IRS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Clerk Interview

Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IRS in November 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview is very long and can sometimes makes people want to stop and go no further. But, you have to have patience to do all the requirements that is ask for in order to gain employment. Which is worth the wait.

Interview Question – Would you go over supervisor head to help customer service reps on the job.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Very competitive, smart people

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself,   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Data Transcriber
Holtsville, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – This was done by first applying in a group setting, then general testing. To apply for the Data Transcriber position, I had to take a data entry test.

Interview Question – Only questions were based on my paperwork, by people working to process people who made it through testing to return for further processing. No traditional interviews were held.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, we were told what each position paid, based on our entry grade.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Apply on USA Jobs. Add transcripts, resume, cover letter. Invitation to take accounting test follows. Score an A. If you don't get an A, you can't retest and you won't get an interview. The test is easy if you have an accounting degree. Then interview with territory manager follows.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral. "What would you do if you had to make a $20,000 adjustment to the tax of a single mother who is a waitress" or "you don't have enough time to meet every deadline and there is no overtime available. What would you do"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. GS-7 or GS-9 to start

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewing for a job in Maryland but did the interview at another IRS office. I dressed up and the person who was at the other location, said you can relax, it is just a phone interview..... Needless to say the interview went well. The phone interview was with my feature manager and one other manager at a different location. A few weeks later I was sent an email with the offer letter.

Interview Question – None really, they even asked me a few math questions which I did in my head. I think the person who was there to watch me during the interview was impress. For the 2nd math question, I did use the person calculator even thou I still had the answer but just wanted to double check. I got no feedback from the managers during the time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, as it is done by OPM

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Tax Examining Technician
Fresno, CA

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in December 2010.

Interview Details – Apply on line and they will send you Email When & Where to go. No inteview for seasonal.

Interview Question – When you apply on line they will give you questionaire to answered the best you can   Answer Question

IRS Contact Representative Interview

IRS Contact Representative

Interviewed at IRS

Interview Details – While the hiring process is lengthy the interview itself was comprised of four fairly logical questions posing potential caller scenarios.

Interview Question – A question about an apparent tax software company error mistakenly directing four taxpayers in a row to call the IRS to obtain their last year's AIG and how to deal with that.   Answer Question

Examiner Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed at IRS in February 2011.

Interview Details – nice but didn't seem organized

Very Easy Interview

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Internal Revenue Agent
Chico, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at IRS in April 2009.

Interview Details – Long, tedious, never know what is going on.

Interview Question – No hard or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

IRS Contact Representative Interview

IRS Contact Representative
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IRS in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online at usajobs.gov. Received email letting me know application is under review. Received another email letting me know to take a test.I did a basic computer test, scheduled for face to face interview with 2 people very simple basic questions pertaining to experience, behavioral based., then took a role paying test in which faux taxpayers would call in, they will give you the info to study for 20 minutes. Afterwards few weeks later had to wait for results for extensive background check and complete lots of paperwork. Very long process but worth it, in spite of budget cuts and furloughs.

Interview Question – None that I can think of.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations everything set in stone

Interviews for Top Jobs at IRS

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS interview questions and advice. All 84 interview reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees and interview candidates.