IRS Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.6

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IRS (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I applied as a response to a flyer I saw at my University. I emailed the Rep and got a response back. I was instructed to take an online screening questionnaire that took forever and a day to complete. After that I was requested to come in for an interview with 3 people-2 in person and one on the phone. I thought the interview was okay but the questions didn't seem to match the position they were looking to fill. For example, I was applying for a student intern position but they were asking me questions that I only would have known if I had worked in tax before. This was the one time that I didn't mind behavioral questions because at least those make sense. Overall, they seemed to be nice people. I also had to complete a 30 minute timed essay.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about the F1120.   1 Answer

Seasonal Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy job offer for local people. People received phone calls or correspondence for job offers without going through any interview, we only had to complete lengthy paperwork and prepared proper identification before reporting to work on the first day.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (Chamblee, GA).

Interview

Tough and intrusive. Background search. Behavioral questions and Brain teaser type questions along personal border line questions all in group multiple questions fill in the black check off the box type questionnaire forms in a group of 45 people for several hours at a time. The training once hired was incredibly difficult as well.

Interview Questions

• What I expected out of the IRS within 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Grueling

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

Interview

Very basic and simple interview. The questions were not compicated and I was interviewed by Contact Representative managers. Think the main point of the interview was to hear how my voice sounded and how I talked.

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Interview

I applied and did not receive a response for 2 months. Then I received notification via email that I made the best qualified list and I was invited to complete an online assessment. I completed an online interactive assessment and a month later I received a call for an interview. Two weeks after the interview I received notification I was hired and I would start 2 weeks after I received the call. From submitting the application to hiring it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle pressure with competing deadlines?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Applied the end of august. It's mid September and I just got offered position after having to complete an online assessment, tap assessment, and interview. Must pass back ground check and criminal record.

Interview Questions

• Questions were the same Genreal questions at any interview. How would you handle conflict? What would you so if you didn't know something? Etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is NO NEGOTIATION. Take it or leave it.

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at IRS (New York, NY).

Interview

I went to the interview for a Paralegal position, and was told that Paralegals are only employed for a maximum of 2 years at the Chief Counsel office in New York. I was then persuaded to take the offer of a position as a Legal Assistant/Secretary for longevity. Under the supervision of a (2) horrible attitude Lead Group Assistants who constantly gave their work to the Legal Assistants/Secretaries, and then took for the credit and praise from them with the attorneys.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions because they only wanted to hire employees to catch up on the back work loads.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was NO negotiations...you either accepted the position offered, or declined. I say to any new candidates considering to work for the IRS to "think twice" before accepting an offer to work for the IRS. As a former employee, I was "black-balled" and have NOT been able to obtain employment for the past 5 years because of the lies and discrepancies that were submitted and inserted on my SF-50. That particular agency of the federal government needs to be investigated for the understaffing and the high turn over of terminated employees.

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IRS.

Interview

Once application is reviewed, a test is administered. If there are openings, multiple panel interview take place. If an offer is made, choice of cities are ranked 1 - 10. If major city, will be placed, not guarantee of where you will be located

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process is pretty lengthy. There are many steps that you have to go through before you are given confirmation that you actulally have the job. The job does require that you take and assessment online and also an assessment onsite. All correspondence are done by email. You will also receive phone call letting ou know to check our email.

Tax Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Well, there is nothing exceptional about it at all. Its an interview for a government position. If you fill out all there paperwork it should be smooth sailing. Just make sure you DO finish all your paperwork. That is key.