IRS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Examiner Interview

Tax Examiner
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Question – How do you deal with handling customer concerns?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Very Easy Interview

Data Transcriber Interview

Data Transcriber
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at IRS in November 2012.

Interview Details – After I applied online I was emailed and told a time and date to get fingerprinted and take a typing test. After going through security you're told to go into a room and await the typing test. While you're waiting for that to begin, people come and get you to get your badge photo taken as well as your fingerprints. Also while you're waiting you get your paperwork checked. The whole process goes much faster if you print out all the required documents from the initial email you get sent. The typing test is mainly 10-key with a little bit of alpha thrown in there. There is a requirement you must meet. I think if you only get 90% accuracy you have to be able to type around 5000wpm. If you're able to type 100% accuracy you have to be able to type around 4500wpm I think. I was told there were a lot of applicants and we couldn't hear back from them for over a month and it would be only by email to grant approval for the background check.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent
Northeast, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Applied for the position via USAJOBS, took about 2 months prior to hearing back, interview was scheduled rather quick, within the following week

Interview Question – describe how you decreased the taxpayer's burden(internal question)   View Answers (2)

Revenue Agent Interview

Revenue Agent
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in March 2008.

Interview Details – Online scenario test. Wait 6 weeks until interview offer. Wait another 4 weeks until interview. Wait 5 weeks after interview to job offer. Wait another 4 weeks until start date.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better job offer.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at IRS in September 2012.

Interview Details – applied online in august, received email a couple weeks later prompting me to undergo an online simulation that would be graded. received followup a couple weeks later inviting me for interview.

Interview Question – Because it is the IRS, part of the interview is an extensive background checl   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied in June and heard back from them in September to take an online assessment test. Passed that then couple of days later was asked to come in for a telephone assessment test and an interview with about 6 questions afterwards. Was told the only Tour of Duty left was 3-11:30 shift. Waiting to hear something back this week.

Interview Question – Interview questions were general and nothing unexpected for a position of such.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Very Difficult Interview

Individual Tax Advisory Specialist Interview

Individual Tax Advisory Specialist
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IRS in June 2009.

Interview Details – Detailed, they know all about you, do not lie, the IRS is a great place to work if you qualify. You must be clean but very clean, no bad marks, and you must not be disabled they will find out and let you go.

Interview Question – Do you have any bank accounts in another state? I did not comprehend until after my father's death, he had hidden accounts using my name to hide his money and I still have not found them. Yet the IRS knows where they are.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but I wish I had not accepted the job, tough as nails with 85 case loads per month and no room for error.

Holtsville, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Applied online, 2 weeks later went in for pre-employment meeting with about 30 others. Piles of paperwork. Then set up another appointment for a telephone assessment and quick interview.

Interview Question – During the phone assessment they purposefully try to mess you up. A little pressure, but totally doable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, set times and salaries.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Long from the time of applying an getting a email response but they are reviewing shortening the process.

Interview Question – No real intense questions asked you just have to remember its the government an anything negative in your background can possible cause for the interview process to be stalled or stopped.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation your shift is already decided upon & skills test an resume pretty much determines your grade (pay). Clean background no felonys, no previous tax issue, & no previous employer disciplinary issues on file.

Data Transcriber Interview

Data Transcriber
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS in December 2009.

Interview Details – After passing a typing test (three chances to pass) they told you when to show up for two week class. Your picture for your ID was taken at that time.

Interview Question – No question asked was too difficult or unexpected. Routine questions. They do a background check on you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked you if you wanted the job and when the two week classes start. The salary is not negotiable - it's preset.