IMF Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an invitation to interview 3 months after the job application. I was interviewed by 4 people. Questions were primarily on how you handle situations and some basic economic and financial concepts. I particularly liked the feedback they gave me right after I answered some of the questions. It took another month after the interview to get a response.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if A asked you to clean the data and B asked you to find the real interest rate of a country, and both of them want the things done by tomorrow?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IMF

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at IMF in September 2014.

Interview

Was initially called in the afternoon by the HR department asking if I would be free the following afternoon for a telephonic interview. This was in response to the generic online application. I complied and was interviewed, which lasted about 20 minutes. it was a panel interview comprising 3 members of the team including the Director and Assistant Director. They asked me questions regarding my interests. They were able to gauge that I was intellectually interested in the line of work they work in. By now, I did not know what the department was. They also asked me questions based on my coursework, and asked me what I learnt in the different courses, what sort of macroeconmic research skills I had gained in my studies. This interview was followed up with an in person panel interview the following week. Later that week I was told that I was given an offer which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how one could model and explain risk in stock market (?? - don't exactly remember) and understand its impact on the economy - e.g. on GDP growth. (or something like that - I don't exactly recall)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email and a call 2 months later. The interview was in DC , with panel composed of the division chief, the deputy division chief and senior hr. I was asked: Explain real interest rate and expected inflation rate Detailed questions on past research projects

Interview Questions

• not really unexpected/difficult :how do you handle multiple demands / pressure   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

The process is quite "dark". The positions are not posted anywhere. I got the interview because a friend worked there and knew somebody in the department, even though I didn't fulfill the requirements. Typical DC job hunting.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF.

Interview

The hiring process is straightforward and divided into three stepts: 1) resume and cover letter review: for one position they receive hundreds of applicants so it is very competitive; 2) technical test administration: only those short-listed will be administered a general test to assess their knowledge and technical skils; 3) final interview (panel): communication skills, general knowledge, technical knowledge, past esperience are scrutinized. They want to see how you come across, how articulatte and knowledgeable you are.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMF.

Interview

Interview was a panel. They asked me how good I am with econometric software. I was getting my PhD while applying, so it was not difficult. They had doubts about whether I will stay for the whole year or not. I already have worked with them earlier, so they did not ask too many skill questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult program you have ever wrote. What will keep you motivated in this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Usually no salary negotiation. But I negotiated the start date.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMF in October 2008.

Interview

took a long time for HR to get back to me.