IRS Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Chamblee, GA).

Interview

Tough and intrusive. Background search. Behavioral questions and Brain teaser type questions along personal border line questions all in group multiple questions fill in the black check off the box type questionnaire forms in a group of 45 people for several hours at a time. The training once hired was incredibly difficult as well.

Interview Questions

• What I expected out of the IRS within 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Grueling

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Easy interview, need to fulfill minimum requirements then take an online test to see how well you read and comprehend material, background checks and if bilingual need to pass a language proficiency test.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with screaming customers or stressful environments?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, this is government, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IRS (Fresno, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Easy Process online skills test

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Accepted original offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Long from the time of applying an getting a email response but they are reviewing shortening the process.

Interview Questions

• No real intense questions asked you just have to remember its the government an anything negative in your background can possible cause for the interview process to be stalled or stopped.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation your shift is already decided upon & skills test an resume pretty much determines your grade (pay). Clean background no felonys, no previous tax issue, & no previous employer disciplinary issues on file.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Portland, OR) in August 2011.

Interview

It technically was not a panel interview though be prepared for multiple interviewers. You would have an interviewer ask you 3 to 5 questions and then move on to another interviewer. There were a total of 4 interviewers. The questions were general skill and background questions. There was an emphasis placed on your ability to comply with procedures, law, confidentiality and difficult customers. None of the questions dealt with knowledge of tax law.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA) in November 2010.

Interview

The hiring process took such a long time (4-6 months). To my surprise, there was no formal interview with a recruiter or manager probably due to the fact that they were hiring 200 people. Most communications were by email: invite to take customer service test, background check, etc.

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiations regarding the pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IRS (Ogden, UT) in October 2010.

Interview

Went very well . HR staff was very polite and worked fast to get it all done

Interview Questions

Negotiation

we were not given a chance to negotiate. we accepted the pay as outlined

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IRS (Andover, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

First there is an online test taken over the internet. If you score high enough on the test you will receive a call a couple weeks later. Then you come into the service center for a TAPS test. You will be given a packet with 4 possible people who might call you. Then you get one practice phone call followed by the real graded phone call. You need to use the information in front of you to answer the 3-4 questions that you will be asked. Everyone is given the same scenario for fairness in grading but they won't tell you that until after all interviewees are finished.

Interview Questions

• Questions range from: When will I get my refund? When will I have to make payments? What penalties might I face?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Memphis, TN) in January 2010.

Interview

It was short and simple.