IRS Interview Questions

2.7

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at IRS.

After many months, I received a phone call for a panel interview. The interviewers where professional and friendly. The questions were mostly regarding basic accounting principles with an ethical and personal question.

Interview Questions
    • Ethical Question: How would you handle a sititation where you had overheard only part of a conversation but what you heard sounded like a bribe. A.) Talk to the employee B) Talk to management C) Turn them into the inspector general.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS.

Completed the online application two days before announcement expired, received a call to complete fingerprinting two months later, received a call to complete computer/practice call assessment a month afterwards and received an offer for employment about three months after the assessment.

Interview Questions
    • There was NO interview back in 2006 for contact reps. You have to complete an assessment on a computer taking phone calls from a recruiter that you cannot see. They did not want to see if you would have the right answers necessarily...but rather, if HOW you answered them and followed directions. TIP: They are always monitoring your professionalism. Most of the escorts are actually MANAGERS so behave professionally, dress well and act as if someone is watching you at all times (because they are). 4 years later, I became a Lead / Manager and know first hand. Best wishes   Answer Question
    There was NO negotiation at the time. Now, they base it on your education/experience level and you WILL be measured up to your abilities later on.

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IRS.

Initial hiring is based on an online application, screening, and scoring system. Itf referred for consideration, it is more of a process for lower level than an interview. Application should NOT be a one or two page resume. Make it relevant, but be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Not applicable.

Operations Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Phone interview is the only process for hiring. they do not provide onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the time when you were doing the project handling with the data analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS.

There was a job application to fill out at their site. There was also a test of general basic skills that a high school graduate would have followed by a brief interview for those who passed. The interviewer just asked if I was fine with the job conditions and requirements (such as wearing a headset, etc.). There were no questions on my backgroud or qualifications.

none

Internal Revenue Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IRS in May 2013.

Phone interview is an option. It was also a panel interview of 4. All members of the panel were professional and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were out of the ordinary or difficult.   Answer Question
    The position is a none paying internship. Negotiations do not apply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS in February 2013.

Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IRS in November 2012.

After I applied online I was emailed and told a time and date to get fingerprinted and take a typing test. After going through security you're told to go into a room and await the typing test. While you're waiting for that to begin, people come and get you to get your badge photo taken as well as your fingerprints. Also while you're waiting you get your paperwork checked. The whole process goes much faster if you print out all the required documents from the initial email you get sent. The typing test is mainly 10-key with a little bit of alpha thrown in there. There is a requirement you must meet. I think if you only get 90% accuracy you have to be able to type around 5000wpm. If you're able to type 100% accuracy you have to be able to type around 4500wpm I think. I was told there were a lot of applicants and we couldn't hear back from them for over a month and it would be only by email to grant approval for the background check.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at IRS.

Applied for the position via USAJOBS, took about 2 months prior to hearing back, interview was scheduled rather quick, within the following week

Interview Questions
    • describe how you decreased the taxpayer's burden(internal question)   View Answers (2)

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Holtsville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holtsville, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Applied online, 2 weeks later went in for pre-employment meeting with about 30 others. Piles of paperwork. Then set up another appointment for a telephone assessment and quick interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone assessment they purposefully try to mess you up. A little pressure, but totally doable.   Answer Question
    None, set times and salaries.