ION Trading

ION Trading Interview Questions

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

Client Support Analyst Interview

Not really worth it. The interviewer was straight to the point with her questions, but as I learned more about the job position, I honestly did not want it. She was explaining it to me for a long time and it is basically just a customer service job like answering phone calls and helping people troubleshoot

Graduate Program Analyst Interview

Applied through school website. interview was one hour long split into two separate interviews both 30 minutes. They really talked up the CEO and how he is always the smartest guy in the room

Interview Questions
    • What is a bond? How would you price it? What is SQL and related questions? What is the difference between an application server and a data base server?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ION Trading.

First there was a resume screen, then phone screen, following up with two hiring managers in the in-person interview. There was a timed IQ Logic test and general programming test with 60 questions that needs to be finished within 60 minutes.

You get the feeling there already know who they want to and not want to hire before the interview begins and guides the interview accordingly. You are being watched or recorded during the first 60 minute exam as I saw three screens in front of me during the exam process displaying me taking the exam for the first 5 minutes. Not sure if this is a normal thing companies do but personally it creeps me out.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what is the difference between a Bond and a Equity   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ION Trading.

Contacted by recruiter - interview took place within one week

Interview Questions
    • Brain Teasers - Ex. You have a 4 and 7 minute hourglass... need to get exactly 9 minutes
      Also asked few questions on SQL and fixed income instruments

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ION Trading in March 2013.

Referred by recruiter. Logic test then sit down interviews with several different employees ranging from analysts to managers to COO. Interview process was pretty simple and straightfoward. Most of the questions were general finance questions (What is a bond? What types of risk are there?) or simply asking if you had technical experience ( Do you know SQL? Do you know linux?)

Some logic questions were asked to see how you approach problems.

Interview Questions
    • All were pretty simple/straightfoward. Recruiter also was able to provide the basic questions which would be asked   Answer Question

salary is well below market

Junior Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ION Trading in July 2012.

The process started off with a pre-interview coding test. Nothing out of the ordinary, just writing a Java class for checking whether two strings are anagrams and another that implemented a HashMap that doesn't allow duplicate values. It took me maybe an hour to finish.

About a week later, their recruiter called me back to tell me I'd passed the pre-interview test, and that next would be a phone interview with the team lead. Another week or so later, the team lead called me. No interview scheduled, he just called me out of the blue at 4:50 on a Wednesday.

Aside from that, he was unbelievably rude: it was less an interview than him berating me for not being smart enough, in his eyes, to work at ION and ranting about how amazing and smart he and his team were. After about 10 minutes of him talking about how smart he thinks he is, how hard their tech interviews are, and how he doesn't think I could pass them, I reminded him that I passed their coding test and asked if I actually was going to have the technical interview, which made him say something like "you know what? You aren't worth my time" and hang up. Good riddance, especially considering how he acted towards me.

Interview Questions
    • Write a UniqueHashMapClass, which should extend the regular HashMap class with the added condition that no value appears twice in a UniqueHashMap.   View Answer

Client Services Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at ION Trading in April 2012.

The position was an entry level Client Services Support role, however the interviewer asked questions which a beginner would never understand in regards to the Fixed Income market. In addition, the salary being offered for the role was ridiculously low for NYC standards. There was an IQ test component which was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. I guess this company wants to hire geniuses and pay them next to nothing on top of it. On top of that they throw out a contractual agreement which restricts you from working for any of their clients or competitors (which pretty much covers all the major Banks). It felt like a sweatshop, which is great for experience but absolutely horrible for growth.

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at ION Trading in February 2012.

An IQ and skills test right off the bat. After that, an 1 on 1 interview heavily focused on bonds and other financial products.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ION Trading in August 2010.

It was a very fair and laid back interview. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and it was very straight forward questions. "What do we do here at ion trading", "your strengths and weaknesses", "why you believe ion trading would be a good fit for you". Be sure to know their "core" business deals in fixed income. The website gives just about every asset class, but fixed income is the major focus although the do deal with some commodities and equities. Keeping with fixed incomes be sure to be prepared to answer questions about bonds. I was a bit taken aback that this was expected to be very knowledgable with otherwise I would have brushed up on it before the interview. Know what a bond is, positives and negatives of using bonds, what purchase price of a bond is. Also, know what accrued interest is and be prepared to give examples. Most of us with business related degrees (myself included) have gone over all of this information, but if you have been out of school for a while be sure to go over this information again. Finally, the "logic" test. I had no idea what kind of test I would be given, but after taking the test it is an IQ test that you can prepare for online by typing in keyword IQ test or employment IQ test. Was not hard however I spent too much time on a few questions and did not finish the test before time was up. Practicing an online IQ test will ensure you do really well and I found one IQ test that actually tells you why certain questions you answer are right or wrong so you do not make the same mistake. I hope this helped and best of luck :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ION Trading in May 2010.

The first interview was an IQ test, 20+ questions in a 30 minute time frame. If you're good with IQ tests, you will find this test to be a breeze like I did. The second interview was quite an experience for me. It was the first time I've ever been interviewed by people in another city via a video conference call. This unsettled me a little, but I'm not sure if will hurt or help me. The interview consisted of fairly standard questions, plus some skills questions (ex. what are the risks with this, what would you do in this situation, what does this term mean...). Its hard not to do well on the standard questions, but I recommend people prepare for the skills questions so you don't have regrets like I do. The questions they asked me were EASY! I know the answers, but on the spot I didn't perform well.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to you disgruntled customer in an email?   Answer Question