IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014

3.1

Trader Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2013.

They recruit in both the spring and fall. Here's the basic process:

1) Pass two online tests (1 hour)
    2) On-campus behavioral interview (30 min)
    3) If you get on-site, two more online tests (2 hours)
    4) On-site superday (Mock trading and panel on Day 1, 1-on-1 on Day 2)
    5) You hear back the week after.

They like to hire smart math kids from Harvard with no trading experience. Even if you have a technical major, had relevant experience, and aced the interview, too bad. Go somewhere else where your background and interest are respected and desired.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Pretty run of the mill "prove that you can code" questions. They let you talk about the solution on a white board and then critique what you have done. I got into an argument with the interviewer because he said what I did was not workable, when in reality it was. When I went back to school, I sent him the code stating that it works. Never heard back from him.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected. HR will ask you some basic questions - walk through your resume, what do you do for fun etc   Answer Question

People and their culture was not to my liking. Looking for a more US centric firm where I can understand the language

Junior Trader Interview

a lot of nice people who seemed to enjoy the process. 3 different types of interviews, logic/trading/personal. One trading simulation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in December 2012.

Contacted after a job fair and was sent two screening problems via email. Next was a Skype interview and than a final interview at their offices in Chicago.

Software Developer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

There was one phone interview (they asked how to remove duplicates from an array) followed by onsite interview in Chicago. During the onsite, I was put up in a nice hotel and had a full day of interviews. They have coding station where you do some fairly basic Java coding (code a few functions to implement using hashsets) , an algs station (find anagrams of words, a byte suffix problem), and an HR station (go over your resume piece by piece). It was a fairly good experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how a GPS system works. What makes you better than the other candidates?   Answer Question

Senior P&A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in March 2012.

Interview was one on one. A bit like pinball, he talked, I talked, he talked, I talked.

Their office is very new and updated.

Be prepared to answer job related questions and do not be afraid of being blunt.

Interview Questions
    • If you had 2 weeks to complete a project, What would be your first step.   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2012.

So i met IMC representatives at the career fair. I spoke to them and handed them my resume. They contacted me 2 days later sending me two problems attached to an email. They told me to send the solutions within 2 days (which is pretty tight). They however, apologized for the tight deadline and told me that this was their way of screening people. I don't think it was required though. Only recommended. So I solved them and handed in the solutions in due time and the asked me for a first round interview in a week.

In the first round interview they asked me to solve a problem which was fairly easy.I will describe those below. They told me they'll announce if I will be accepted for a second round interview soon. I'll update you once I know more.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that takes in an integer array and returns a boolean, whether or not the array has duplicates in it.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2012.

Before the in person interview, they made me take two online tests, one was basic logic and the other was math/graphs. Both were pretty easy. After that, I was contacted for an in person interview. Typical interview questions plus a brainteaser. My interviewer seemed like she was rushing through the interview though, so it wasnt a very good experience

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in February 2012.

First was asked to take the online test. Consisted most of numerical questions and abstract reasonaing problems.

Second, on site interview with HR and a trader(they cane to my school). Asked mostly behavioral and fit questions. Got rejected on the same day.

Interview Questions
    • What your internship employer would say about you? Positively and negatively?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMC Financial Markets in January 2012.

We were given a number of different tasks from Algorithms to actual coding round during the interview. They really want you to relax and succeed. There are a lot of smart java devs at the company and there is a lot that can be learned at the firm.