IRS Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

2.6

Contact Representative Interview

Interview

Rotating Panel Interview- Go to a station, answer a question, go to the next station; there were about 40 people interviewing in this fashion, and we went in groups of maybe 7 or 8 to rotate through the different interview stations.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone who is threatening suicide?   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IRS (Portland, OR).

Interview

Had received a letter of acceptance after having group interview in which their was some general testing after that received letter in email. Appointment was at place where work was done. Instructor explained the job process and we took as a group tests at the end of the day. There were about 20 people in the room that day. Afterwards I did not see anyone from my group in the training so many were not offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on pay.

Management & Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview was very smooth, since I was coming from another Federal agency. I was interviewed by my to-be supervisor. I was complemented on the quality of my resume and was asked if I created it--I had.

Interview Questions

• Why did I change jobs so much over the course of five years in a single company?   1 Answer

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Brief. You will be asked situational questions to determine how you would react in certain uncomfortable scenarios. They will also ask about your organizational skills with questions about how you would handle multiple appointments or meetings, or pressing deadlines. Sometimes this can be done in as little as five questions or ten. Depends on the panel which is typically 2-3 managers. Depending on the time frame you will be interviewing with several other individuals meaning you will possibly have the opportunity to converse with other potential candidates before walking in. You will possibly also be given a pen and paper in which to write down any questions or thoughts that pop up during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to an individual who is in tears and tells you they don't know how they will pay for the liability generated?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IRS (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I applied as a response to a flyer I saw at my University. I emailed the Rep and got a response back. I was instructed to take an online screening questionnaire that took forever and a day to complete. After that I was requested to come in for an interview with 3 people-2 in person and one on the phone. I thought the interview was okay but the questions didn't seem to match the position they were looking to fill. For example, I was applying for a student intern position but they were asking me questions that I only would have known if I had worked in tax before. This was the one time that I didn't mind behavioral questions because at least those make sense. Overall, they seemed to be nice people. I also had to complete a 30 minute timed essay.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about the F1120.   1 Answer

Seasonal Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy job offer for local people. People received phone calls or correspondence for job offers without going through any interview, we only had to complete lengthy paperwork and prepared proper identification before reporting to work on the first day.

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview essentially was replicating the job application process that I had done online. We specified what positions we preferred and what shifts that we wished to work. A government security check and and fingerprinting was part of the application process. There was a lag of about three weeks before the final job offer was presented and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked for fingerprints, which was a new experience!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Being a government job, the wage range is already preset as a GS level.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Chamblee, GA).

Interview

Tough and intrusive. Background search. Behavioral questions and Brain teaser type questions along personal border line questions all in group multiple questions fill in the black check off the box type questionnaire forms in a group of 45 people for several hours at a time. The training once hired was incredibly difficult as well.

Interview Questions

• What I expected out of the IRS within 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Grueling

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

Interview

Very basic and simple interview. The questions were not compicated and I was interviewed by Contact Representative managers. Think the main point of the interview was to hear how my voice sounded and how I talked.

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Interview

I applied and did not receive a response for 2 months. Then I received notification via email that I made the best qualified list and I was invited to complete an online assessment. I completed an online interactive assessment and a month later I received a call for an interview. Two weeks after the interview I received notification I was hired and I would start 2 weeks after I received the call. From submitting the application to hiring it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle pressure with competing deadlines?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.