IMS Health

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Collegeville, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IMS Health in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was a recent college grad when I started applying to IMS. I started by interviewing around March/April then I graduated from college in May and had a job offer before I graduated! I applied to many positions with the company, however due to the large quanitities of resume's they receive it took awhile to hear back for some of the positions. Once they did call it was more waiting game, however I was constantly in contact with one of the recruiters who helped me out and answered any/all of my emails/questions. The process for analyst, consultant, EM, ect is as follows: Phone screening with HR followed by an in person interview consisting of a 45 minute evaluation of a case study, 3 one on one interviews and finally presentation of my case study to the panel of interviewers. On a different positions interview for an analyst position I was asked to perform a few basic excel functions such as pivot tables, filtering, etc infront of a panel of interviewers. After this I was brought in 2 more times to meet other people on the team (it took 2 times because I had to meet with everyone on the team and some were on vacation the first time I was in) This was the position I accepted and I could not be happier! The interview process may be hard and at times frustrating with the waiting, however I have a great salary, great benefits, wonderful team, and am very happy with IMS!!

Interview Question – 1 case study I was asked to evaluate was on an oral cancer drug where I was to evaluate the market place, competition, projected sales, projected market size, etc. Then I was to present all of my findings to the panel that I had previously in the day interview with seperately.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If I wanted to wait longer for my offer then I could have negotiated, however I was very happy with my offer and felt no need to negotiate my salary. Benefits are non-negotiable.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IMS Health in December 2013.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview that lasted about an hour. The first forty minutes or so were dedicated to a pretty easy case study, and the last 15-20 to some generic behavioral questions and why I was interested in the company. They got back to me within the day about coming into the office for an in-person interview.

At the office, I met with 4 people. In the first portion of the interview, I had to write a mock letter. Next was two standard case studies, neither of which were terribly hard, and finally, a behavior interview.

Interview Question – Had to write a mock letter. A hypothetical client was asking some complex questions that would take my team a week or two to answer, and as manager, I had to respond to the client detailing the delay and why.   View Answer

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IMS Health in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. I was asked to fill out a screening questionnaire. After that, I had to pursue the recruiter for months before I could get an interview.

I was informed of the interview process by email. There were supposed to be 2 personal interviews and one case study presentation.

The process was very unprofessional, as two additional interview round was added that were not on the original list. The questions were meant to ask me how much I knew about the pharmaceutical industry. Quite irrelevant since my current profile does not involve knowing much about the industry. The case study was a market sizing case study that had to be presented to the panelists. I started presenting and was told that I had made some incorrect assumptions. I was asked to carry on using my original assumptions, but was always cross questioned on my approach based on what they thought should have been assumed.

I was not given a chance to ask questions to the interviewers.

The interviews went over time by 2 hours. I heard back on the job, a month after I had interviewed.

Interview Question – Many questions were unexpected like how would I rate my pharma industry knowledge on a scale of 1 to 10.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable. I was not happy with the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Collegeville, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IMS Health in September 2011.

Interview Details – IMS Consulting Group is the leader in the pharma consulting industry. Their work is truly amazing and their global reach attracts the biggest clients around the world. It was a 2:1 interview on fit questions only. So candidates really have to see for themselves why they are interested in pharmaceutical and healthcare consulting, because that is all IMS does unlike other strategy consulting firms.

Interview Question – Why IMS Consulting?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at IMS Health in March 2011.

Interview Details – My interview experience with IMS Health was one of the worst ever and I would caution future interviewees to be wary of the interviewing etiquette of this company. There were two interviewers present during my interviewer, and the behavior of one of them (a principal in the company) was nothing short of demeaning. The whole process made me feel devalued and humiliated.

First, he told me that picking my application was a "mistake." Throughout the interview, he would cut me off several times without giving me the chance to fully explain myself. He did this a few times. For example, in response to his question about my strengths, I said, "I value hard work." But he cut me off again and remarked condescendingly, "So do I." When he asked me where I could see myself in a few years' time, I replied, "I think my future career plans can take a variety of forms..." Again, he patronizingly cut me off and insisted he only wanted to hear about one "specific" thing. At this point, it became obvious to me that he was deliberately pushing me into a corner. Later, while I was working on the case study, he got up from his seat, walked around the room and made small talk with his colleague, as if oblivious to my presence.

After considering my nonprofit background (my resume is heavily skewed towards the nonprofit sector) and my professed interest in public service as well as working in the nonprofit sector in the future, the interviewer told me, "We are not going to be helping people here (in our company)." A distasteful remark in the context of everything else.

