IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions

3.1

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in April 2014.

I was contacted by HR and was quickly set up with a first round, in person interview. It was a technical interview consisting of a few questions about my resume and why I want to be a trader. Technical questions consisted of analyzing a matlab function and two basic questions about options trading.

Interview Questions
    • Analyzing the matlab function, even though I stated that I had never used matlab before.   Answer Question

Trader Summer Intern Interview

Apply online, after three weeks they give me a skype interview

Interview Questions
    • asks me to find two problems that perturb me in life, find an algorithm to solve them   Answer Question

Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

I approached an IMC recruiter and dropped my resume at my University. Since I had visited so many booths I had forgotten what position I had applied for. I got an email inviting me for an interview. I was told it would be a technical interview. Thinking it was for Software Developer I prepared for that well. On the day of the interview I learned I was interviewing for a trader position. Regardless, I didn't perform we

Interview Questions
    • I given some obscure finance related Matlab code used by the company and asked to explain everything about it. Since I had no experience with Matlab it was quite difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2014.

Met them at a school fair, gave them my resume and they contacted me for an online assessment (through codility). I did quite poorly on that though, as I was at the very beginning of the interview process and I hadn't had time to even review dynamic programming (and for some reason many of the questions were that). I guess, look at project Euler, one of the questions was from there (something with pieces of food that you have to collect, which I didn't have time to even think about). I also felt that there wasn't enough time for the online test, but I believe it was just me being underprepared.

I also had an on campus interview (which I thought went really well) where I talked about hash maps and then DFS/BFS in a BST.

Overall, easy enough to go to the on-site, but I wasn't able to...

Interview Questions
    • So there was one question which was solved with a stack that I don't actually remember (calculate the time), one BST, one linked list that had loops and was represented as an array, and the collect rice from a chessboard problem.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Got an email to interview after dropping a resume. Met one on one with an interviewer - IMC had booked some conference rooms at a hotel and were holding all of their interviews for the first round there for one day. There were quite a few other people there at once.

Interviewer was very nice but not helpful. Asked quite a few logic questions. Didn't ask any "Why IMC" questions specifically but did ask about my background, interests, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If San Francisco was going to flood in three hours, how would you evacuate everyone?   Answer Question
    • If you could express one thing you do everyday in an algorithm, describe the algorithm.   Answer Question

Trading Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

They had two people come to the University of Chicago campus and conduct interviews. Pretty basic went over the resume, asked about programming experience, and had a couple of brainteasers. Also wanted to know if there was legitimate interest in financial markets, so had questions about how the market worked. Generally nice and didn't pressure too much when waiting for answers.

Interview Questions
    • Showed a picture of an old advertisement and asked what was wrong with it.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Position Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Phone interviews and on-site interview.

Trading Intern Interview

Process took a while, but I applied online and interviewed with them over spring break as I was back home in Chciago. Overall a good process with a lot of mental math, brainteasers, and curve ball questions. Also had a debugging test and 2 other mental math tests.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would price Euro option and whether you want lower or higher volatility in different situations.   Answer Question

Trading Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Dropped my resume at a career fair; after completing a relatively easy assessment, I was invited to a basic behavioral on-campus interview. Was invited to the IMC offices; first night was some more assessments and dinner, while the second day was 4 interviews, one of which was behavioral and the rest of which were technical. Did fine on the interviews, but ultimately didn't get the position. Predominantly candidates from MIT and Harvard.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an evacuation plan for your hometown?   Answer Question

Dwh Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in March 2013.

Phone Screening