ING

Getting the Interview

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ING in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process started off with a phone interview in which you talk to a senior advisor. This lasted about 30 minutes and was very simple. The advisor talks you through a powerpoint which describes the job, pay, etc. They will ask you some simple questions such as why you are interested in the position and why you think you would be good at it. After this, they will invite you to come to their office for a final interview. This starts off with the VP giving a talk to a room full of candidates. When he is finished you will have your personal interview.

Interview Question – There are no questions that I found surprising. The most important thing is to be able to articulate yourself. He really wanted to see that I was self motivated and could handle a job that is strictly commission.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position was entirely comission based and I didn't want to start with that out of college in a new city.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ING in October 2013.

Interview Details – I found out about ING through a school career fair and went to an information session a week later. After the information session I signed up for an interview. During the first interview they just want to know why ING, what you can offer the company etc. I was invited back for a second interview a few weeks later and was asked similar types of questions, though I found my second interviewer to be a bit more tough. Both interviews lasted about 45min, I was offered a job the day after my second interview.

Interview Question – Nothing extremely difficult, but I lacked a financial background so they were very interested in my justification for switching career paths. All the people I met in the office were extremely friendly and outgoing so I think that helps put candidates at ease. They seemed to care most about your communication skills and abilities to argue/ justify your answers rather than necessarily finding a "correct" answer.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ING.

Interview Details – I had interview through campus recruiting, and acquired final interview for ING financial partners. The process was simple.

Interview Question – What is your biggest liability?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Philadelphia, PA

Interview Details – Met a representative from ING at a university career fair, and signed up for a group info session. I then signed up for an interview with a sales manager who was really great and helpful answering my questions about the position. Was asked back for another interview with the VP of the area. Both interviews weren't bad, the first one was 45 min, and the second was shorter.

Interview Question – Write a marketing plan for your natural client base.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ING in October 2013.

Interview Details – Met at career fair went in for information session and signed up for interview after. First interview with a manager normal questions, "Why ING?, Why did you pick your school?, What do you have to offer?" Got called back for a second interview with VP, manager and someone sitting in and got offered the job about a week later with a week to accept or decline.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, the offer is commission -- went in to date papers but not sign until after graduation.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ING.

Interview Details – The Interview process was relatively easy and straightforward.

Interview Question – What are some of your weakness?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ING in December 2012.

Interview Details – Have a meeting that tells you about the job expectations and what they are looking for. This is with 10 other people that you are competing with to get hired. Then after the meeting you schedule your interview for the next day. You meet with a lower level employee and the interview last about ten minutes. All the questions are around work ethic and who you know.

Interview Question – How many people that make over 100,000 dollars do you know?   Answer Question

Tysons Corner, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at ING in February 2013.

Interview Details – Called in for a initial interview. It turned out to be a info session with a group of candidates for the company and the position. The VP who did the presentation was pretty intelligent and aggressive on what was expected for the new entries since he came from a sales background. After the info session, candidates were offered to schedule the first interview if interested. I did not feel like going further because it seemed like you-learn-by-yourself kind of job and the commission made up a big portion of the pay.

Interview Question – No question at the info session. But the VP mention you will be asked to make a initial marketing plan in your natural client pool.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Tysons Corner, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at ING in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial conversation was over the phone and asked generic question about your resume/life. They then invite you into the office. Many people were huddled into a room and gave you the pitch on the life of an financial advisor. It seemed tough, but pays off in long run. Take anyone and from there its luck/who wants it more.

Interview Question – No technical questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the right career path for me at the time.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at ING.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview and then a group session shortly after, session was with about half a dozen other potentials. Very slick presentation, hyped up the positives and potential of working for ING but seemed to avoid any negatives besides "you gotta work for it." Basic financial advising framework and setup.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ING

Worked for ING? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ING Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 32 interview reviews posted anonymously by ING employees and interview candidates.