The interviewer also had inferiority complex issues. At one point during the conversation, I explained I was interested in consulting because as a recent college graduate, I wanted to learn a set of extremely useful skills from a group of smart, intelligent and driven people in the field of consulting. The interviewer, for some reason, took my comment as a personal affront. In response, he *pointed* at his colleague (who graduated from an Ivy League school). For some reason, he thought that my reference to "smart, intelligent and driven people" was tainted with elitist connotations and also somehow precluded him (I believe he graduated from some lower tier college). That was absolutely not my intention, and how he came to that conclusion was simply beyond me.

The interviewers were half an hour behind schedule and my interview was truncated to 20 minutes. They simply assumed they could change their schedules without giving the interviewee any notice.

Their unprofessional behavior was a total embarrassment to IMS Health and reflected negatively on the firm as a whole. When I contacted their HR, all the HR manager told me was that the interview process was "competitive" and that "IMS Consulting is a top tier consulting firm" and the interview was supposed to "assess interest and fit." She went on, "In any interview situation, we recognize that the candidate is also using that time to assess whether or not they are interested in the organization." In any case, she might even be right. If my interview experience is any accurate indication of the IMS Health culture as she proclaims, then I am glad to have seen a preview of it during the interview and to avoid the company altogether. The interviewer should be ashamed of himself for bringing down the company's reputation with his lack of professionalism.

Needless to say, I withdrew my application after the interview.

Interview Question – The question was on proportions.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at IMS Health in February 2011.

Interview Details – One hour phone interview including behavioral questions and a case study with a senior position. The interviewer was nice and did not try to make the interviewee confused or insecure. The case study came after the behavioral questions. If the phone interview goes well, then the applicant is invited to the office site for a second-round full interview (5-hour process).

Interview Question – The case study question was: your client (pharma) wants to introduce a new drug to the market. Given these details about the drug and its competition, what strategy would you take and how successful do you think the new product will be?   Answer Question

Collegeville, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IMS Health in April 2011.

Interview Details – First interviewed on campus- half hour interview w/ behavioral/fit questions; half hour math test. Then second round interview was on site. Began with lunch, where all of the interviewees got a chance to meet and ask current analysts questions about the job. Then 3 half hour to forty-five minutes interviews with 1-2 interviewers each. Also, had to do a case. I was give thirty minutes to read through case and consolidate my results. Then, I presented my results informally (no powerpoint) to a group of about 10 interviewers in 15 minutes with an additional 5 minutes of Q &A

Interview Question – Should Pharma company X acquire biotech company Y when considering the product/market size/etc.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IMS Health in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process initiated through the on-campus recruiting process. We had first round interviews on-campus (2 interviews) and then received a call for a follow-up interview in the office. There, it was a half-day, where you interviewed with 2 separate people, and did a mini-case in the office with a very short presentation.

All in all, I was extremely impressed with the people--everyone was very bright, warm and welcoming. They seemed to have a good office culture, as evidenced by the individuals with whom I interviewed and went to lunch with. It seemed like a very upbeat, fast-paced culture, with a lot of personal development potential.

Interview Question – Here is a case presented in a few slides, with some information. Take some time to review, and then make a few slides on paper with your findings/answers to these questions, and we'll come back in for a mini-presentation.   Answer Question

Parsippany, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IMS Health in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very efficient. I was contacted by a recruiter after I emailed my resume to a senior HR rep. The recruiter interviewed me on the phone and immediately offered to fly me and keep me at the hotel for a second round interview on site. The on-site interview was easy. A few typical consulting behavioral questions along with a case and ppt presentation. The case is slightly different from usual consulting cases. You are given the case on a piece of paper, so you don't have a chance to interact and ask questions to delve deeper into the case. Overall it was easy. I was first told that I would know the results in a week, then two weeks, then three and finally I called in on the fourth week and was told that they couldn't place me now, so would keep me in their stock.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where a client came and suggested you do things differently when you are way into the project.   Answer Question
  • Name a time when a group member wasn't doing his or her task properly.   Answer Question

Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at IMS Health in January 2007.

Interview Details – The interview started in a group setting where you and about 4 others work on a PowerPoint presentation. I was then interviewed by a panel of three people in a separate room for about 30 minutes. The questions were pretty general and more focused on more background and interest in the company. The presentation was a case study analysis on how to address a company's organizational needs, followed by Q&A by the interview team. Overall, it was about 3 to 4 hours, but it went pretty smoothly.

Interview Question – How many clients do you currently manage for your current position?   View Answer

Worked for IMS Health? Contribute to the Community!