IMF

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IMF.

Interview Details – Profile creation, three Interviews, 2-hour test on basic Microsoft office skills, Interviews lasted about 1.5 hours each with pretty basic interview questions on skills, working style, interest, strengths and weaknesses and future goals.

Interview Question – Why are you making the switch from international health sector to finance sector?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IMF.

Interview Details – Was hired from within as vendor. Took 3-4 months. The process of going from vendor to contractor was fraught with a few mis-statements. Basically they changed the rules on us, which is wrong, but then they kind of broke the rule, which then allowed me to work there.

Got panel interview with 3 economists and Excel test after. They asked about macro accounts (BOP and Monetary mostly). Know the basic macroeconomic interactions well. If this happens, then what happens? And if that happens, then what could happen?

Interview Question – If a commodity exporter has a shock, what happens to some of their macro economic indicators?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated 2500 salary increase but probably because I had good information from my contacts (because I worked there as a vendor first). Try to figure out how much they want you, and then emphasize whatever you'd normally mention, plus the fact that as a U.S. citizen you have to pay an extra 7.5% in self-employment taxes (which is like $5,000 extra per year). BE AWARE of this and you won't get screwed. Realize what they offer is $5,000 lower in reality.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at IMF in April 2010.

Interview Details – External Hire - Either wait on HR or you must know someone from the IMF who can pass your resume unto a hiring officer. It would also help to know someone at the IMF to learn about vacancies.

Internal Hire - Must have a wide network of colleagues to learn about vacancies in order to apply and push your resume forward. There are also instances where a job post is already unofficially taken by someone else.

Interview Question – The questions in my experiences have never been difficult   Answer Question

Research Assistant (RAP) Interview

Research Assistant (RAP)
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IMF in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by my four supervisors-- two division chiefs, and two deputy division chiefs. The interview questions were relatively standard. They asked about my former employment, my undergraduate research experience, why I wanted to work for the IMF. There were a few "What do you know about...?" type questions, but they were not difficult.

Interview Question – There were no questions which were particularly unexpected.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IMF.

Interview Details – One on one interview that lasted for about an hour. I was asked the usual questions; why do you want to work here, where do you see yourself in 3 years and the like

Interview Question – Interview was pretty standard. My interviewer did most of the talking.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IMF in July 2012.

Interview Details – The process is quite "dark". The positions are not posted anywhere. I got the interview because a friend worked there and knew somebody in the department, even though I didn't fulfill the requirements.

Typical DC job hunting.

Interview Question – Very Technical interview in general terms.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Economist
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IMF in October 2012.

Interview Details – First round on campus interview
second round on-site panel interview

Interview Question – How you determine whether a 3% of GDP government deficit is too much or too little.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IMF in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online to a position which usually consists of a roster, where they call the qualified candidates, because you have to first pass an online exam to be considered. I had 2 interviews. Both interviews were great, with very professional people. In the first interview they asked about my experience and they asked questions in order to test my competence for that position (they would give me scenarios to test my reactions and my personality). The second interview was with the bosses, obviously because the first interview was successful. They were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable. Received an offer the very same day of the second interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate anything. I agreed to what they offered me, in terms of benefits and salary. Benefits and salary are considerably higher than in the private sector, since it is an international organization.

Excel Support Specialist Interview

Excel Support Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IMF in February 2012.

Interview Details – These are the steps that I went through but did not receive an offer.
Phone Interview with recruiter
Phone interview with potential supervisor
In person interview with recruiter
in person interview with supervisor and panel / excel computer test

Interview Question – When would hlookup or vlookup functions be used in excel?   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

MBA Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IMF in April 2011.

Interview Details – submitted resume on a campus recruiting fair. Got a call for the telephonic interview after 2 weeks. Phone interviews was resume based entirely. Asked each and every detail about the resume bullets. Was asked to submit some documents depicting previous works with tools like visio, power point etc
Was called for final round after a week. Final round was in IMF global headquarters in Washington DC. Its one of the amazing offices I have seen ever!! Same person interviewed me for the final round. It was a very intellectual interview round and was asked detailed questions about the technology used so far, MBA studies and some behavioral. It was 2 hrs long but very calm and did not feel any pressure.
Was given the offer after 3 weeks. Gladly accepted the offer for internship.

Interview Question – Was asked questions about the knowledge management, enterprise architecture etc   Answer Question

Worked for IMF? Contribute to the Community!