IMEC (Belgium) Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

The recruiters visited my college and offered interviews to students who went to seemed interested. I interviewed with them and one of the employees gave an idea of what working there would be like. They asked how I could contribute.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium).

Interview

The phone interview was postponed a number of times. The interview itself was with the group leader, and took around an hour. The questions were mainly about my background and PhD thesis, with a few technical questions. The HR staff was kind and helpful, yet it took nearly two months to get an answer.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium).

Interview

3 stages of the interview. Initial HR call Technical phone interview On-site day-long techncial and HR interview. Usually asked for a short presentation on your PhD research. If you are applying in the CORE-CMOS program, make sure you are aware of the latest development in the particular group you are applying to (for example, EUV lithography for litho department). Also, try to check the latest publications from the group. The interviewers are usually very knowledgable but friendly. They try to help you answer their question in case you are not fully sure about it. The HR dept is a bit weird. They act very friendly till the moment you start to negotiate on the offer. Instead of talking with them about the negotiation, you should talk with your hiring manager about your concerns. Usually it works that way.

Interview Questions

• None as such. The interviewers are generally friendly and ready to listen.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR is too reluctant to negotiate. Lack international experience. I had to accept the offer due to geographical preferences.

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) (Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online for a position in analog design. After passing the screening process got selected for an interview. It took some time to set it up, but it was very good. There were two interviewers, and they were very nice but direct and objective. They asked me about papers I had published before, where we discussed some of the circuits and results. Then they sent me two schematics, a half wave rectifier with op-amp and a generic amplifier circuit. Lots of basic analog questions like gain, impedance on the node, noise analysis, identifying blocks, etc. You should know your basics by hard, but it is OK if you make minor mistakes or don't know all the analytic answers, just be honest and say you don't know.

Interview Questions

• Gain of the circuit. Impedance seen into node X. What does this circuit does? What is the main noise contributor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation since it is a fixed offer.

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Interview

Interview process very timely and well planned. Not a very difficult interview with very few detailed technical questions. Mostly general questions like why do you want to do a PhD, Why join IMEc etc

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in September 2013.

Interview

The Process interview was quite long and slow... The 1st interview is with 2 principal scientists just to meet you and review your expertise by Skype. You don't have to sweat in this interview. Just talk about yourself and your knowledge. The 2nd interview is with the manager who is interested in hiring you and two possible colleagues by skype again. They ask pretty simple stuff but be careful. You cannot hesitate, this should be known 'by hard'. There is no time for analysis and they will not really care if you can derive the answers. Once they sense hesitation or start hinting you, you are out. The 'interview atmosphere' was prettty scientific so be aware that they might ask you if you know some 'recent-relevant' papers in your field from known scientists (i.e. Razavi, etc) These guys are not wasting their time and they will mean it if you are not concise and well prepared. They are not looking for amateurs nor recent grads willing to learn. They expect you already know! Questions in the interview were pretty straight forward: Determine the gain of the circuit, Determine the output voltage swing of the circuit.' What happens if the common mode voltage drops at the input with the current sources? Common Mode Feedback Frequency Response and Noise.

Interview Questions

• What happens if the common mode voltage drops at the input with the current sources? i.e.   Answer Question

Phd Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IMEC (Belgium).

Interview

Two step process. need gre score and toefl score. Nothing very difficult.Questions were only based on my CV and work done before

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult.Questions were only based on my CV and work done before   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ban Phone Savang (Laos)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IMEC (Belgium) (Ban Phone Savang (Laos)) in June 2013.

Interview

2 interveiw the first interview is by phone. 3-4 interviewer ask question. One was hr dept. It was long time about 1 hour.second interview was at beligum leuven

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leuven (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) (Leuven (Belgium)) in May 2013.

Interview

It was via telephone and quite ok. Questions were based on a research project I had done before and so it wasn't so difficult to answer. After that I was given the position.

Graduate Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMEC (Belgium) in June 2012.

Interview

Easy interview. Lasted 20 minutes. No technical question. They asked: - Why IMEC? - Apart from the work described, do you have anything else in mind you would like to do? - How much stipend? - Visa requirements - How long?