IRS

2.7

Internal Revenue Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IRS in May 2013.

Phone interview is an option. It was also a panel interview of 4. All members of the panel were professional and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were out of the ordinary or difficult.   Answer Question
    The position is a none paying internship. Negotiations do not apply.

Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in February 2013.

Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IRS in November 2012.

After I applied online I was emailed and told a time and date to get fingerprinted and take a typing test. After going through security you're told to go into a room and await the typing test. While you're waiting for that to begin, people come and get you to get your badge photo taken as well as your fingerprints. Also while you're waiting you get your paperwork checked. The whole process goes much faster if you print out all the required documents from the initial email you get sent. The typing test is mainly 10-key with a little bit of alpha thrown in there. There is a requirement you must meet. I think if you only get 90% accuracy you have to be able to type around 5000wpm. If you're able to type 100% accuracy you have to be able to type around 4500wpm I think. I was told there were a lot of applicants and we couldn't hear back from them for over a month and it would be only by email to grant approval for the background check.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northeast, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

Applied for the position via USAJOBS, took about 2 months prior to hearing back, interview was scheduled rather quick, within the following week

Interview Questions
    • describe how you decreased the taxpayer's burden(internal question)   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holtsville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holtsville, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IRS.

Applied online, 2 weeks later went in for pre-employment meeting with about 30 others. Piles of paperwork. Then set up another appointment for a telephone assessment and quick interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone assessment they purposefully try to mess you up. A little pressure, but totally doable.   Answer Question
    None, set times and salaries.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

Long from the time of applying an getting a email response but they are reviewing shortening the process.

Interview Questions
    • No real intense questions asked you just have to remember its the government an anything negative in your background can possible cause for the interview process to be stalled or stopped.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation your shift is already decided upon & skills test an resume pretty much determines your grade (pay). Clean background no felonys, no previous tax issue, & no previous employer disciplinary issues on file.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IRS in September 2012.

applied online in august, received email a couple weeks later prompting me to undergo an online simulation that would be graded. received followup a couple weeks later inviting me for interview.

Interview Questions
    • Because it is the IRS, part of the interview is an extensive background checl   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in September 2012.

Applied in June and heard back from them in September to take an online assessment test. Passed that then couple of days later was asked to come in for a telephone assessment test and an interview with about 6 questions afterwards. Was told the only Tour of Duty left was 3-11:30 shift. Waiting to hear something back this week.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were general and nothing unexpected for a position of such.   Answer Question
    Not negotiable

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IRS in August 2012.

I was interviewing for a job in Maryland but did the interview at another IRS office. I dressed up and the person who was at the other location, said you can relax, it is just a phone interview..... Needless to say the interview went well. The phone interview was with my feature manager and one other manager at a different location. A few weeks later I was sent an email with the offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • None really, they even asked me a few math questions which I did in my head. I think the person who was there to watch me during the interview was impress. For the 2nd math question, I did use the person calculator even thou I still had the answer but just wanted to double check. I got no feedback from the managers during the time.   Answer Question
    None, as it is done by OPM

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in August 2012.

I applied online at usajobs.gov. Received email letting me know application is under review. Received another email letting me know to take a test.I did a basic computer test, scheduled for face to face interview with 2 people very simple basic questions pertaining to experience, behavioral based., then took a role paying test in which faux taxpayers would call in, they will give you the info to study for 20 minutes. Afterwards few weeks later had to wait for results for extensive background check and complete lots of paperwork. Very long process but worth it, in spite of budget cuts and furloughs.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations everything set in stone