IMF Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at IMF in September 2014.

Was initially called in the afternoon by the HR department asking if I would be free the following afternoon for a telephonic interview. This was in response to the generic online application. I complied and was interviewed, which lasted about 20 minutes. it was a panel interview comprising 3 members of the team including the Director and Assistant Director. They asked me questions regarding my interests. They were able to gauge that I was intellectually interested in the line of work they work in. By now, I did not know what the department was. They also asked me questions based on my coursework, and asked me what I learnt in the different courses, what sort of macroeconmic research skills I had gained in my studies. This interview was followed up with an in person panel interview the following week. Later that week I was told that I was given an offer which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked how one could model and explain risk in stock market (?? - don't exactly remember) and understand its impact on the economy - e.g. on GDP growth. (or something like that - I don't exactly recall)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IMF

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IMF in July 2014.

I applied online and got an email and a call 2 months later. The interview was in DC , with panel composed of the division chief, the deputy division chief and senior hr.
    I was asked:
    Explain real interest rate and expected inflation rate
    Detailed questions on past research projects

Interview Questions
    • not really unexpected/difficult :how do you handle multiple demands / pressure   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IMF in July 2012.

The process is quite "dark". The positions are not posted anywhere. I got the interview because a friend worked there and knew somebody in the department, even though I didn't fulfill the requirements.

Typical DC job hunting.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at IMF.

The hiring process is straightforward and divided into three stepts: 1) resume and cover letter review: for one position they receive hundreds of applicants so it is very competitive; 2) technical test administration: only those short-listed will be administered a general test to assess their knowledge and technical skils; 3) final interview (panel): communication skills, general knowledge, technical knowledge, past esperience are scrutinized. They want to see how you come across, how articulatte and knowledgeable you are.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at IMF.

Interview was a panel. They asked me how good I am with econometric software. I was getting my PhD while applying, so it was not difficult. They had doubts about whether I will stay for the whole year or not. I already have worked with them earlier, so they did not ask too many skill questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult program you have ever wrote. What will keep you motivated in this job?   Answer Question
    Usually no salary negotiation. But I negotiated the start date.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IMF in October 2008.

took a long time for HR to get back to me.