IRS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Special Agent Interview

Special Agent
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – There is Centralized hiring and you submit 3 top choices, but you could be sent anywhere in the United States. You must take an examination plus a very detailed difficult interview. One on one as well as group interviews. Drug testing and Psychological testing.

Interview Question – What would you do if you put in a no win situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation.

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Tax Examining Technician
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – The process is long and cumbersome through the internet. Feedback is good. They like resume and transcripts. A background investigation is done after you are hired. Sometimes no interview or one over the phone. Best employer HR for not getting caught up in phoney interview expectations. The color of your resume, suit you are wearing or staying up the night before practicing what HR people like to hear is joyfully not an issue.

Interview Question – They want very much detail that sometimes is very time consuming to look back and find. If you combine employment with company that changed it's name 3 times the background investigation will wonder why you did not list each individually. For years you are out of work they want exact dates.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They go by opm wage tables.

Mail Clerk Interview

Mail Clerk
Covington, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – All correspondence was online. No face to face interview. Basically seemed like you were hired in the order in which the applications were received. Strange process. HE emailed all information and met with me to fill out paperwork, did a background check, then made an offer of employment via email after I passed the background check.

Negotiation Details – Not willing to negotiate.

Contact Representative Interview

Contact Representative
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IRS in October 2013.

Interview Details – Getting through to the interview was very interesting indeed. The testing process was basic and thorough. Do your research on internet and you should get through their process. The whole process takes months of waiting, and then a flurry of process, and back to waiting. Best of luck!

Interview Question – The interview itself was four basic questions asking how you would deal with specific call situations. Very easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Very Difficult Interview

Revenue Officer Interview

Revenue Officer
Monroe, LA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy and detailed. Do not expect this process to be less than approx 6 months from application to offer. Background check is very lengthy and detailed, as to be expected. It included interviews with neighbors, friends and family and prior roommates or people who can verify prior residences.

Interview Question – Many difficult questions pertaining to situation scenarios and how to handle them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Bowie, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with the IRS?   View Answer

Technical Specialist Interview

Technical Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Very competitive, smart people

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself,   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Clerk
Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IRS in November 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview is very long and can sometimes makes people want to stop and go no further. But, you have to have patience to do all the requirements that is ask for in order to gain employment. Which is worth the wait.

Interview Question – Would you go over supervisor head to help customer service reps on the job.   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Data Transcriber
Holtsville, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – This was done by first applying in a group setting, then general testing. To apply for the Data Transcriber position, I had to take a data entry test.

Interview Question – Only questions were based on my paperwork, by people working to process people who made it through testing to return for further processing. No traditional interviews were held.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, we were told what each position paid, based on our entry grade.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Apply on USA Jobs. Add transcripts, resume, cover letter. Invitation to take accounting test follows. Score an A. If you don't get an A, you can't retest and you won't get an interview. The test is easy if you have an accounting degree. Then interview with territory manager follows.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral. "What would you do if you had to make a $20,000 adjustment to the tax of a single mother who is a waitress" or "you don't have enough time to meet every deadline and there is no overtime available. What would you do"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. GS-7 or GS-9 to start

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!