IMF

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.2

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IMF in August 2012.

departmental interview with management and economist about past experience and what future holds. How can you help the team and in what ways do you want to grow in the company. do you plan on pursuing more education. takes 30 days for them to process you into the system. you do not work directly with HR as HR only provides salary information and start date.

none

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMF in July 2012.

The process is quite "dark". The positions are not posted anywhere. I got the interview because a friend worked there and knew somebody in the department, even though I didn't fulfill the requirements.

Typical DC job hunting.

Research Assistant (RAP) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IMF in April 2012.

I only had one interview and it was over the phone. Each division is responsible for doing their own hiring of RAPs and has different ways of interviewing people. I knew that they flew some people in to DC for an in-person interview. I had an interview with HR the following day, which was a good sign. I got the offer right away. The questions that they asked me were mostly behavioral. They were looking for someone with strong Excel and STATA bckground, so I made sure to emphasize these two skills during the entire interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. They have a salary standard for all RAs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IMF in March 2012.

Applied online to a position which usually consists of a roster, where they call the qualified candidates, because you have to first pass an online exam to be considered. I had 2 interviews. Both interviews were great, with very professional people. In the first interview they asked about my experience and they asked questions in order to test my competence for that position (they would give me scenarios to test my reactions and my personality). The second interview was with the bosses, obviously because the first interview was successful. They were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable. Received an offer the very same day of the second interview.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate anything. I agreed to what they offered me, in terms of benefits and salary. Benefits and salary are considerably higher than in the private sector, since it is an international organization.

Excel Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IMF in February 2012.

These are the steps that I went through but did not receive an offer.
    Phone Interview with recruiter
    Phone interview with potential supervisor
    In person interview with recruiter
    in person interview with supervisor and panel / excel computer test

Interview Questions
    • When would hlookup or vlookup functions be used in excel?   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IMF in April 2011.

submitted resume on a campus recruiting fair. Got a call for the telephonic interview after 2 weeks. Phone interviews was resume based entirely. Asked each and every detail about the resume bullets. Was asked to submit some documents depicting previous works with tools like visio, power point etc
    Was called for final round after a week. Final round was in IMF global headquarters in Washington DC. Its one of the amazing offices I have seen ever!! Same person interviewed me for the final round. It was a very intellectual interview round and was asked detailed questions about the technology used so far, MBA studies and some behavioral. It was 2 hrs long but very calm and did not feel any pressure.
    Was given the offer after 3 weeks. Gladly accepted the offer for internship.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked questions about the knowledge management, enterprise architecture etc   Answer Question

Research Assistant (RAP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IMF in July 2010.

I was interviewed by my four supervisors-- two division chiefs, and two deputy division chiefs. The interview questions were relatively standard. They asked about my former employment, my undergraduate research experience, why I wanted to work for the IMF. There were a few "What do you know about...?" type questions, but they were not difficult.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions which were particularly unexpected.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IMF in July 2010.

The first communications I received from the IMF was an automated email inviting me to come in to take a typing and Excel proficiency test. The typing test rates candidates based on accuracy and speed; the Excel proficiency test tests you on basic commands (no VBA was required).

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was answering questions about experience that I didn't have. Getting in touch with them after the interview was nearly impossible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at IMF in April 2010.

External Hire - Either wait on HR or you must know someone from the IMF who can pass your resume unto a hiring officer. It would also help to know someone at the IMF to learn about vacancies.

Internal Hire - Must have a wide network of colleagues to learn about vacancies in order to apply and push your resume forward. There are also instances where a job post is already unofficially taken by someone else.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in my experiences have never been difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IMF in September 2009.

Skills test, followed by an applicant pool, followed by a group interview in the group in which you will confirmed or declined by phone.

Interview Questions
    • what is most important skill you have to contribute   View Answer
    • that having a good sense of aptitude is most important in learning new skills and being with a new organization   View Answer