IRS Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

2.6

Tax Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Initial hiring is based on an online application, screening, and scoring system. Itf referred for consideration, it is more of a process for lower level than an interview. Application should NOT be a one or two page resume. Make it relevant, but be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Negotiation

Not applicable.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Phone interview is the only process for hiring. they do not provide onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the time when you were doing the project handling with the data analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

There was a job application to fill out at their site. There was also a test of general basic skills that a high school graduate would have followed by a brief interview for those who passed. The interviewer just asked if I was fine with the job conditions and requirements (such as wearing a headset, etc.). There were no questions on my backgroud or qualifications.

Negotiation

none

Internal Revenue Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Quincy, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview is an option. It was also a panel interview of 4. All members of the panel were professional and pleasant.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were out of the ordinary or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is a none paying internship. Negotiations do not apply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Initially, I had to apply through the federal job website, then complete numerous processing forms (e.g. background check form, tax compliance form) and fingerprinting. Subsequently, I was contacted over the phone and had a brief interview with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of about six or seven questions and lasted about 15 - 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It just necessitated replying to a job offer email.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

three different exam and additional training.Share your interview experience insights with job seekers so that they can know what to expect from the hiring process.We review and approve every submission against our Community Guidelines before it is published to the site

Interview Questions

• no interview question, only exams We review and approve every submission against our Community Guidelines before it is published to the site   1 Answer

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS in December 2012.

Interview

No interview. Based on answers to online questions and resume. Essentially, you need to answer that you are as flexible as possible -- what location, what shift (day, night or whatever the choices are. Apply for Seasonal positions if you can afford to do so. Often seasonal jobs get extended all year. Then just try to get good at the job. Does not take much to stand out. Then, apply to be an instructor in your department in advance of the next training class. That is a big help in moving forward.

Interview Questions

• No questions. Totally based on online question answers which are basically generic about your skills.   1 Answer

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IRS in November 2012.

Interview

Upon submitting your resume to the IRS, you will be asked to take an online assessment. Basically, you are given a simulated phone conversation with a database of information in order to see how well you can use the information to answer questions. If you score well enough on the test you are asked to come in for an additional live assessment. During this test, you speak to a person pretending to be a customer. You answer their question based on information you are given before the test. At this stage, you are also given a brief interview by a manager where they ask you general interview questions.

Interview Questions

• A fake customer becomes irate at an answer you are required to give them. They demand a supervisor and you are instructed to assure them a supervisor will only give them the same answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

You are given the specific salary upon submitting your application. Negotiation is typically not entertained.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in November 2012.

Interview

After I applied online I was emailed and told a time and date to get fingerprinted and take a typing test. After going through security you're told to go into a room and await the typing test. While you're waiting for that to begin, people come and get you to get your badge photo taken as well as your fingerprints. Also while you're waiting you get your paperwork checked. The whole process goes much faster if you print out all the required documents from the initial email you get sent. The typing test is mainly 10-key with a little bit of alpha thrown in there. There is a requirement you must meet. I think if you only get 90% accuracy you have to be able to type around 5000wpm. If you're able to type 100% accuracy you have to be able to type around 4500wpm I think. I was told there were a lot of applicants and we couldn't hear back from them for over a month and it would be only by email to grant approval for the background check.

Supervisory Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northeast, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Northeast, NY).

Interview

Applied for the position via USAJOBS, took about 2 months prior to hearing back, interview was scheduled rather quick, within the following week

Interview Questions

• describe how you decreased the taxpayer's burden(internal question)   2 Answers