IRS

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Revenue Agent

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – You apply on usajobs. When you fill out the grade questionnaire the answers are important. Then you are invited to take a test online. The results of the test and qualifications are scored giving you a ranking. They interview the highest ranking individuals. It took about 6 months to get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle working with an individual who owes more than she can afford to pay?   View Answer
  • You have a voicemail, email, and a case you are supposed to be working on, what do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't much room for negotiating. If you make more currently you should try to bring it up. Most people start with what they are offered. Grade is very important. The grade you start at cannot be changed once you start working.

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at IRS in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview, done by a panel of 3 supervisors/group managers. They ask a specific set of questions, some are harder, depending upon the candidate, or who they want to let in or promote. No hiring in the last 3 years, and none on the horizon. It is always hard when you are going up against the considered favorite.

Interview Question – I do not remember the hardest question I was asked as they all appeared to be difficult.   Answer Question

Revenue Agent

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Interview Details – Interview process was by a panel and they asked several "what would you do" type scenario questions

Interview Question – Make sure you practice with a mock interview.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in March 2008.

Interview Details – Online scenario test. Wait 6 weeks until interview offer. Wait another 4 weeks until interview. Wait 5 weeks after interview to job offer. Wait another 4 weeks until start date.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better job offer.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IRS in July 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewed comprised of 6 scenarios about the actual job.

Interview Questions

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!