ION Trading Client Services Interview Questions

2.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ION Trading in March 2013.

Referred by recruiter. Logic test then sit down interviews with several different employees ranging from analysts to managers to COO. Interview process was pretty simple and straightfoward. Most of the questions were general finance questions (What is a bond? What types of risk are there?) or simply asking if you had technical experience ( Do you know SQL? Do you know linux?)

Some logic questions were asked to see how you approach problems.

Interview Questions
  • All were pretty simple/straightfoward. Recruiter also was able to provide the basic questions which would be asked   Answer Question

salary is well below market

Other Interview Reviews for ION Trading

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ION Trading in August 2010.

It was a very fair and laid back interview. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and it was very straight forward questions. "What do we do here at ion trading", "your strengths and weaknesses", "why you believe ion trading would be a good fit for you". Be sure to know their "core" business deals in fixed income. The website gives just about every asset class, but fixed income is the major focus although the do deal with some commodities and equities. Keeping with fixed incomes be sure to be prepared to answer questions about bonds. I was a bit taken aback that this was expected to be very knowledgable with otherwise I would have brushed up on it before the interview. Know what a bond is, positives and negatives of using bonds, what purchase price of a bond is. Also, know what accrued interest is and be prepared to give examples. Most of us with business related degrees (myself included) have gone over all of this information, but if you have been out of school for a while be sure to go over this information again. Finally, the "logic" test. I had no idea what kind of test I would be given, but after taking the test it is an IQ test that you can prepare for online by typing in keyword IQ test or employment IQ test. Was not hard however I spent too much time on a few questions and did not finish the test before time was up. Practicing an online IQ test will ensure you do really well and I found one IQ test that actually tells you why certain questions you answer are right or wrong so you do not make the same mistake. I hope this helped and best of luck :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at ION Trading in May 2010.

The first interview was an IQ test, 20+ questions in a 30 minute time frame. If you're good with IQ tests, you will find this test to be a breeze like I did. The second interview was quite an experience for me. It was the first time I've ever been interviewed by people in another city via a video conference call. This unsettled me a little, but I'm not sure if will hurt or help me. The interview consisted of fairly standard questions, plus some skills questions (ex. what are the risks with this, what would you do in this situation, what does this term mean...). Its hard not to do well on the standard questions, but I recommend people prepare for the skills questions so you don't have regrets like I do. The questions they asked me were EASY! I know the answers, but on the spot I didn't perform well.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to you disgruntled customer in an email?   Answer Question

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online - interviewed at ION Trading in March 2013.

First was a phone interview from HR, standard questions about past experience, what I can bring to the role, what is my biggest weakness, etc. I was also asked my age, which I did not appreciate.

Next was a face to face interview, beginning with a 30 minute aptitude test, standard series of shapes and number patterns, etc., then a short multiple choice quiz on how to execute certain tasks in Linux shell. After that was a video link interview with the Client Services manager. It was explained that this was the first of three face interviews, the next would be a presentation on a finance topic and video interview with HR lady in the UK. The final face interview would be with the director of the company. That struck me as a little overkill for a customer support role.

The interview lasted 2 hours, at the end of which the interviewer on the video screen wasn't interested in acknowledging me until I offered a "thank you, good bye".

Interview Questions
    • Half way she appeared to lose interest/patience when I couldn't verbalise the specific SQL code required to extract some hypothetical data, wearing a pained expression as if I was just too much trouble to bare. The question was literally phrased like "how would you get John Smith's data from the database" and wasn't happy when I asked for clearer parameters. (SQL knowledge was not mentioned in the job description, by the way).

At the end of the interview I was asked about my knowledge of financial securities, I feel I went above and beyond in explaining the technicalities of options and bonds, more than what would normally be expected from someone starting in that role. Feedback after the interview was that I had "no finance background".
        Answer Question

Worked for ION Trading? Contribute to the Community!