IRS Contact Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.1

Contact Representative Interview

Interview

Rotating Panel Interview- Go to a station, answer a question, go to the next station; there were about 40 people interviewing in this fashion, and we went in groups of maybe 7 or 8 to rotate through the different interview stations.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone who is threatening suicide?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process begins with completing an online application through usajobs.gov. The next step is an email will be submitted to applicant indicating eligibility status and request for any online assessments to be completed. If assessments are passed then applicant is contacted for an in-person phone assessment and interview. The phone assessment has to be passed before moving on to the interview which is an interview before a panel of three.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer that calls in yelling and upset about their tax liability?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

Long process, the questions easy and to the point. It was over the phone and short. The response time was within a week. You will receive an offer through email and directed to the career connect site.

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Applied the end of august. It's mid September and I just got offered position after having to complete an online assessment, tap assessment, and interview. Must pass back ground check and criminal record.

Interview Questions

• Questions were the same Genreal questions at any interview. How would you handle conflict? What would you so if you didn't know something? Etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is NO NEGOTIATION. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Portland, OR) in October 2013.

Interview

Getting through to the interview was very interesting indeed. The testing process was basic and thorough. Do your research on internet and you should get through their process. The whole process takes months of waiting, and then a flurry of process, and back to waiting. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• The interview itself was four basic questions asking how you would deal with specific call situations. Very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

It was very lengthy( about a 6 month process). There was a phone test, finger printing, and an interview. During the process you will be brought in with other candidates to go over your application. You must include every job within the given range and be totally honest because they will dig deep within your background. You could be fired a year after working there for not being completely honest on the application. I saw it happen to a co-worker. The interview was very laid back. The questions were mostly to determine if you could handle difficult customers and not be afraid to follow the policies and procedures.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult. They will ask you to describe you experience and your plans for the future.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. The pay is straightforward and predetermined based on your grade level.

Contact Representative Interview

Interview

They post the job, you apply, a couple months later you get an email (check your spam!) telling you to take an online assessment. If you pass, they contact you to come to the federal building for fingerprints, paperwork, and interview. While there they have you sit in one of the cubicles and take a call from someone (another manager maybe???) in a sort of role playing thing.

Interview Questions

• Before you took the evaluation calls, you were given a number in order to log in to the phone. What was that number called?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Completed the online application two days before announcement expired, received a call to complete fingerprinting two months later, received a call to complete computer/practice call assessment a month afterwards and received an offer for employment about three months after the assessment.

Interview Questions

• There was NO interview back in 2006 for contact reps. You have to complete an assessment on a computer taking phone calls from a recruiter that you cannot see. They did not want to see if you would have the right answers necessarily...but rather, if HOW you answered them and followed directions. TIP: They are always monitoring your professionalism. Most of the escorts are actually MANAGERS so behave professionally, dress well and act as if someone is watching you at all times (because they are). 4 years later, I became a Lead / Manager and know first hand. Best wishes   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was NO negotiation at the time. Now, they base it on your education/experience level and you WILL be measured up to your abilities later on.

Anonymous Employee in Holtsville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Holtsville, NY).

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later went in for pre-employment meeting with about 30 others. Piles of paperwork. Then set up another appointment for a telephone assessment and quick interview.

Interview Questions

• During the phone assessment they purposefully try to mess you up. A little pressure, but totally doable.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, set times and salaries.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

applied online in august, received email a couple weeks later prompting me to undergo an online simulation that would be graded. received followup a couple weeks later inviting me for interview.

Interview Questions

• Because it is the IRS, part of the interview is an extensive background checl   Answer Question