ING Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.7

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ING in June 2013.

online interview, then a phone interview. second round interview was a group interview. finally you had a interview with a manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ING.

The man who interviewed me in the Jersey City office was not friendly and had difficulty speaking coherent english.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ING.

looking to add some clarity to the interview process on here, due to the fact it seems most don't really know what they're talking about. applied for the job on career builder and received a call from the recruiter a couple days later. set up a time for the career preview and was really impressed with the presentation. "it's the best job for the right person" was a common theme throughout. I later had an initial interview w/ a manager and then a final interview with the VP of the office. For the final interview, I needed a marketing plan and a system of how I would go about growing my business.

Now to comment on some of the misleading posts below me regarding the interview process and the job. The career preview is there to tell you more about the position, just because Financial Advising/Planning in general is much different than other financial jobs out there (analyst, i banking, etc) The VP tells you if you are a hard-working self-reliant individual, and can take rejection early on, you can make it in the career and the results will be rewarding. I can at least speak for the office I'm at... roughly 20-30% of first round interviews get passed, and then about the same % of the second round candidates receive the job offer.

The fact you have to bring a marketing plan to the final interview felt a little weird to me at first, but during that time I was also in the interview process with Prudential and they asked me to do the same thing. I would later find out after my offer from Ameriprise that they also do the same thing (after you start the job). It's commonplace in the industry because there are obviously struggles early on, and natural market has a much higher conversion rate. It's also known throughout the industry that you can have someone with all the potential in the world, but since it is a commission job, someone can only go so long putting in 50-60 hour work weeks without getting paid. (there is a draw/bonus of $31,200 for the first two years at ING but not a true salary). A decent natural market isn't necessary but can play a big part starting off your career.

What's important to know is that you are an INDEPENDENT financial advisor being affiliated with ING, so there are affiliation fees. This is typical of any INDEPENDENT financial advisor job, but with this there's obviously major advantages. Since you're not technically an employee, every client you get is yours to keep, no matter if you were to move to another firm down the road or open your own shop as you get more experience. The second major advantage is that you're not limited to just ING products, you can use anything out there. ING has great LI and a few good annuities, but they'll be honest with you that they're other products aren't the greatest. It's a huge advantage when dealing with clients who currently have an advisor who can only use proprietary products. For ex. an advisor at Chase would be limited to J.P. Morgan investments/products, even if they aren’t best for the client. Being to pick and choose from the best investment vehicles is not only a big advantage for you but more beneficial for the client Also, all the clients that advisor at chase has are not his actual clients, they are clients of chase. If he were to leave to work somewhere else, or want to open up his own firm, they'd all stay with chase.

yes they make you pay for all the study materials up-front, but as long as you pass the tests on the first try you get reimbursed and then some. Also something to consider is that other firms that offer a salary, your cut on commissions will be much lower, you'll have a quota to reach by the end of the year or you're fired, and you'll be cold calling all day. There is NO cold-calling at ING. They just don't believe in it. There are better things to be done during that time like train you as an advisor/planner. You market during the week/weekends which is paid for by ING, then call those leads at certain times throughout the week (usually in the evening).

At the end of the day, if you're a hard working individual who is interested in finance, want to make more than all your friends w/ salary jobs and help people out along the way... it's a great job for you.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in becoming a Financial Advisor? (pick someone random from your natural market) Give me an example of a phone call to them talking about the job.   Answer Question

Audit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ING.

Had an initial interview with the hiring manager and a peer. Was called back for the second and met with four individuals. The second round was not a pleasant experience and showed the reasons why I didn't want to work there. One guy in the interview asked if I was married and had kids. Very awkward. Another interviewer did not seem to like me from the handshake. I could tell it was not a professional place. Seemed very disorganized. Half way through the second round I was saying that I would not want to work there.

Interview Questions
    • Are you married? Answer - yes. Do you have kids. Answer - yes.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

First interview consists of a career preview where you are told a highly glamorized description of the job. Next you can sign up for an interview with a manager and if you pass that you have a final interview with the branch head. If you can speak coherently you have a very good chance of getting an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ING in March 2013.

Initial conversation was over the phone and asked generic question about your resume/life. They then invite you into the office. Many people were huddled into a room and gave you the pitch on the life of an financial advisor. It seemed tough, but pays off in long run. Take anyone and from there its luck/who wants it more.

Interview Questions

Not the right career path for me at the time.

Financial Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ING in March 2013.

Initial phone screen with a recruiter followed by a group interview that is really more of a sales pitch (think Ben Affleck in Boiler Room). After this you are given the opportunity to return for an interview with a senior financial adviser where you present them with a business plan detailing how you plan to attract clients.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ING.

Interview Process-

An information session with a regional manager outlining the potential client acquisition path.
    First round interview with another adviser (mostly behavioral stuff)
    Final interview with manager asking about your potential to acquire clients

Interview Questions
    • Bring 30 people on a spreadsheet who you could acquire as clients   Answer Question

Too much pressure to acquire clients in your first year out. Don't get paid until you get some business and very little at that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ING in February 2013.

3 step process
    1)group presentation where the "VP" comes in and tells you how hard the position is and how you will have to sell financial plans to friends and family.
    2)one on one interview where they go over their system of compensation. No salary, all commission. They write it down on a piece of paper and I get the feeling that they do not even understand the system.
    3) final interview with the VP where you have to bring in a marketing plan for yourself and identify all the people you are going to target to sell to. Then you ask a bunch of standard interview questions. Come prepared for questions of your own.

NOTE: Beware that you also find out that to work there you need to pass your series 6, 7,66, LAH or combination. They also say you will be compensated for the exams but only if you score a 98% or better on them (not easy) or you bring in a certain amount of business in the first few weeks of employment. You also find out that as an "independent contractor" you have to license the ING name personally, pay for their office space, and your own insurance (they pay the first year of insurance) in any case you are looking at starting the month owing ING several hundred dollars! Plus as a contractor get ready to contribute more to social security/taxes/ and pay your own health insurance.

Interview Questions

Not the kind of system I wanted to get into. If you do not have a large pool of people to sell to, be prepared to struggle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at ING in February 2013.

Called in for a initial interview. It turned out to be a info session with a group of candidates for the company and the position. The VP who did the presentation was pretty intelligent and aggressive on what was expected for the new entries since he came from a sales background. After the info session, candidates were offered to schedule the first interview if interested. I did not feel like going further because it seemed like you-learn-by-yourself kind of job and the commission made up a big portion of the pay.

Interview Questions
    • No question at the info session. But the VP mention you will be asked to make a initial marketing plan in your natural client pool.   Answer Question