ING Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.7

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ING.

Interview

Initial phone interview and then a group session shortly after, session was with about half a dozen other potentials. Very slick presentation, hyped up the positives and potential of working for ING but seemed to avoid any negatives besides "you gotta work for it." Basic financial advising framework and setup.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ING (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

they gonna come up with team interiew first and secong they gonna ask you to build a marketing plan to promote their product

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ING (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2013.

Interview

online interview, then a phone interview. second round interview was a group interview. finally you had a interview with a manager.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ING (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

The man who interviewed me in the Jersey City office was not friendly and had difficulty speaking coherent english.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ING.

Interview

looking to add some clarity to the interview process on here, due to the fact it seems most don't really know what they're talking about. applied for the job on career builder and received a call from the recruiter a couple days later. set up a time for the career preview and was really impressed with the presentation. "it's the best job for the right person" was a common theme throughout. I later had an initial interview w/ a manager and then a final interview with the VP of the office. For the final interview, I needed a marketing plan and a system of how I would go about growing my business.

Now to comment on some of the misleading posts below me regarding the interview process and the job. The career preview is there to tell you more about the position, just because Financial Advising/Planning in general is much different than other financial jobs out there (analyst, i banking, etc) The VP tells you if you are a hard-working self-reliant individual, and can take rejection early on, you can make it in the career and the results will be rewarding. I can at least speak for the office I'm at... roughly 20-30% of first round interviews get passed, and then about the same % of the second round candidates receive the job offer.

The fact you have to bring a marketing plan to the final interview felt a little weird to me at first, but during that time I was also in the interview process with Prudential and they asked me to do the same thing. I would later find out after my offer from Ameriprise that they also do the same thing (after you start the job). It's commonplace in the industry because there are obviously struggles early on, and natural market has a much higher conversion rate. It's also known throughout the industry that you can have someone with all the potential in the world, but since it is a commission job, someone can only go so long putting in 50-60 hour work weeks without getting paid. (there is a draw/bonus of $31,200 for the first two years at ING but not a true salary). A decent natural market isn't necessary but can play a big part starting off your career.

What's important to know is that you are an INDEPENDENT financial advisor being affiliated with ING, so there are affiliation fees. This is typical of any INDEPENDENT financial advisor job, but with this there's obviously major advantages. Since you're not technically an employee, every client you get is yours to keep, no matter if you were to move to another firm down the road or open your own shop as you get more experience. The second major advantage is that you're not limited to just ING products, you can use anything out there. ING has great LI and a few good annuities, but they'll be honest with you that they're other products aren't the greatest. It's a huge advantage when dealing with clients who currently have an advisor who can only use proprietary products. For ex. an advisor at Chase would be limited to J.P. Morgan investments/products, even if they aren’t best for the client. Being to pick and choose from the best investment vehicles is not only a big advantage for you but more beneficial for the client Also, all the clients that advisor at chase has are not his actual clients, they are clients of chase. If he were to leave to work somewhere else, or want to open up his own firm, they'd all stay with chase.

yes they make you pay for all the study materials up-front, but as long as you pass the tests on the first try you get reimbursed and then some. Also something to consider is that other firms that offer a salary, your cut on commissions will be much lower, you'll have a quota to reach by the end of the year or you're fired, and you'll be cold calling all day. There is NO cold-calling at ING. They just don't believe in it. There are better things to be done during that time like train you as an advisor/planner. You market during the week/weekends which is paid for by ING, then call those leads at certain times throughout the week (usually in the evening).

At the end of the day, if you're a hard working individual who is interested in finance, want to make more than all your friends w/ salary jobs and help people out along the way... it's a great job for you.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in becoming a Financial Advisor? (pick someone random from your natural market) Give me an example of a phone call to them talking about the job.   Answer Question

Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ING (Windsor, CT).

Interview

Had an initial interview with the hiring manager and a peer. Was called back for the second and met with four individuals. The second round was not a pleasant experience and showed the reasons why I didn't want to work there. One guy in the interview asked if I was married and had kids. Very awkward. Another interviewer did not seem to like me from the handshake. I could tell it was not a professional place. Seemed very disorganized. Half way through the second round I was saying that I would not want to work there.

Interview Questions

• Are you married? Answer - yes. Do you have kids. Answer - yes.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

First interview consists of a career preview where you are told a highly glamorized description of the job. Next you can sign up for an interview with a manager and if you pass that you have a final interview with the branch head. If you can speak coherently you have a very good chance of getting an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ING (Tysons Corner, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial conversation was over the phone and asked generic question about your resume/life. They then invite you into the office. Many people were huddled into a room and gave you the pitch on the life of an financial advisor. It seemed tough, but pays off in long run. Take anyone and from there its luck/who wants it more.

Interview Questions

Not the right career path for me at the time.

Financial Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ING (Bellevue, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screen with a recruiter followed by a group interview that is really more of a sales pitch (think Ben Affleck in Boiler Room). After this you are given the opportunity to return for an interview with a senior financial adviser where you present them with a business plan detailing how you plan to attract clients.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ING (Boston, MA).

Interview

Interview Process-

An information session with a regional manager outlining the potential client acquisition path.
    First round interview with another adviser (mostly behavioral stuff)
    Final interview with manager asking about your potential to acquire clients

Interview Questions

• Bring 30 people on a spreadsheet who you could acquire as clients   Answer Question

Too much pressure to acquire clients in your first year out. Don't get paid until you get some business and very little at that.