacher Interview

English Teacher
Hanoi (Vietnam)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ILA Vietnam in October 2010.

Interview Details – The initial communications with the company were positive. Emails were replied to in a timely manner. The interview was painless and done in a professional manner. After accepting the contract, the hiring manager was a bit flaky and it was at times quite difficult to get specific questions answered. This can be a little stressful as a lot of people interviewing are coming from abroad and would like specifics before moving to a foreign country such as Vietnam.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult or unexpected. There was a question about the appropriate way to correct mistakes of Vietnamese students.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was a standard rate for recently qualified teachers so no negotiation phase.

English Teacher Interview

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ILA Vietnam in March 2011.

Interview Details – They will certainly take you if you are

- White.
- Hold a degree and CELTA (Cambridge English Teaching piece of paper).
- Express an interest in developing as an ESL teacher.
- Promise to work any schedule they randomly throw at you.

You must write a sample lesson plan CELTA style. The main purpose of this is to check that you've genuinely attained the CELTA, and not just a fake certificate.

Negotiation Details – They have a standard pay scale to dissuade negotiation. Ask to be raised a grade - they're desperate for you.

Teacher Interview

Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ILA Vietnam in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on-line and via email, was contacted quickly by staff but i was already in Vietnam so I believe this helped a lot. I was invited to interview where i explained my experience etc The interview lasted around 20 minutes, I was then asked to complete a rough lesson plan with some material i was provided, standard text books for Vietnam. Later I was told that some academic managers were interested in me but that all new starters taught kinder garten classes for the first few months, as i was not keen on this i withdrew my application.

Interview Question – None too difficult, just the stardard 'what's your biggest weakness? and a quick grammar test etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – all new starters taught kinder garten classes for the first few months, as i was not keen on this i withdrew my application.

Very Easy Interview

ESL Teacher Interview

ESL Teacher

I applied online and interviewed at ILA Vietnam.

Interview Details – To get the interview I had to submit my resume (CV) to their website. After waiting for several weeks I was contacted by someone in HR and we agreed to set up a time for an interview. The interview was fairly standard, but they did ask me to include a picture with my resume and what age groups I was willing to work as well as my preference in location.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

ESL Teacher Interview

ESL Teacher
Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ILA Vietnam in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview itself was very brief and informal. Since I had taken my CELTA course at ILA, it felt a bit like I already had the job even before the interview and would have had to say something pretty stupid to screw it up. Since a good portion of new CELTA grads usually want to work for ILA, the school gets its pick of the top candidates.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiating. ILA's pay scale is based on your prior teaching experience. You move up the pay scale by regularly attending development workshops and teaching for a year or more, getting your DELTA or CELTYL.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for ILA Vietnam? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ILA Vietnam interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by ILA Vietnam employees and interview candidates.