IRS

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Chico, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at IRS in April 2009.

Interview Details – Long, tedious, never know what is going on.

Interview Question – No hard or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Argos, IN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IRS in September 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process was great! I was interviewed over the phone by approximately 5 people. They contacted me by phone the next day, and said that I had the job.

Interview Question – I don't remember that there was a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the salary.

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS in January 2009.

Interview Details – Aplicación, exam, interview, hire proccess

Interview Question – Situational questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internal Revenue Agent

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS in July 2009.

Interview Details – The application process was easy but very lengthy. It took the IRS almost two months to contact me after I had submitted all the required paper work and documents. The salary that the IRS started me off with was laughable.

Interview Question – The most unexpected part of the application process was the background check. I had to list each and every place that I had lived over the past 7 years. Since I was just out of college I had to list every dorm room and house that I had lived in while I was in school. I couldn't recall exact room or dorm numbers and the IRS took that as suspicious, which I thought was quite ridiculous.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at IRS in June 2011.

Interview Details – internal

New York, NY

The process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS in December 2009.

Interview Details – Were asked scenario based questions and how I would handle them. Use common sense and you will do fine. The entire process is incredibly frustrating though because I applied for the position in Sept 09, interviewed in Dec 09 and did not receive and offer until mid feb 10...

Interview Question – What would you do in this situation, etc etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you are currently employed in the accounting industry there is room for negotiations but if you are not then you cannot negotiate

Waco, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS in July 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed in Austin for a position in Waco, TX. When I arrived I was greeted by a friendly recruiter who brought me and another recruit into a conference room. We were given information packets and allowed to ask questions. The other recruit was interviewing for another location, so he was taken to one room and I to another. There, I met with two supervisors from the Waco office. The interview makes sense. They asked me two questions that were pertinent to the position. They didn't ask any of those crazy open-ended "tell me about you" questions. They took notes quickly as I talked about what I would do in these hypothetical situations. When I was done, we talked for a few moments about my University (one was an alumni) and they confirmed I was interested in Waco. It was a short, efficient interview. Think about what an IRS Revenue Agent does before you answer the questions. I did a lot of research about the job before I went for the interview, so I felt very confident I understood what the job really is. Remember, we are to be customer-service driven... polite and empathetic... however, we still have a job to do.

For anyone looking to go to the IRS, expect it to take a very long time. I applied for the position in May, took the assessment in June, and interviewed in early July. I heard back yesterday, nearly 3 weeks after my interview, that they were going to be extending me an offer.

Interview Question – Not allowed to disclose questions. You will be given different questions than I was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't an ability to negotiate. Pay is based on the OPM pay scales for your locality. It is less than I have been offered with other companies, but if you look at the TOTAL compensation package it is quite competitive. The stability is excellent, the work-life balance is unmatched, and the benefits are fantastic.

Internal Revenue Agent

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – USA Jobs is the portal for applying for federal government positions. Application process involves submission of various documents and online resume completion. Interview process involves panel of approx three managers. Questions are asked in round robin fashion. Unlike an interview at a private company, there is usually little follow up to questions. This is probably because in order to keep the interviews the same for all applicants, they can't do much "off-script" questioning. Once hired, there is a mandatory tax audit for all applicants as well as a background check. In addition, IRS special agents will interview your current and former neihbors to verify that you are who you say you are and that you are not involved in illegal or sketchy behaior. That step always freaks people out but I have never heard of it being a problem. Most are like, yeah, I think I have seen that guy mowing his lawn...

Interview Question – Questions are very standard. The only thing that might trip someone from the "outside" up is that there is a lot of terminology used in the IRS that might be different from the private sector. Just make sure you ask for clarification if a term or acromym is thrown out that you are not familiar with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Internal Revenue Agent

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS in July 2010.

Interview Details – Although IRS states that you do not have to have experience preparing income tax reports you do have to have good knowledge and understanding on individual taxes because the online simulation test is based on taxes. The position I applied will work with small businesses / owned employed individuals. I answered most of the questions in interview with common sense answers and I did not pass the interview although I get on the superior category based on my online simulation test.

Interview Question – As an IRS Revenue Agent, how would you procede if one of your friends have $50,000 to invest in a company that you know is not a profitable business and asks your advice?   View Answer

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!