IMC Financial Markets

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Trader Interview

Junior Trader
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR and was quickly set up with a first round, in person interview. It was a technical interview consisting of a few questions about my resume and why I want to be a trader. Technical questions consisted of analyzing a matlab function and two basic questions about options trading.

Interview Question – Analyzing the matlab function, even though I stated that I had never used matlab before.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met them at a school fair, gave them my resume and they contacted me for an online assessment (through codility). I did quite poorly on that though, as I was at the very beginning of the interview process and I hadn't had time to even review dynamic programming (and for some reason many of the questions were that). I guess, look at project Euler, one of the questions was from there (something with pieces of food that you have to collect, which I didn't have time to even think about). I also felt that there wasn't enough time for the online test, but I believe it was just me being underprepared.

I also had an on campus interview (which I thought went really well) where I talked about hash maps and then DFS/BFS in a BST.

Overall, easy enough to go to the on-site, but I wasn't able to...

Interview Question – So there was one question which was solved with a stack that I don't actually remember (calculate the time), one BST, one linked list that had loops and was represented as an array, and the collect rice from a chessboard problem.   Answer Question

Trader Summer Intern Interview

Trader Summer Intern

Interviewed at IMC Financial Markets

Interview Details – Apply online, after three weeks they give me a skype interview

Interview Question – asks me to find two problems that perturb me in life, find an algorithm to solve them   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Trader

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview Details – I approached an IMC recruiter and dropped my resume at my University. Since I had visited so many booths I had forgotten what position I had applied for. I got an email inviting me for an interview. I was told it would be a technical interview. Thinking it was for Software Developer I prepared for that well. On the day of the interview I learned I was interviewing for a trader position. Regardless, I didn't perform we

Interview Question – I given some obscure finance related Matlab code used by the company and asked to explain everything about it. Since I had no experience with Matlab it was quite difficult.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Junior Trader

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview Details – Got an email to interview after dropping a resume. Met one on one with an interviewer - IMC had booked some conference rooms at a hotel and were holding all of their interviews for the first round there for one day. There were quite a few other people there at once.

Interviewer was very nice but not helpful. Asked quite a few logic questions. Didn't ask any "Why IMC" questions specifically but did ask about my background, interests, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Interview Questions

• If San Francisco was going to flood in three hours, how would you evacuate everyone?   Answer Question
  • If you could express one thing you do everyday in an algorithm, describe the algorithm.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was asked to do a phone interview soon after. They asked me about my resume, the usual, and then asked me a few general questions about data structures, nothing too complicated. For instance, they asked me about how a HashMap works.

After that I was invited to Chicago for an on-site. They put me up in a nice hotel right near their offices in the Willis Tower (except there were lights under the bed which I had to crawl under and un-plug to get to sleep, lol).

The next day I went up to their offices and they gave me a tour with four other candidates. It's pretty small: one entire floor on the tower, and they have a very nice dining area, a game area, and some nice places to relax. After they they put me in a room with the other candidates and took us one at a time to whichever interview stage had an opening. So we got a lot of welcome time to relax in the waiting room between internet stages. They had some donuts and orange juice for us and an HR rep was in there chatting with us when they weren't busy with the interview logistics.

All in all the interview was well set up on HR's side, but I had some reservations about the technical parts. In the first technical interview stage they asked me to complete some Java code. They said: "We know you said your Java is very rusty but we use Java here so we want you to use Java." Well, that would have been fine if they'd told me that before the interview, but before the interview I was told that I could use C++ so that was misrepresented to me. The other two technical interviews were more expected, but quite difficult and I got stumped badly by one of them. It was a tough interview. The HR interview parts were what you would expect from an HR interview, with a couple of weird questions.

I sort of had a career-epiphany during this interview. The developers didn't seem very passionate about their work and I can understand why: their work, on automated trading software, essentially only serves to make a few very rich people richer than they already are. I found it very difficult to feel passionate about that. Also there were two distinct types of employees here: the developers and the traders. It looked to me like they got along fine, but they seemed to keep somewhat separate. When we had lunch, none of the traders were there, and they have a separate side of the building. But I did see a developer and a trader trading some witty banter at one point.

Interview Question – How would you design a spice-rack for blind people?   Answer Question

Trading Intern Interview

Trading Intern

Interview Details – They had two people come to the University of Chicago campus and conduct interviews. Pretty basic went over the resume, asked about programming experience, and had a couple of brainteasers. Also wanted to know if there was legitimate interest in financial markets, so had questions about how the market worked. Generally nice and didn't pressure too much when waiting for answers.

Interview Question – Showed a picture of an old advertisement and asked what was wrong with it.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Position Interview

Quantitative Research Position

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview Details – Phone interviews and on-site interview.

Interview Question – Do you like soccer?   View Answer

Trading Intern Interview

Trading Intern

Interviewed at IMC Financial Markets

Interview Details – Process took a while, but I applied online and interviewed with them over spring break as I was back home in Chciago. Overall a good process with a lot of mental math, brainteasers, and curve ball questions. Also had a debugging test and 2 other mental math tests.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would price Euro option and whether you want lower or higher volatility in different situations.   Answer Question

Trader Intern Interview

Trader Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2013.

Interview Details – They recruit in both the spring and fall. Here's the basic process:

1) Pass two online tests (1 hour)
2) On-campus behavioral interview (30 min)
3) If you get on-site, two more online tests (2 hours)
4) On-site superday (Mock trading and panel on Day 1, 1-on-1 on Day 2)
5) You hear back the week after.

They like to hire smart math kids from Harvard with no trading experience. Even if you have a technical major, had relevant experience, and aced the interview, too bad. Go somewhere else where your background and interest are respected and desired.

Interview Question – How does a car work?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at IMC Financial Markets

Worked for IMC Financial Markets? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IMC Financial Markets interview questions and advice. All 43 interview reviews posted anonymously by IMC Financial Markets employees and interview candidates.