IMEC (Belgium) Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

The recruiters visited my college and offered interviews to students who went to seemed interested. I interviewed with them and one of the employees gave an idea of what working there would be like. They asked how I could contribute.

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in July 2014.

I applied online for a position in analog design. After passing the screening process got selected for an interview. It took some time to set it up, but it was very good. There were two interviewers, and they were very nice but direct and objective. They asked me about papers I had published before, where we discussed some of the circuits and results. Then they sent me two schematics, a half wave rectifier with op-amp and a generic amplifier circuit. Lots of basic analog questions like gain, impedance on the node, noise analysis, identifying blocks, etc. You should know your basics by hard, but it is OK if you make minor mistakes or don't know all the analytic answers, just be honest and say you don't know.

Interview Questions
    • Gain of the circuit. Impedance seen into node X. What does this circuit does? What is the main noise contributor?   Answer Question
    No negotiation since it is a fixed offer.

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Interview process very timely and well planned. Not a very difficult interview with very few detailed technical questions. Mostly general questions like why do you want to do a PhD, Why join IMEc etc

Analog Circuit Designer (0-2 Years Experience) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in September 2013.

The Process interview was quite long and slow... The 1st interview is with 2 principal scientists just to meet you and review your expertise by Skype. You don't have to sweat in this interview. Just talk about yourself and your knowledge. The 2nd interview is with the manager who is interested in hiring you and two possible colleagues by skype again. They ask pretty simple stuff but be careful. You cannot hesitate, this should be known 'by hard'. There is no time for analysis and they will not really care if you can derive the answers. Once they sense hesitation or start hinting you, you are out.
    The 'interview atmosphere' was prettty scientific so be aware that they might ask you if you know some 'recent-relevant' papers in your field from known scientists (i.e. Razavi, etc)
    These guys are not wasting their time and they will mean it if you are not concise and well prepared. They are not looking for amateurs nor recent grads willing to learn. They expect you already know!

Questions in the interview were pretty straight forward:
    Determine the gain of the circuit,
    Determine the output voltage swing of the circuit.'
    Common Mode Feedback
    Frequency Response and Noise.

Interview Questions
    • What happens if the common mode voltage drops at the input with the current sources? i.e.   Answer Question

Phd Student Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IMEC (Belgium).

Two step process. need gre score and toefl score.
    Nothing very difficult.Questions were only based on my CV and work done before

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult.Questions were only based on my CV and work done before   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

I applied online – interviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in June 2013.

2 interveiw the first interview is by phone. 3-4 interviewer ask question. One was hr dept. It was long time about 1 hour.second interview was at beligum leuven

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in May 2013.

It was via telephone and quite ok. Questions were based on a research project I had done before and so it wasn't so difficult to answer. After that I was given the position.

Graduate Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in June 2012.

Easy interview. Lasted 20 minutes. No technical question. They asked:

- Why IMEC?
    - Apart from the work described, do you have anything else in mind you would like to do?
    - How much stipend?
    - Visa requirements
    - How long?

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eindhoven (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eindhoven (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in October 2011.

I applied online and had a phone interview in which I was mainly asked about my background and experience. I was then called for 2 sets of face to face interviews spaced 2 weeks apart! The first set was mainly testing my technical aptitude and attitude. I was confident I had done these technical interviews very well and also the interviewers seemed pretty impressed. The second set of interviews was concerned with personality assessment. I felt these also went pretty well. But the talk with one of the final interviewers suggested that he felt I was not a good match for the position at hand! And after another week, I was informed by a simple mail that I am not a match! I wondered why I was called in the first place when they knew my background and experience from the phone interview itself. It ended up as a total waste of my time and energy for 6 weeks!

To add to this experience, I again applied for another position in a months time. I was again called for an interview at the pretext of having made a good impression in my previous interviews! (I do not understand why I was not offered then) This again went well and I was informed I was one of the top 2 candidates for the position before the final interview. After the final interview, again I received the general mail that I am not a match.

I should say I have now lost the respect and high opinion about the company and its recruitment practices. I wonder why they waste the candidates time and money by calling for multiple interviews and simply deciding that there is no match in the end!

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in September 2011.

outright stupid