IRS Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2014
93 interviews

2.7

Revenue Agent Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS.

You apply on usajobs. When you fill out the grade questionnaire the answers are important. Then you are invited to take a test online. The results of the test and qualifications are scored giving you a ranking. They interview the highest ranking individuals. It took about 6 months to get a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle working with an individual who owes more than she can afford to pay?   View Answer
    • You have a voicemail, email, and a case you are supposed to be working on, what do you do?   View Answer
    There isn't much room for negotiating. If you make more currently you should try to bring it up. Most people start with what they are offered. Grade is very important. The grade you start at cannot be changed once you start working.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at IRS in October 2011.

It was a group interview, done by a panel of 3 supervisors/group managers. They ask a specific set of questions, some are harder, depending upon the candidate, or who they want to let in or promote. No hiring in the last 3 years, and none on the horizon. It is always hard when you are going up against the considered favorite.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember the hardest question I was asked as they all appeared to be difficult.   Answer Question

Computer Audit Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

knowledge of Audit process, tax law and computers

none

Revenue Agent Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Interview process was by a panel and they asked several "what would you do" type scenario questions

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at IRS.

After many months, I received a phone call for a panel interview. The interviewers where professional and friendly. The questions were mostly regarding basic accounting principles with an ethical and personal question.

Interview Questions
    • Ethical Question: How would you handle a sititation where you had overheard only part of a conversation but what you heard sounded like a bribe. A.) Talk to the employee B) Talk to management C) Turn them into the inspector general.   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS.

Completed the online application two days before announcement expired, received a call to complete fingerprinting two months later, received a call to complete computer/practice call assessment a month afterwards and received an offer for employment about three months after the assessment.

Interview Questions
    • There was NO interview back in 2006 for contact reps. You have to complete an assessment on a computer taking phone calls from a recruiter that you cannot see. They did not want to see if you would have the right answers necessarily...but rather, if HOW you answered them and followed directions. TIP: They are always monitoring your professionalism. Most of the escorts are actually MANAGERS so behave professionally, dress well and act as if someone is watching you at all times (because they are). 4 years later, I became a Lead / Manager and know first hand. Best wishes   Answer Question
    There was NO negotiation at the time. Now, they base it on your education/experience level and you WILL be measured up to your abilities later on.

Internal Revenue Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IRS in May 2013.

Phone interview is an option. It was also a panel interview of 4. All members of the panel were professional and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were out of the ordinary or difficult.   Answer Question
    The position is a none paying internship. Negotiations do not apply.

Tax Examiner Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at IRS.

Initial hiring is based on an online application, screening, and scoring system. Itf referred for consideration, it is more of a process for lower level than an interview. Application should NOT be a one or two page resume. Make it relevant, but be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Not applicable.

Operations Research Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Phone interview is the only process for hiring. they do not provide onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the time when you were doing the project handling with the data analysis.   Answer Question

Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS.

There was a job application to fill out at their site. There was also a test of general basic skills that a high school graduate would have followed by a brief interview for those who passed. The interviewer just asked if I was fine with the job conditions and requirements (such as wearing a headset, etc.). There were no questions on my backgroud or qualifications.

none